ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Mobile stage - Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sway has been rehearsed Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
August 17th, 2005 07:32 PM
time is on my side
quote:
kath wrote:
well, for you newcomers or those who feel "happy about the tour" (like myself...), get used to the fact that josh likes to push buttons and several of his board mates like to feed into the frenzy.

try to steel yourself to this simple truth. i gnash my teeth with every josh post, but somehow i am still really excited about this tour and seeing the band again. i am thankful that we didn't lose charlie and that keith is still alive. i know that ronnie is an incredible, gifted musician and can play virtually any instrument he's met. and i still believe that mick is the greatest front man of all time.

so, let them bitch and moan and ramble....as long as they aren't next to me bitching during the show.

Hey, thanks for the post. I kinda already figured out this stuff on my own and agree with your assessments. I just try to ignore JB and his ass kissing cronies as I've learned that this is all just one big joke to them. Sometimes I'm successful and other times, like now, I'm not. There appear to be many on this board that find him and his followers posts entertaining, amusing, and fun. Believe me, all of that is completely lost on me because I find them exactly the opposite, well wasn't there a movie called dumb, dumb, and dumber or something like that??? To each their own.

I could go on but who wants me to??? I'm in the distinct minority here and realize it. I know it's wrong for me to post such honest assessments like these as know JB and his followers will take them the wrong way but, what the hell, I couldn't resist. Why leave all the fun to JB and his followers????
August 17th, 2005 08:20 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:

The Pope does a nice version of Horst Wessel Lied (Horst Wessel's Song)

It ROCKS!!

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/singalong02.htm

Good one, Josh.
[Edited by FPM C10]
August 17th, 2005 08:25 PM
jb
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Hey, thanks for the post. I kinda already figured out this stuff on my own and agree with your assessments. I just try to ignore JB and his ass kissing cronies as I've learned that this is all just one big joke to them. Sometimes I'm successful and other times, like now, I'm not. There appear to be many on this board that find him and his followers posts entertaining, amusing, and fun. Believe me, all of that is completely lost on me because I find them exactly the opposite, well wasn't there a movie called dumb, dumb, and dumber or something like that??? To each their own.

I could go on but who wants me to??? I'm in the distinct minority here and realize it. I know it's wrong for me to post such honest assessments like these as know JB and his followers will take them the wrong way but, what the hell, I couldn't resist. Why leave all the fun to JB and his followers????

Funny stuff..............
August 17th, 2005 09:43 PM
FPM C10 As I said before, we're on The Verge. The VERGE!!
This thread is off the rails and is crashing through
the underbrush into the black heart of Bad Craziness.
What the hell are we talking about?

Contained within this board's distended bowels are the
Bizarro World/crack'd mirror images of the Standard Arguments -
The Political Thread, which has against all
rhyme and reason turned away from the usual discussion of the
genius or idiocy of George W. Bush (remember, you can't
say "Dubya" without saying "Duh")into today's
bizarre deconstruction of WW2 and attacks on Winnie Churchill;

and the classic "Wood vs Taylor", which like Lon Chaney Jr
under the horrid influence of a full moon has
metamorphosed into the Black Crowes vs the Rolling Stones.

What the hell are we talking about??? The Black CROWES???WTF???

Look. I don't doubt that there are quite a number of young
musicians out there who can play any and every Rolling Stones
song ever written as good or better than the old men who comprise
the Rolling Stones in 2005. In fact, I
KNOW some who can do it! And I'm sure that the Black
Crowes pull off a great version of CYHMK, albeit more like
what Humble Pie's version of it might sound. With their 70s bellbottoms
and studiously disheveled 70s hairdos,
they've studied half their lives to play the part. Thing
is, it's a COVER. A really good one, but a cover. Not one
they make their OWN, but one which pays tribute to the
brilliance of the guys who wrote it by copying it note for note.

And no matter how well or lousy the Stones play it or any other
song in their incomparable canon, no matter how many times
they've screwed up and made lousy choices in the five
decades they've stomped terra, no matter how many extra
hands they bring along with them, they are still the guys
who recorded Exile on Main St. They are still the band
your daughter couldn't marry, who pissed where they
wanted, man, the butterflies not to be broken on anyone's wheel,
the band who recorded Let It Bleed, the band I saw
when I was almost 18, and when I was 21, and 24, and 31,
and on up the chronologicalm ladder; they're that guy who
had all his blood replaced with Rebel Yell and who will be the last living thing on earth
after even the cockroaches croak, and the other guy who has inspired God knows how
many American criminals, those tattooed, toothless types you see lurking around places you want to
just keep driving through. They all sit around
saying, "Well, hell, if it's ok by Mick, I guess it's ok
by me. I'll just go beat somebody's head in with a pool
cue."

