ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Bachir Attar, 1989
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Tour BooHa and a Mick Bit Return to archive
07-25-01 10:52 AM
Jaxx Neil Travis
NY Post

July 25, 2001 -- Rolling Stones' gala tour a lo$t cause

EVEN as Madonna sweeps into Madison Square Garden tonight on the latest leg of her sold-out world tour, Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones are being told that they can't always get what they want.

What Mick and the boys want is a Madonna-scale tour next year to mark the 40th anniversary of what they call, with good reason, the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band. But I understand the Stones' business advisers have put the kibosh on the plan because financial projections indicate the tour could be a relative bust.

"Mick loves to tour, but even he is beginning to wonder if it might not be time to go into semi-retirement and maybe just do some pay-per-views in small venues to mark the anniversary," says one industry observer.

"The music business has changed and is in a slump,"he continues. "Clever Madonna can adjust to the new ways and she has a younger fan base than the Stones, who could be faced with the embarrassment of a lot of empty seats if they mount a monster tour."

The advisers have supposedly told the guys that the days when they could make $50 million a head for a year on the road are long gone. "Kids are into rap, boy bands and little-girl acts," says a promoter. "Madonna and U2 are the only mature acts that can guarantee SRO."

If it is time for Jagger to hang up his guitar, he'll have plenty of other things to do. He just gained membership in the 240-year-old Marylebone Cricket Club (something more prized than a knighthood), and can now spend his days at Lord's cricket ground watching the hapless English team being thrashed by former colonials.

NY Post Liz Smith

July 25, 2001 -- Hot summer reading

'IF I open my mouth to speak, must I always be correct, and by whose standard?" asks the feisty novelist Alice Walker.

JUST WAIT for Aug. 7, when St. Martin's Press releases the Bebe Buell memoir, written with Victor Bockris. Titled "Rebel Heart: An American Rock and Roll Journey," this is the "tell all" book of the year. Bebe, of course, is the mother of actress Liv Tyler (Liv's father is Aerosmith's Steven Tyler). Bebe is a former Ford model, a former Playboy Playmate, a one-time manager to her famous daughter and the perennial darling of the rock 'n' roll crowd. Her book party is set to happen the night of publication at the downtown club Don Hill's.

You can literally open this book anywhere and find funny and delicious anecdotes never told before. A variety of boldface names are included: Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Mick and/or Bianca Jagger, Jerry Hall, Andy Warhol, Patti Smith, Todd Rundgren, Elvis Costello, Jimmy Page, Brian Setzer, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart and naturally, the Aerosmith gang. Last March, director Cameron Crowe told Bebe that he had partially based the character played by Kate Hudson in the movie "Almost Famous" on her.

Bebe discusses her history in rock music and the Hollywood "Boys Club," where she was often the only female in the group.

She talks of its double standard. "Men want their women to be good little girls who never do anything while they get to be pirates and do everything. And it never changes."

Here are just a few excerpts. "Mick Jagger is almost a textbook version of a perfect lover, because you can be pretty much assured that anything anyone would do to you, he's going to try it." . . . Jack Nicholson's first breakup with Anjelica Huston in 1981: "He was so depressed, he would cry all night. It was really bad. He was a mess, truly distraught . . . He loved Anjelica, but she went through periods of having had enough of him." She recalls that Jack let Warren Beatty invite a bevy of starlets over who tried to cheer him up in his Jacuzzi while Buell and Beatty watched them from afar . . . Bebe writes of her friendship with John Lennon during his infamous "lost weekend" in 1974; with "Helen," who was the dwarf mascot of the Sex Pistols . . . She tells of her platonic relationship with David Bowie, who she says was "More interested in putting on makeup."

Bebe says when she met Steven Tyler, who was then 29, he had a 15-year-old girlfriend. "I was the older woman," writes Bebe "and I was only 23!" The book includes the story of how her daughter Liv Tyler thought, until age 10, that Todd Rundgren was her father. Bebe says that Steven Tyler was addicted to drugs and so she walked out on him before their baby was born. Rundgren offered to step in. The details laid out here, are told with wit and compassion.

07-25-01 03:18 PM
The Eggman Pardon My Language but FUCK THAT!

Stones will sale a million tickets..whatever the case

I mean come on The Stones survived the the 60's Flower Power era, the 70's disco'punk, and the 80's retro era, and the 90's liberal ways with much ease. Doing a tour in 2001 will be no problem , i mean sure kids are into boybands, rap, and lil teenage pop,so all the Stones havefta do is PROMOTE like crazy,or reflect to the younger audience saying this is what they did and how they did it, and maybe just maybe it may strike a thought into those depressed teenage minds that the STONES ARE GODS!!!
07-25-01 07:28 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 yep! i don't believe a damn word of it either. the stones will sellout no matter what.
07-25-01 07:52 PM
SAGJ Someone out there must be handing out fountain of youth pills, because every time I go see the Stones, there are plenty of people who LOOK like teenagers, zits and all...

When are these hacks going to realize that their vacant, mainstream marketing standards apply only to here-today-gone-tomorrow crap? The best there is remains true and constant, and if that's not the Stones, I don't know what is. Of course the Stones will tour. Look at it this way: everybody has to eat, even people who get paid to write every day, even if they have nothing to write about.

On the bright side, maybe they'll scare Mick into thinking no one will show and they'll only charge $25 a ticket!!! No, huh?
07-26-01 01:56 AM
Stonesmillenium2001 Rolling Stones are classic and will stand the test of time. People will see them constantly. They are like Beethoven and Mozart. People will see them in droves.
07-26-01 02:27 PM
Jaxx absolutely, i agree with that last statement. the boyz are classics and nothing is going to change that. it's absurd to say that the stones won't sell out. please don't insult our intelligence.

it seems that the press likes to make these "lame" predictions and then force the issue into a reality. however, the stones'PR is on top of the negative spin.

read this retraction(?) from today's NY post:

NY Post
Neil Travis
July 26, 2001

Mick's hop still hip
(no kidding???)

THE new solo album Mick Jagger is currently putting together isn't going to be any kind of retrospective. I hear Mick was in town the other day recording a track with Wyclef Jean, the hip-hop star and former Fugee. Mick's PR people, by the way, think I'm nuts for suggesting yesterday that the Rolling Stones wouldn't fill stadiums all over the world if they do a 40th-anniversary tour next year. I hope they're right, because, like so many people my age, I love the Stones.

duh!

07-26-01 02:43 PM
The Eggman I still stick with ma words

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.