ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Mobile stage - Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Four rockers define Stones age" (USA Today) Return to archive
August 18th, 2005 06:33 AM
Gazza Four rockers define Stones age

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

TORONTO — The four skinny guys jamming on Sly and the Family Stone's Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) in the Greenwood College School gym are no freshmen. This is old school: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood slash guitars while Charlie Watts hammers a crisp beat. The vibe in this makeshift rehearsal hall intensifies as Jagger kicks off Sympathy for the Devil with a piercing "Ow!" — a Pavlovian trigger encoded in baby-boomer DNA.

OK, it's only rock 'n' roll. But when the Rolling Stones roll it out, the genre gets an invigorating kick, in concert revenue, nostalgic bliss and an infusion of raptor-rocker bits for late-night comics.

The only rock-era band to sustain superstar status through five decades of spasmodic pop trends, the Stones maintain a unique standing in an industry accustomed to fast flameouts and shelved icons. While a few hipsters and dinosaurs are struggling to attract audiences this summer, the Stones will hit Boston on Sunday to launch A Bigger Bang, a world trek that already has sold out 98% of available tickets and is expected to clobber all rivals before it closes in 18 months. (Related story: Street-fighting Neo-con)

The band's only competition: itself. Since 1989, the group has grossed $1.125 billion internationally. In the '90s, the band took in $751 million and sold more than 12 million tickets worldwide, more than any other act.

"The Rolling Stones are far and away the most successful touring entity in the history of mankind," says Ray Waddell, senior editor at Billboard. "The Stones have written and rewritten the book on touring. The things they have brought have been pioneering, from being the first to use credit cards at merc stands to a one-promoter global tour. They are the kings."

For 43 years, the Stones have resisted rock's customary trajectory of rise, peak and swan dive. Even the band is amazed by its longevity.

"I remember a sense of doom when our first record got in the top 20," Richards says. "It was conventional wisdom at the time that it would all be over in two years."

Instead, the band generated a generation's worth of rock classics, and when record sales waned, concert crowds ballooned to record-setting levels. The 1994-95 Voodoo Lounge juggernaut is still the top-grossing ($319.5 million) and best-attended (6.4 million tickets) tour.

Yet pundits speculate that this outing could be that last time, and detractors say a farewell is overdue, presumably because the Stones did not fade away. They rode out punk, survived disco and even stayed past the last call for hair bands.

Way past. Richards is 62. Jagger is 61. Watts, fully recovered from throat cancer, is 64. Wood is the baby at 58. Predictably, the Bang announcement brought fresh rounds of codger gags. Jay Leno dubbed the trek "The We're Grateful We're Not Dead Tour." David Letterman cracked, "They're part of the Living Will-Palooza Tour."

The ribbing hasn't stopped since steel wheelchair jokes in '89, but Richards says he has been shrugging it off since the Sex Pistols slagged them in the late '70s.

"Look at them now," he sneers. He's slouched on a black sofa in a classroom converted into a sinister retreat with black drapes, incense and glowing candles.

"We're on the cutting edge," he says. "Nobody's been here before, and it's kind of an adventure.

"They wonder why we're still here. Well, why not? We're a great band. We love to play. If there's that many people who love to hear us, what's the beef? I intend to get a lot older and a lot more wrinkled. So sharpen your pen."

Jagger, sipping tea in his cheerier quarters, is amused by one-liners and the tired trick "of adding up all our ages, a mathematical feat beyond most people." He says mockingly, "I'll do your show, David Letterman, and you come do mine."

The Stones roll with the punch lines and always get the last laugh: millions of customers.

Jagger says: "We wouldn't tour unless someone said, 'Look, there are a lot of people who want to see you.' I always say, 'You sure?' "

Having flourished beyond the '60s frontier days, this patriarch nonetheless agrees that rock is youth's playground.

"You wouldn't want only old people to do it," he says. "It would be awful. But if you have creative energy, age doesn't matter. Lucian Freud and Francis Bacon painted with energy late in life. The Rolling Stones kept their creative forces, maybe because we don't make records every 10 minutes."

A Bigger Bang, their first new album since 1997's Bridges to Babylon, arrives Sept. 6 amid far less hoopla than the tour. Critic Lester Bangs branded 1976's Black and Blue "the first meaningless Stones album," and fan fervor has been shrinking with subsequent new records. The band has sold 20.9 million albums since SoundScan began tabulating in 1991 with buyers favoring oldies: 2002's Forty Licks sold 2.5 million, double the take for Bridges to Babylon.

Yet a positive buzz is building for the 16-track Bang, a raw rocker co-produced by Don Was. An early review by England's Uncut declares, "The Stones have defied the odds and raised their game to produce (a) great album."

Its wide range of romantic and social topics embraces heartbreak and humor, regret and revenge.

That breadth comes easier with experience and, yes, age, Jagger says. "When you're young, you tend to be angry a lot. Later, you're able to express diverse emotions. I do draw from my life. But sometimes I don't know who it's about. And you have to be inventive. You draw on memories, you observe other people, and you embroider."

Jagger and Richards, who toiled independently and often testily on Bridges, bonded on Bang after learning of Watts' cancer diagnosis last summer.

