ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 20th August
© REUTERS/Leon Neal (BRITAIN)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I did give up smoking... Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th August 2006 03:56 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat ...so I will need your support !
13th August 2006 04:42 PM
egon yeah me too.
4 times this weekend.
13th August 2006 04:44 PM
RollingstonesUSA I am having a Camel Light as we speak....
13th August 2006 04:54 PM
glencar Best of luck SSC with dropping that horrid habit!
13th August 2006 04:56 PM
RollingstonesUSA

13th August 2006 05:28 PM
Jair
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
...so I will need your support !

hey, congrats, very good for you.
I quit almost six years ago, to be exact, October 26, 2000 and, if I made, anyone can.

Take a glass of water every time you think in smoke.

You can also start to take Zyban, helps alot.
Check it:
http://us.gsk.com/medicines/index.jsp#Zantac

[Edited by Jair]
13th August 2006 10:44 PM
stonedinaustralia i've given up and re-lapsed a number of times - non smokers have no idea how it feels to be addicted to such a loathsome and ultimately useless drug

i am considering trying hypnosis...any body else tried it in order to quit??
14th August 2006 07:57 AM
Jair
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i've given up and re-lapsed a number of times - non smokers have no idea how it feels to be addicted to such a loathsome and ultimately useless drug

i am considering trying hypnosis...any body else tried it in order to quit??

Did you try Zyban? I quit thanks to Zyban, and alot of will, of course. In the first couple of months, I went to see the doc once a week too. And did work. I know how dificult is to quit, but is worth, no doubt.
14th August 2006 08:03 AM
Bitch I quit smoking cigarettes over 10 years ago. The first week is the hardest. The second week is hard too, third week a little less, and if you can make it for an entire month without a smoke you are on your way. Point is, don't think you can give in and smoke just one, because then you'll start all over again and just like that, you're back into it. Don't think you can het away with one more, coz you cant. Carry chewing gum and bottled water, and if you need something to do, then go to the gym and pump some iron. Improving your overall body helps to keep you on the right track. You'll feel much better about yourself! Don't give up!
14th August 2006 10:19 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Thanks for the support guys!! I will succeed this time for sure!
14th August 2006 12:52 PM
jb Good luck!!!
14th August 2006 02:57 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
jb wrote:
Good luck!!!

Thanks Josh! Doing fine so far.
14th August 2006 02:58 PM
pdog I'm close to quitting as well...
It's useless and it will kill us!
14th August 2006 03:21 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm close to quitting as well...
It's useless and it will kill us!

Come on join me!
14th August 2006 03:52 PM
jostorm Well done, SSC !!! Keep it up !!! (and also well done Jair and and and....)

I can only echo everyone's support here, and here's my two pennies worth of advice:

It's true that ALLEGEDLY the physical yearning disappears when you have managed 4 weeks "clean". But you need to also think about the psychological habit and pre-plan for moments of great stress.
I quit on April 13th this year,and I've quit one more time before (for 10 years almost), but it's bloody hard to do. People don't realise how bloody addictive tobacco is, otherwise they would never have their very first cigarette at all....

I suggest you also get yourself the Nicorette (or whatever it's called in Holland? Nicorettje???) chewing gums. Or the patches you wear on your skin, or both, they make it SO MUCH EASIER!!! The first time I quit, I just "psyched myself up" for a few months, and then simply stopped dead from 50 one day to zero the next. The only thing I personally remember , is walking through our cottage in Yorkshire and wanting to bite into the oak beams in the ceiling, simply out of pure desperation and withdrawal symptoms..My husband , though, has a much better memory of the events and claims I was "the bitch from hell" for about six months. (I'm sure that's totally fabricated, of course....LOL)
This time around, however, I was only smoking around ten a day when I quit, and I found the patches (plus the occasional additional chewing gum when I was really stressed out) worked wonders and I felt just good about it. Day three and you can SMELL again!!!! Day 30 and you don't give a damn anymore....