Oops. Sorry. Got carried away there. But you catch my
drift. It's THEM, and Jesus Christ, it's also Charlie
Watts on drums, and they're not playing COVERS of Rolling
Stones songs, they ARE the fucking Rolling Stones and they
play Rolling Stones songs. I'm not saying they are the same band they were in 1972, but they're a lot closer to
it than anyone has any right to expect.
FUCK! Have you
LOOKED at Mick Jagger? He's sixty-freaking-TWO.

And he'll kick YOUR ass.

There is no logical reason why we should all be getting psyched to go see the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the
World again, yet we ARE. And I for one am on my knees
thanking The Powers That Be for such an amazing thing.

And I don't give a damn who plays what lick better than
who - when the Rolling Stones are GONE you can tell me
about how good the Crowes do Stones songs, but right now I
don't care.

Ever see that great Keef t-shirt? "Black Crowes? I think not."

Give me the real thing. You can have the fucking Black Crowes.

[Edited by Karl Rove]

[Edited by FPM C10]
August 17th, 2005 10:13 PM
corgi37 Greatest freaking post i have ever read. I'm so fired up. Inspired. Its all true! You conveyed my feelings 100%.

I am ready to go into battle. Gimme a gun and a helmet, them towel heads dont stand a chance.
August 17th, 2005 10:20 PM
kath thank you, darlin'

are you 'avin' a good time????
August 17th, 2005 11:18 PM
time is on my side
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Greatest freaking post i have ever read. I'm so fired up. Inspired. Its all true! You conveyed my feelings 100%.

I am ready to go into battle. Gimme a gun and a helmet, them towel heads dont stand a chance.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's time we quit beating around the bush; it's time to get it on. It's time to rock and roll. Hide all your daughters, the STONES are coming to a town near you. I can sense it; there's a change in the wind; it's getting close. It's getting close to showtime. ROCK AND ROLL BABY. YEAH!!!!
[Edited by time is on my side]
August 17th, 2005 11:47 PM
T&A huh? what was that FPM? I don't think I understand what you are saying. could you repeat that for me?
August 18th, 2005 12:56 AM
Starbuck fleabit, despite your allegiance to the curious and repetitive pug army, you still know how to write a post.

this one's for you:

and so is this one:
August 18th, 2005 01:15 AM
sirmoonie Great post once again, FPM.
August 18th, 2005 05:00 AM
pdog Are The Stones touring?
August 18th, 2005 10:58 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

And no matter how well or lousy the Stones play it or any other
song in their incomparable canon, no matter how many times
they've screwed up and made lousy choices in the five
decades they've stomped terra, no matter how many extra
hands they bring along with them, they are still the guys
who recorded Exile on Main St. They are still the band
your daughter couldn't marry, who pissed where they
wanted, man, the butterflies not to be broken on anyone's wheel,
the band who recorded Let It Bleed.

no. no they're not. The band that recorded Exile & Let It Bleed no longer exists. The band that was a threat to society no longer exists. You can pretend they do. But they don't.

quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

And they're not playing COVERS of Rolling
Stones songs

Yes they are. Thats what you're paying $500 a pop to see: Sir Mick and his Vegas-style Stones tribute band.

it aint the Stones anymore. Certainly not the 70's Stones. They've morphed into a giant horriffic, greedy, bloated replica of the Stones.

thats what you're hearing when the horn section blares away on Jumpin Jack Flash and Mick runs around the giant set with all the giant inflatables and bells and whistles with THREE background singers chiming the chorus while the confetti falls. Its a bloated Vegas style Stones tribute band!!

it certainly ain't rock and roll.

the band that pisses where it wants these days are the Crowes.

the Stones are pampered billionaires. A giant corporation.

the Enron of the music industry

and we are all guilty of buying into it.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
August 18th, 2005 11:02 AM
nankerphelge Goddam FPM -- post of the year right there!
August 18th, 2005 11:25 AM
Trey Krimsin That was a post of undying loyalty to THE greatest band ever. Excellent post, FPM.