"Necessity put it together," Richards says. "Mick got on drums. I doubled on bass. We sent songs to Charlie while he was recuperating. It's been years since Mick and I worked this closely together.

"There is no clear plan until the music is telling you what to do. It yelled at us, 'Do not overproduce me. Do not put the icing and the marzipan and the candles on.' "

Jagger adds: "We did this record with minimal technology, just suitcases of computers. I didn't want to go into a massive glass-and-stone $10 million studio with all the bells and whistles. All that technology can change the way you play. We pared it down, and the intimacy worked."

Despite clashing approaches, they collaborated peacefully and made room for each other's pet sounds. Their teamwork "has changed a lot," Jagger says. "Keith was very supportive of my songwriting, guitar-playing, bass-playing, drumming."

Meaning he wasn't in the past?

"Obviously not!" Jagger says with a laugh. "It's a long-lasting collaboration, but we do have separate ways of doing things. I'm quite analytical: I want this groove. Keith likes to play a tune a lot until something happens."

Richards says the media's fisheye has turned their infrequent tiffs into epic battles. "There's this perception that Mick and I are always fighting," he says. "Most of it is very smooth sailing. Every time we stumble across the odd spat, everyone hears about it."

For now, they've formed a united front to make sure everyone hears about the new album and tour. That means new sponsorships to subsidize the tour and maximize exposure, including a partnership with ABC and the NFL for season-long promos on Monday Night Football, starting with footage from a Detroit show for a pregame special Sept. 8. Immune to criticism of their corporate tie-ins, a fixture since 1978, the Stones make no apologies to the purists who call the band a sell-out.

"It's super-competitive out there," Jagger says. "There's a lot of tickets to move, and this is a way to create excitement for the tour. It's capitalism. It's America. It's 2005."

Richards can take it or leave it.

"Quite honestly, I don't like that sport," he says. "I think it's a spectacle, not a sport. When you've got the team on the run, you don't give 'em timeout for a bloody ad. But the NFL is sort of that icon thing. It's fun. I don't consider it to be any sort of major highlight of my career. At 13, I sang in Westminster Abbey. It's been downhill ever since."

He cackles gruffly. It's time to head into rehearsals where the band is gathering for run-throughs of Respectable, Live with Me, The Worstand new single Rough Justice. A few onlookers, including Jagger's 13-year-old daughter, Georgia, and her frisky papillon pup, Daisy, are swaying on the sidelines, but nobody's grooving harder than the band itself. Richards is itching for another spin under the spotlight.

"The audience is our gas tank," he says. "You can feel lousy, it can be 102 degrees, but get on that stage and you're cured. It's adrenaline, endorphins and pheromones. It's one of the biggest lifts in life."

thanks to OpenG on IORR for the link to the article

[Edited by Gazza]
August 18th, 2005 06:41 AM
egon nice read. thanks!
August 18th, 2005 07:11 AM
Jumacfly yes, thanks Gazza for this article!!
August 18th, 2005 07:56 AM
Monkey Woman Cool article, thanks! Edna Gundersen is a fan, isn't she? She contributed an essay to "According To The Rolling Stones", IIRC.
August 18th, 2005 08:28 AM
FPM C10 "I intend to get a lot older and a lot more wrinkled. So sharpen your pen."

I love these guys!!
August 18th, 2005 08:51 AM
Gazza Mick and Keith have come out with some great lines in recent interviews - you normally expect the barbed asides from Keith at the band's critics, but its good to see Mick in such defiant and abrasive mood as well. It's a sign of someone who KNOWS that he's got something up his sleeve that'll make a lot of critics eat humble pie.

and yeah, Edna Gunderson, from what I've read of her over the years, is one of the better music writers in the business.
August 18th, 2005 01:53 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It's a sign of someone who KNOWS that he's got something up his sleeve that'll make a lot of critics eat humble pie.

Don't you think the Black Crowes sound a LOT like Humble Pie? That screechy voice...

Er...nevermind. I think one of the most amazing things about the article is: they're playing "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"!! Wow! I've GOTTA hear THAT! Like "Get Up Stand Up", I can hear it in my head - and it sounds GOOD!
August 18th, 2005 02:02 PM
Mikey "I'll do your show, David Letterman, and you come do mine."

One of Mick's best lines ever. What a great FU.
August 18th, 2005 07:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
The band has sold 20.9 million albums since SoundScan began tabulating in 1991

Wow!
That's a lot.
August 18th, 2005 07:37 PM
glencar
quote:
Mikey wrote:
"I'll do your show, David Letterman, and you come do mine."

One of Mick's best lines ever. What a great FU.

LOL No kidding. Mick's aged much better than Letterman.
August 18th, 2005 07:45 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Mick and Keith have come out with some great lines in recent interviews - you normally expect the barbed asides from Keith at the band's critics, but its good to see Mick in such defiant and abrasive mood as well.

Yes, was thinking the same thing. It finally feels like reading new interviews this time 'round. Instead of throwing the same old air-balloons and distant slogans at us. I'm very pleased so far with the new Stones. I'll get back to you next summer after seeing them -again- after they've been on the road for a year .
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)