ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

St Jakob Stadion, Basel, Switzerland July 29, 1995
By Chief Moon!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Press gig reviews Return to archive
08-17-02 04:04 PM
CS Royale event
With stars in the crowd, Rolling Stones rock the Palais
By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROLLING STONES
Palais Royale, Toronto
Friday, August 16, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call them rock music's Royale family.

Sir Mick and The Rolling Stones last night played their third Toronto club gig in nine years, hitting the stage at Palais Royale on Sunnyside Beach at 10:42 p.m.

They dazzled a star-studded crowd of about 1,000 -- which included actresses Sharon Stone, Kate Hudson and Liv Tyler -- literally until "just around midnight" with their encore song, Brown Sugar.

"It was great fun. We had a laugh. Thanks, everybody," singer Mick Jagger said at the end.

The Stones opened their set with a searing version of their 1974 classic It's Only Rock And Roll, amid deafening cheers.

After the opening number, Jagger took off his jacket to reveal a sparkling turquoise tank-top with silver sequins that spelled out 'LICK' - and asked the crowd, "Are you okay?" They responded in the affirmative, despite the suffocating heat that drove many to seek cooler temperatures outside -- on the dance hall's wooden deck and below on the pavement.

Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood, and drummer Charlie Watts -- with help from bassist Daryl Jones, a keyboardist, three backup singers and a four-man horn section -- then launched into Sad, Sad, Sad, a song from their 1989 Steel Wheels album.

Among the 700 invited guests in the 80-year-old lakefront dancehall was a slew of star actors, also including Dennis Quaid and James Spader. An additional 300 people bought tickets early yesterday morning.

The Stones' third song was If You Can't Rock Me, a staple of their '70s shows, and it was followed by such crowd-pleasers as Honky Tonk Woman, Wild Horses, Heart Of Stone, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Whenever the band did attempt a more obscure tune -- such as Torn & Frayed -- Jagger joked sarcastically: "I'm sure it's going to sound perfect."

Not to be outdone in the vocal department was Richards, dressed in his trademark bandana with matching purple shirt and tank top, who took over the microphone for Happy much to the pleasure of everyone assembled.

"We are rehearsing," he emphasized with a chuckle before doing the song proud.

The Stones have been in Toronto since late July, rehearsing for their fall North American "Licks" tour, which coincides with the release of their 40-year retrospective, double-CD Forty Licks.

"It's great to get out here and play, I tell you that," said Jagger early in the hour-and-20-minute set.

"We've been here four weeks, but it sounds like four days," he added self-deprecating.

Doors at Palais Royale opened last night at 8:30 p.m., later than expected as concert-goers milled about on the dance hall's back deck that opened onto the lake.

Opening act Danko Jones didn't go on until 9:10 p.m., playing 12 songs in 35 minutes.

It was the gig of a lifetime for the Toronto hard-rockers and they were fearless in their approach, playing a confident, cocky and generally intense set.

The oozing-with-personality lead singer -- after whom the band is named -- obviously takes his on-stage cues from Gene Simmons of KISS, for he was wagging his tongue as much as he was singing.

One of their songs, Papa, fittingly included the lyric, "Papa, I'm a Rolling Stone."

Drummer Damon Richardson was almost as frenetic as Stewart Copeland of The Police, while bassist John (JC) Calabrese was the quietest of the loud-sounding trio.

In the end, it was Calabrese who was approached by lovely Liv Tyler, who complimented him on the group's set.

"Tonight, a boy from Thornhill, a boy from Scarborough, and a boy Cosenza, Italy, are going to open up for the Rolling Stones in their hometown," Jones said early on, grinning from ear to ear to huge applause.

Both bands were filmed for a future Stones documentary.

The Stones are expected to leave Toronto next week prior to their Sept. 3 tour launch in Boston. They'll return for two shows -- Oct. 16 at the ACC, and Oct. 18 at the SkyDome.

08-17-02 04:56 PM
Jaxx another this one from NME:

HOT STUFF!

The ROLLING STONES performed a surprise club show last night (August 16) in TORONTO as a warm-up for their upcoming World Tour
The band's tour isn't officially due to start until next month. However, they played a show at the city's Palais Royale venue to 1000 lucky ticket holders.

Taking the stage a few minutes before 11pm, the band performed 15 songs from their career, including the live debut of 'Don�t Stop', one of four new numbers included on the '40 Licks' compilation.

In addition to the ticket holders and VIPs packed inside the lakeshore dancehall, hundreds waited outside around the venue�s perimeter. Tickets for the show went on sale early Friday morning and were gone almost immediately.

Although the gig wasn�t without miscues, particularly lead singer Mick Jagger fluffing lyrics to 'Heart Of Stone', the Stones didn�t seem content on rehashing long-time setlist favourites.

'Hot Stuff' from the 'Black and Blue' album and 'Can�t You Hear Me Knocking' from 'Sticky Fingers' were two tracks rarely performed during recent tours on display. Another surprise was an Otis Redding cover called 'I Can�t Turn You Loose' which featured a dominating horn section. Earlier in the evening, the group performed eight songs as part of a soundcheck.

The set ran:

'It�s Only Rock �n� Roll'
'Sad Sad Sad' '
If You Can�t Rock Me'
'Stray Cat Blues'
'Hot Stuff'
'Don�t Stop'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Torn And Frayed'
'Wild Horses'
'Happy'
'I Can�t Turn You Loose'
'Heart Of Stone'
'Can�t You Hear Me Knocking'
'Jumping Jack Flash'
'Brown Sugar'

Published: 17-08-2002-11-37
08-17-02 05:50 PM
Scot Rocks Thanks people and the verdict seems pretty positive which is great and yes it seems by reports that Woody was kicking ass. Things are looking good!!!!!!

Mark

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road