ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Mobile stage - Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Street-fighting 'Neo Con'" (USA Today) Return to archive
August 18th, 2005 08:57 AM
Mel Belli Street-fighting 'Neo-Con'
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
Sweet Neo-Con, Mick Jagger's scathing indictment of U.S. foreign policy, isn't just rankling conservatives. It rattled a usually unflappable firebrand.

The song, due Sept. 6 on the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang, wasn't warmly embraced by guitarist Keith Richards. (Related story: Four rockers define Stones age)

"I didn't want this to be a diversionary storm," he says. "I thought potentially it would detract attention from the rest of the album and be seen as cheap publicity. We don't need that. But I told Mick, 'If you really feel like you want to say that, I'll back you all the way.'

"If I'm going to write a song, politicians are the last subject I think of. Neo-Con is like an old headline. Nobody will know what it means in 10 years. I like the oblique angles like Sweet Black Angel or Street Fighting Man. This one is a bit of a finger-pointer, but what's wrong with a poke in the eye?"

Accusing the administration of hypocrisy, the song asserts, "It's liberty for all, democracy's our style/Unless you are against us, then it's prison without trial."

Jagger isn't dodging the lyrics' thrust. "I have my opinions, which I've stated in the tune. Maureen Dowd is no more qualified to have opinions than I am."

Jagger composed the song quickly, then watched jaws drop as he bounced it off bandmates and producer Don Was.

"Isn't that really what pop music should be about?" he says.

The Neo-controversy might never have ensued if more bands had topical rants in the marketplace. "Perhaps they don't because everyone says, 'How dare he have an opinion?' " Jagger says. "But whose opinion do you listen to? People on TV who have no qualifications."

Bang also offers social commentary in Rain Fall Down and Back of My Hand, but the joys and pitfalls of romance dominate.

"People can understand and empathize with love and broken hearts," Jagger says. "Writing a whole album about politics would not be a good idea, but I specifically tried to encompass a broader set of subjects."

August 18th, 2005 10:15 AM
Zulu Fun Mix Mick is a 62-year old man with a lot of extraordinary experiences in life, and a vast web of friends and associates. He is also, quite clearly, intelligent and (when he wants to be) thoughtful. Why should it automatically be controversial that such a person would express a political opinion?
August 18th, 2005 11:34 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:
Mick is a 62-year old man with a lot of extraordinary experiences in life, and a vast web of friends and associates. He is also, quite clearly, intelligent and (when he wants to be) thoughtful. Why should it automatically be controversial that such a person would express a political opinion?

Mick is, indeed, intelligent and thoughtful - just not on "Sweet Neo Con." I mean, couldn't someone with so many extraordinary experiences in life, with such a vast web of friends and associates, expressed something deeper than that the Bush administration is "giving me the shits"?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)