ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Bachir Attar, 1989
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tumblin' Dice Return to archive
07-24-01 04:36 AM
Chris Bonjour,

I guess this question has already been posted but I can't find the answer.
Who can tell me the meaning of these lines ?
What did Mick say about "Tumblin' Dice" lyrics ?

"I don't need no jewels in my crown"
"Don't you know the deuce is still wild"
"I'm all sixes and sevens and nines"
" I'm the rank outsider"
"I'm the lone crap shooter playin' the field every night"

Thanks in advance

Christian.
07-24-01 05:13 AM
Taras
Hi Cristian,

it is impossible to understand some Mick's lines...
Remember the "Jumpin' Jack Flesh" film where Goldberg
listen to "JJF" song asking - "Oh, Mick, please, sing in
English"
Usually in Stones' songs Mick used the slang, local words
and sentences of different countries, cities and so.

Sincerely,
Taras
07-24-01 09:17 AM
SAGJ Chris,

I have my own interpretation, like everyone else, but to go into it will sound real stupid, but as far as jewels in my crown: there's an old saying about "another star (or jewel) in my crown in heaven," which is supposed to mean that you have done the right thing when the wrong thing would be easier, but really, it means you've sold yourself out over pressure from others, and you're trying to put a good spin on it by playing the martyr!!! I always took Mick's line as one big middle finger to being controlled by what others think you should do or should be, and it's always been a help, especially in 1972!
07-24-01 02:53 PM
Gazza They're mostly just gambling expressions used metaphorically in this case - its maybe a little tricky to understand if English isnt your first language as when it's read literally it makes little sense

"at sixes and sevens" for example is slang,meaning that one is physically or emotionally all over the place/not knowing whats going on

"Don't you know the deuce is still wild"
""I'm the lone crap shooter playin' the field every night

- more gambling metaphors. he's basically saying he's a wild guy who likes to play around! The rest of the lines are basically sexual in implication too,as is the line "youve got to roll me" - a double entendre using a gambling expression (ie...rolling the dice) to express sexual desire ("rock and roll" is old Negro slang for sex..)

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.