It makes me want to grab a helmet, a baseball bat, and a copy of Exile on Main St. and beat somebody's ass.
August 18th, 2005 11:37 AM
Lazy Bones Words of wisdom, FPM. Nailed all the reasons why I/we love 'em.

Well done!
August 18th, 2005 11:39 AM
LadyJane FPM...it is posts like yours that keep me going. YOU GET IT.

Bravo.

LJ.

August 18th, 2005 11:42 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:

It makes me want to grab a helmet, a baseball bat, and a copy of Exile on Main St. and beat somebody's ass.

Mick prefers it if you use a pool cue.
August 18th, 2005 11:46 AM
telecaster
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Great post once again, FPM.

FPM has outdone himself on this one

I agree 100%

He is on a roll......

August 18th, 2005 12:03 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
That was a post of undying loyalty to THE greatest band ever. Excellent post, FPM.

No! Get a pool cue! Mick is down with pool cues.

=======
D'oh! Sorry Flea, didn't see you above. Again, great minds, gutter, etc.
[Edited by sirmoonie]
August 18th, 2005 04:32 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
it aint the Stones anymore. Certainly not the 70's Stones. They've morphed into a giant horriffic, greedy, bloated replica of the Stones.

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to who posts what around here. I didn't realize what a troll you are. Silly me!

Your opinions- and you are CERTAINLY entitled to them - belong on a Crowes board. People might agree with them there. Here they are just troll bait.

You're wrong on all your points, although they do of course contain a kernel of truth. Why? Because for the last 10 years or so their tours have included a B-stage, where it all gets stripped down to bar-band basics. I've heard these latter-day pampered millionaire Stones play Midnight Rambler RIGHT IN MY FACE on the b-stage, more than once, and that alone puts your arguments to bed without any supper. "Certainly ain't rock&roll." FEH!

These guys are the motherfucking Rolling Stones. Like it or not! I choose to like it!

You know, my original post was longer and better but I accidently deleted it and had to write it again. I hate it when that happens!

I can't wait to see the Stones!
August 18th, 2005 04:46 PM
Saint Sway you're right. The 3-song sets on the b-stage is the Stones at their stripped down best.

I love it! They're actually like a real rock and roll band when they ditch the big, glitzy stage and the horns section and the back-up singers.

I just dont think that R&R should be watched on a jumbo screen. I prefer my rock in a small venue -something louder and sweatier than a football stadium. I'm weird that way.
August 18th, 2005 05:06 PM
DiamondsDisease Kath, I´m glad to see there are also positive fans on this board. I totally agree with you. And ehm, I wouldn´t mind having you next to me during the show..
August 18th, 2005 05:43 PM
kath well, i don't sit down for keith...
August 18th, 2005 05:55 PM
kath
quote:
Yes they are. Thats what you're paying $500 a pop to see: Sir Mick and his Vegas-style Stones tribute band.

thats what you're hearing when the horn section blares away on Jumpin Jack Flash and Mick runs around the giant set with all the giant inflatables and bells and whistles with THREE background singers chiming the chorus while the confetti falls. Its a bloated Vegas style Stones tribute band!!

speak for yourself, sonny. and if you feel that strongly, may i suggest a couple things?

1. don't post on stones boards, don't even READ stones boards. you'll just be terminally unhappy and gawd knows we don't want THAT!

2. don't "buy into it". don't buy a ticket, a cd, a tshirt. nothing. don't even consider doing it. again, it'll just bring you anger, horrors beyond anybody's comprehension. it's just not worth it.

3. whatever you do, in the name of whatever you hold sacred, do NOT enjoy yourself on this planet. see, the stones make me happy, happier than i am anywhere or any time else. obviously, they don't do that for you. find something that does. a nice hobby.

4. go see the back crowes. buy all their albums, cds, t shirts, keychains, magnets, posters. then, in 40 or so years, come back and tell me how it's going.