Problems you will encounter:
What do you do when you go to the pub or a party, when you will be surrounded by friends smoking??????
Do you introduce a smoking ban in your house?? (I never smoked inside my house, so it wasn't a real problem..)
What do you do after a good meal, when you're having a superb cup of coffee, and the coffee is just "screaming" for a cigarette to go with it? (I gave up coffee for a few months for that reason, but am back to drinking it now, just found it helped!)
What do you do if you drink too much and suddenly decide you can have "just the one"???
What about friends acting like guerrilla undermining you when they are drunk?? (I dumped the ones doing it to me!)
What do you, HYPOTHETICALLY, do about dope??? It's easy to bullshit yourself into thinking that the Red Lebanese you are mixing with the one cigarette "doesn't count"...it sends you back to "square one" straight away....

I have loads of smoker friends who "have given up millions of times": that's a biiiig mistake, I think, because you undermine your own belief in yourself. I think the best thing is to set yourself a date, as far in the future as you need, and then simply stick to it! And if you're not ready, wait till you are, but do it!!!

Anyway, just my two cents. I think that if you're aware of the many pitfalls, then you have a much bigger chance of succeeding long term!

Well done, and carry on!!!!

All the best!!!
14th August 2006 03:58 PM
Joey " ...so I will need your support ! "

<----- Good Luck !
14th August 2006 04:00 PM
jostorm PDOG: I hope you don't mind me asking this...

I've heard many doctors say that kicking the cigarette habit in a way is much harder than kicking heroin. Based on their opinion that at least if you go through your "cold turkey" , once the body's withdrawal symptoms are over (a few days?), that's it, at least physically, whereas they say nicotine stays with you pretty much forever...

What do you think???

And regarding addiction in general: do you think that some of us are simply "addictive types" ?? And that while we think we are kicking an addiction, we merely swap one type of addiction for a different one???
14th August 2006 04:04 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Cold turkey will work for me. I did it before and will do it again. I am so fucking motivated.
14th August 2006 04:09 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Cold turkey will work for me. I did it before and will do it again. I am so fucking motivated.

Keep the positive attitude SSC!!! And keep yourself busy, so you don't have the time or the energy to miss them.
14th August 2006 04:14 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Keep the positive attitude SSC!!! And keep yourself busy, so you don't have the time or the energy to miss them.

I will my love, I will!
14th August 2006 04:14 PM
MrPleasant I have to stay sober for a week, since I'm on a diet. It's cool, though; I can spend the money that I'm saving on very expensive hookers.

I won't post a lot, since I'll be at Dullsville. Maybe I'll visit clips4sale.com, for some hot

I haven't smoked in years. Had some pot a couple of weeks ago, but I took it alongside my boss, who couldn't stand still for a fucking minute.

Once, though, she was scared that her boyfriend would find the fucking shit in her car, so she threw the pot to the street, while she was driving. A true story.
14th August 2006 04:25 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I have a dinner date next Wednesday, so that will be hard.
14th August 2006 04:32 PM
Joey
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
I have a dinner date next Wednesday, so that will be hard.

I sincerely hope you win gross next Wednesday
14th August 2006 04:33 PM
Some Guy I'm laying off the herb.
14th August 2006 04:33 PM
Gazza I gave up masturbation about five years ago...

...it was the longest 20 minutes of my life....
14th August 2006 04:34 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I gave up masturbation about five years ago...

P.O.S.T.I.N.

...you are postin' !
14th August 2006 04:35 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I gave up masturbation about five years ago...

Doing It For The Kids.
That sounds kinda f'ed up.
[Edited by Some Guy]
14th August 2006 04:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:

P.O.S.T.I.N.

...you are postin' !

I told my doctor I had only two addictions - cigarettes and masturbation

She told me that for the good of my health, I'd have to give up. I told her "thats going to be impossible, as I'm a '20-a-day man'.....and I smoke like a fucking train as well...."

14th August 2006 04:52 PM
jostorm I did think you took rather long in the shower in Berlin.....
14th August 2006 04:59 PM
Joey

< --------- Joey Masturbates

That is right Lil' Buddy -- It's True !

.. I do !

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)