ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

St Jakob Stadion, Basel, Switzerland July 29, 1995
By Chief Moon!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why Toronto Return to archive
08-16-02 05:41 PM
scull Hello,

Just a question that keeps nagging me, what is it that keeps
the Stones returning to Toronto for rehersals and pre- tour
warmup dates?

I know they don't use Toronto every time, but there's been
quite a few now. Considering some of the (not so nice) things
that have happenned there in the history of the Stones,
there must be something special about that city.

Anyone have any thoughts?
08-16-02 05:45 PM
Mr T probably the best way for them to stay out of the public eye - but their still close enough to civilization to conveniently do a warmup gig. their a lot more popular in the US - so I'd imagine if they were wandering arounf NYC everyday & going to rehearsals there they'd get more caught up with people & would never get any work done. I guess it's really just a privacy issue
08-16-02 05:51 PM
scull Sounds like good reasoning to me, I think I read something
along those lines back when they went there for the El Mocambo
dates - close to the US (for bizness) but a quieter atmosphere -
easier for security. These days though the world seems much smaller
and it seems as though they could work up the set anywhere.

Maybe it's just getting to be a tradition, and get's the guys
'in the mood'. Keith at least seems to be a big one for keeping
with the bands 'traditions'
08-16-02 06:05 PM
Moonisup well same reasong why there doing Amsterdam a lot, relaxed place to be
08-16-02 06:12 PM
torn&frayed Tax Purposes - the band is only allowed to spend 100 some odd days in the States as a result of a tax court ruling a number of years ago and they have tax issues in England as well. Since then they've chosen Canada for rehearsals.
08-16-02 06:32 PM
MRD8 They've rehearsed there for the last three tours because thats where Michael Cohl's business is located...
08-16-02 07:36 PM
mattb Tax reasons.
08-16-02 07:45 PM
Im_Shattered CAUSE IT'S IN CANADA!
08-16-02 08:07 PM
sammy davis jr. Everything is cheaper in Toronto due to the currency exchange.....Toronto has become known as "Hollywood South" because so many movies are filmed there
08-16-02 08:25 PM
Gazza one reason and one reason alone...

T-A-X

When the Stones played three rescheduled Canadian shows in April 1998 and then ended the short 5-date tour with a concert at Chicago's United Center - they even flew out of Chicago right after the show so they could be back in Canada before midnight for tax reasons apparently!
08-16-02 10:47 PM
Scottfree Actually I read at one point, it had something to do with their visa's!! (mastercard i'm bored)
08-16-02 11:27 PM
T&A one word: taxes
08-17-02 06:42 AM
scull I guess I thought there might be some more romantic reason
but I think you guys are spot on, tax is a good enough reason.

Whatever, sounds like last night was amazin'
08-17-02 08:30 AM
Packet I'm in Toronto (and sadly, no, I couldnt get to the concert yesterday - found out too late to get tickets... tears) - from what I've heard from radio stations and from people,
the Stones like Toronto as a city - some local radio station (cant recall which one) once mentioned a couple of months ago stuff like it was their favorite city because they can go anywhere and suddenly the entire place is like 'IT'S THE STONES'.
of course, i'd expect they'd have that effect anywhere

but anyway, that's my 0.02

*quietly grumbling over yesterday and waiting for the concerts to start*
[Edited by Packet]
08-17-02 09:06 AM
Gazza well....maybe I'll rephrase what I said earlier going by the way the thread has dveleoped.

Reason why they rehearse in Canada : taxes
Reason why they choose Toronto of all Canadian cities - they like it there and its a bit more relaxed!
08-17-02 10:13 PM
annex_crowe If they were rehearsing,etc in an American city,would it be questioned?
08-18-02 06:06 AM
Moonisup Let's not forget, tax is also the reason they are often in Amsterdam rehearsing, their headquater is in HOLLAND!!!!!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road