ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HST Goes Out With A Bang! (nsc) Return to archive
August 19th, 2005 09:26 AM
FPM C10 Gonzo in Space: Hunter S. Thompson to Go Out With a Bang on Saturday
By E&P Staff

Published: August 17, 2005 5:00 PM ET

NEW YORK The ashes of Hunter S. Thompson, the late gonzo journalist, will be launched into space on Saturday in Woody Creek, Colo., as he requested.

Rather than a simple shot-from-a-cannon approach, it will take the form of his ashes being dispersed in a fireworks display in his back yard, near Aspen. Actor Johnny Depp, who played him in a movie, has been deeply involved in the planning, and is reportedly financing much of it.

Thompson, 67, shot himself to death in February.

Zambelli Fireworks Internationale, based in New Castle, Pa., will do the honors.

"We have never had a request such as this one in our company's history," Marcy Zambelli, chief executive officer of Zambelli Fireworks, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gaztte this week. "But we respect the request of the family and have actually custom engineered an aerial shell specifically designed to carry out his final wish."

Zambelli said Thompson's widow Anita Thompson delivered some of her husband's ashes to their office last week. The ashes, now in firework shells, are headed back to Colorado today, by land.

After a red, white and blue intro, and drum rolls, Thompson's ashes will be shot out of a 150-foot-tall monument, his precise wish, and dispersed from 34 different shells.

Saturday's memorial (liquor will be served) will include readings from Thompson's work and performances by Lyle Lovett and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. About 250 people are invited, including actors Depp and Sean Penn
August 19th, 2005 09:29 AM
Joey

Good Morning Fleabit !!!!
August 19th, 2005 09:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels God bless him. I hope Hell's hot.
August 19th, 2005 10:24 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
God bless him. I hope Hell's hot.

Me too! I also hope the drinks are cheap and that Dr. Thompson saves me a seat at the bar.

And good morning to you too, Young Joey! Have you had your morning....

----------IMMEDIATE END TO TRANSMISSION---------------------
????
August 19th, 2005 04:26 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

And good morning to you too, Young Joey! Have you had your morning....

----------IMMEDIATE END TO TRANSMISSION---------------------
????

Yes my C10 Brother ...........

and my mid - morning , late - morning , pre- afternoon , afternoon , mid - afternoon , late - afternoon , early evening , .................. Whoops ! :

********* END TRANSMISSION *****************
August 19th, 2005 04:35 PM
sirmoonie Circus Circus is what the world would be doing every Saturday night if the Nazis had won the war.

We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.......so now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - - the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back......
[Edited by sirmoonie]
[Edited by Art Schlichter]
[Inspired by Mercury Morris]
[Edited by Eddie Gaedel and Casear Cedeno]
[Edited by sirmoonie]
August 19th, 2005 06:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot That is one of the BEST books ever....and the movie does it justice too!

I gotta buy that for the collection sometime.
August 19th, 2005 06:55 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
That is one of the BEST books ever....and the movie does it justice too!

I gotta buy that for the collection sometime.

I just re-read the book, and it made me love the movie even more.

The scene where they enter Circus-Circus in the throes of an ether binge makes me laugh til I hurt.

Boy, that whole movie would just make NO sense if you'd never done drugs. But if you HAVE, you can't stop laughing.
August 19th, 2005 07:32 PM
sirmoonie Yeah, Johnny Depp outdid himself on that one.

And when he is booking back to LA at the end and JJF start up, it is just a chilling moment. My god.
August 21st, 2005 11:04 AM
FPM C10 Posted on Sun, Aug. 21, 2005

M O R E N E W S F R O M
• Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Hunter Thompson and friends hold one last big blast

By T.R. Reid

THE WASHINGTON POST

WOODY CREEK, Colo - Hunter S. Thompson, the Kentucky-born journalist who became poet laureate of a-drug-fueled American counter-culture, bid a noisy farewell to his friends and his farm last night as his cremated ashes were blasted into the Colorado sky amid a huge fireworks display.

