ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: All right....who said country music sucks? Return to archive
August 19th, 2005 01:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I thought I read that here. I can imagine someone actually saying that, (I mean I say alot of things I don't mean) but actually thinking that kind of scares me. C & W is the bread and butter of the modern world. Country is God's favourte music...well this side of classical.
August 19th, 2005 01:12 PM
Nellcote Several good country cd's I've picked up this year....

Dwight Yoakam
Van Zant
Rodney Crowell
and....the up and coming Shooter Jennings who wants you to help him to:

"PUT THE O BACK IN C UNTRY....."

Now, while I've not bought it yet, certain songs from Big & Rich, as well as the comical Cowboy Troy, have caught my ear...GITUSUMOFDAT!

TTM, will you be seen @ Fenway?
August 19th, 2005 02:14 PM
Jumping Jack I saw an interview on CMT yesterday with Ronnie Dunn who was wearing a Stones shirt!
August 19th, 2005 02:50 PM
Jair I love

Lyle Lovett
Dwight Yoakam
Mavericks
Neil Young
Stones
Bob Dylan
Johnny Cash
kd Lang........& many many more
August 19th, 2005 03:42 PM
Factory Girl I think that Waylon Jennings & Wiilie Nelson are great.
August 19th, 2005 03:56 PM
time is on my side I can't think of any country acts I like. Nah, just joking. I'm from the South and plenty of people like country acts down around these parts. As far as the ones I like, I'll have to get back with you.

O.K.- I thought of a few

Hank Williams (the original one)
Johnny Cash
Lucinda Williams (when she sings them)
August 19th, 2005 05:11 PM
Back Street Girl I did
August 19th, 2005 05:13 PM
Child of the Moon I'm definitely more of a fan of the old, weird country... the white man's blues, so to speak. Almost anything up to the mid-70's is fair game for me. Once the pop side of it began to take over, that's when I began to look away.

But, man, the classics are in place, and there is no debating their stature.
August 19th, 2005 07:36 PM
The Wick Merle Haggard is a bloody legend.
August 19th, 2005 07:38 PM
T&A there isn't a lot of real country music out there today. merle's one of the last true country artists. i'm talking the school of hank williams, hank snow, lefty frizzell....what often passes today as country ain't....
August 20th, 2005 12:42 AM
corgi37 Country = dumb.
August 20th, 2005 01:20 AM
Bloozehound there's alot of great country artists working today, but you'll never hear them on cmt or generic clear channel country radio stations

they're too good for that if you know what I mean
August 21st, 2005 01:23 AM
Bloozehound whether u guys want to face it not, hank williams sr was the godfather of rock n roll

he stole the "nigger" blues and made it white

and Gary Stewart RIP was the king of h9onky tonk
August 21st, 2005 05:43 AM
Starbuck i, for one, know that country music sucks.

August 21st, 2005 08:24 AM
corgi37 Hooray for Starbucks!

You and me, mate.
August 21st, 2005 09:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i, for one, know that country music sucks.

It sucks because of the shittiness of the acts who are the most popular (the guy in the photo is one of them, Shania Twain is another) and who are therefore the public 'perception' of the genre these days.

The industry unfortunately devotes much of its time and money into championing such trash at the expense of genuinely superb artists - such as Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams and many others - who are as good as any act on the planet but who dont 'fit' a certain agenda and because American radio seems too pigeonholed in terms of rigid musical genres.

By the same token, most rock n roll music in the last 20 years "sucks" if you look at the top selling acts who are it's standard bearers to much of the general public, eg Bon Jovi for fucks sake.
August 21st, 2005 10:38 AM
parmeda
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I'm definitely more of a fan of the old, weird country... the white man's blues, so to speak. Almost anything up to the mid-70's is fair game for me. Once the pop side of it began to take over, that's when I began to look away.

But, man, the classics are in place, and there is no debating their stature.

I agree wholeheartedly with you...

In the early 80's C&W took a turn for the worse, IMO.
To this day, you couldn't pay me to walk into a C&W joint.
Shit, most definately, will hit the fan...

Bring bond money!
August 21st, 2005 11:06 AM
polksalad69
quote:
parmeda wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with you...

In the early 80's C&W took a turn for the worse, IMO.
To this day, you couldn't pay me to walk into a C&W joint.
Shit, most definately, will hit the fan...

Bring bond money!

You ever been to Carol's on the north side? Supposed to be a real country bar but they had pop cuntry like Timmy McGraw posters on the wall. Anyway, the Waco Bros and Devil in a Woodpile played there last weekend. We had one of the regular old man drunks tossed for not leaving us alone.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)