Six months to the day after the ailing and depressed author shot himself to death at the age of 67, some 350 friends -- from New York, Hollywood, and working ranches down the road -- raised their drinks toward the modernistic tower that served as a cannon firing his ashes several hundred feet high. As the ashes erupted from a tower, fireworks lit up the sky over Thompson's home near Aspen.

The ceremony, in a muddy field behind Thompson's cluttered farmhouse a dozen miles north of Aspen, followed a plan the writer had set forth years before his death. Actor Johnny Depp, who played Thompson in the 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, organized the event and paid the bills -- something in excess of $2 million, according to Thompson's family.

"Hunter told us over and over that he was serious about firing his ashes into the sky," the author's son, Juan Thompson, said yesterday. "He kept saying this is not just one of his deranged ideas. He was serious on this one.

"He said we should hear his friends talking, hear ice clinking in whiskey glasses, and then this cannon blasts off. And that's the end of Hunter."

It was the biggest social event in years for Woody Creek, a rural community on the Roaring Fork River that was clearly the down-market end of greater Aspen when Thompson bought the 40-acre spread he called Owl Farm in 1968.

Thompson's old house, where he wrote and held forth for the neighbors in the kitchen, has changed little in the intervening decades, friends said. But rustic Woody Creek has been gentrified, a fact that angered the author. "Frankly, he was disgusted by all the trophy homes where there used to be forest," said Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis.

The "trophy home" owners were not invited to the wake last night.

"Look, everybody wants to get into this party," said friend and neighbor Mike Cleverly, who did get in. "But the invitation list is tight. You'd have a better chance getting in to see George W. to complain about the war."

Among those present, family members said, were actors Sean Penn and Bill Murray, along with Depp, and Ralph Steadman, the artist whose psychedelic sketches illustrated several of Thompson's books. Lyle Lovett and the Nitty Ditty Dirt Band were scheduled to perform.

Thompson began his professional career as a reporter for the Middletown, N.Y., Record and then moved into free-lancing. Amid the national turmoil of the Vietnam War years, he developed a manic first-person style -- he called it "gonzo journalism" that focused as much on drugs and alcohol as on the places and people he was covering.

Thompson conceded much of his reporting was fictional, but his admirers said he used imaginative touches to get close to the truth. Former senator and presidential candidate George McGovern called Thompson's reports on the 1972 presidential campaign "inaccurate and irreverent and truthful."

Juan Thompson noted that the event was designed according to Hunter Thompson's wishes -- but that Thompson himself would not have attended, given the choice.

"My father wouldn't have actually gone to anything like this," Juan Thompson said. "He would have set himself up in a corner, at a bar or in the kitchen, and let people come up to him one by one. He didn't like mob scenes. He didn't do big parties."

The 15-story tower was modeled after Thompson's logo: a clenched fist, made symmetrical with two thumbs, rising from the hilt of a dagger. It was built between his home and a tree-covered canyon wall, not far from a tent filled with merrymakers.

"He loved explosions," explained his wife, Anita Thompson.

August 21st, 2005 11:22 AM
Nasty Habits "I feel like I might as well be sitting up here carving the words for my own tombstone . . . and when I finish the only fitting exit will be right straight off this fucking terrace and into The Fountain, 28 stories below and at least 200 yards out into the air and across Fifth Avenue.

Nobody could follow that act.

Not even me . . . and in fact the only way I can deal with this eerie situation at all is to make a conscious decision that I have already lived and finished the life I planned to live -- and everything from now on will be a New Life, a different thing, a gig that ends tonight and starts tomorrow morning.

So if I decide to leap for the Fountain . . . I want to make one thing perfectly clear -- I would genuinely love to make that leap, and if I don't I will always consider it a mistake and a failed opportunity, one of the very few serious mistakes of my First Life that is now ending.

But what the hell? I probably won't do it (for all the wrong reasons) . . . but Jesus it would be a wonderful way to gou out. . . and if I do you bastards are going to owe me a king hell 44 gune slutr (the word is "salute" goddamit -- I guess I can't work this elegant typewriter as well as I thought I could . . .

HST #1, RIP
12/23/77"
August 21st, 2005 11:25 AM
mac_daddy
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)