August 18th, 2005 06:09 PM
Saint Sway Wow! I do indeed feel the love here!

that post was like a big hug

thanks Kath!!

is the message to all: love the Stones with blind passion or get out?

well then, Iemme go grab my rose colored shades and join the party

don't start passing out the Kool Aid without me!
August 18th, 2005 06:33 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Saint Sway, I had the privilege of seeing the Black Crowes during their stint at the Hammersmith, on Good Friday (when they played, surprise, "Good Friday"). They played a set of mostly rarities to, I assume, honor their true fans and so forth. I'm not a huge fan. I didn't know half the songs. But when they launched into a jam-band, twenty-minute version of "Soul Singin'" I cringed and said "This is what's wrong with rock music these days."

Rock music has always prided and sold itself on danger. There is no danger in the Black Crowes anymore. When they came out of the gate covering "Baby Don't You Do It" with the ever-scowling Rich Robinson and Marc Ford singing verses, I thought "Shit, that's fucking awesome." I still have that on my computer as an MP3 of how awesome a "conventional" rock band can get, even doing someone else's song. But as the set dragged on and Chris Robinson made one lame joke after another and they kept relighting the insensce, I felt incensced (lawl, punning). They were patting themselves on the back with their retarded background of some temple, with the chandeliers and fake candles, etc.. They were as bad as the "gangster" rap idiots in heavy rotation on MTV, driving in their big cars with naked women and diamond teeth or whatever.

The Rolling Stones in the nineties, on the other hand, knew exactly what they were - a group of entertainers, putting on a damn good show for those who could. Do I like that mentality? No. I play in a rock band. I think that mentality is cold and harsh and not conducive to the perpetuation of rock music - in fact, I think that mentality begat the saturation of heavy metal and bubblegum rock that mercifully brought down the dinosaur in the mid-eighties. But the Stones themselves (look at that USA Today interview) have admitted - they are entertainers. Old men in a young man's game. And they still put on a hell of a show. Refresh my memory, have the Black Crowes released an album recently, or do they have one slated for release? I'll answer for you: No. They have little idea of who they are - drifting, just as the Stones drifted through '82 in a confused delusion. If they release a good album and/or (hell, I'll accept only this) abandon the pretention of being something more than they are (an excellent and talented rock band - not some mystical nonsense), I'll accept your argument that they are "doing what the Stones do better than the Stones." At this point, they are doing what the Stones did twenty or so years ago - drifting aimlessly and pretending to be a big deal.

I'm probably around your age, maybe younger, maybe older, I don't know. I like all kinds of music, from Public Enemy to Jerry Lee Lewis to the Kinks to Bob Dylan. But I see in the Rolling Stones of this day and age an acceptance of who and what they are, and a willingness to try to go from there. When I look at the Black Crowes and their touring brethren from the burgeoning "marginally famous eighties rock band revival," I see lost and irritating musicians trying to make a buck. When I saw the Stones, even back in '02 when they, too, were lost without new material of any consequence, they at least knew what they were doing with themselves and their music - and they rocked the fuck out. I enjoyed that concert immensely. More than the Crowes, even though that was GA and I was in the front row.

You seem to be, to me, not a troll, but someone who found the Stones through the Crowes, like I found the Stones through the Beatles. You claim to not "see what the big deal is," but I think you're frustrated because one of your favorite bands takes so much from another band and you don't have a respect for that other band.

Let me tell you something: if nothing else, learn some respect for the Rolling Stones. They will outlive 99% of the artists from any era they were active in, and they will do it with a smile, a grin, and those infuriatingly high ticket prices. Learn some respect, see their show, and rock out. Or leave and enjoy the Crowes - I listen to Southern Harmony all the time, it's a great record - but if you at the end of the day "just don't get the Stones," you really shouldn't be pushing your argument on a Stones board.

EDIT: Fucked up the wise-cracking Robinson's name. Whups!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
August 18th, 2005 06:34 PM
kath i take it you "don't get" sarcasm.
August 18th, 2005 06:59 PM
Saint Sway for the record...

I'm 36. I've been the most devoted Stones freak since I was 15.

I've travelled all over to see them. Including catching the Toronto gig last week.

The Stones are my favorite band. Keith Richards is my hero.

I can bleed anyone's ear off babbling about how great I think the Stones are. Ask anyone who's ever met me.

but... I do like other bands. And despite being a HUGE STONES FREAK I can admit that there are other bands that play the Stones game and can rock out as good as or better than the Stones these days.

and as much as I love the Stones. I can recognize when a song like SOL is just sappy pop crap that is beneath them. Or when I hear a live version of CYHMK and the intro sounds more like its Lisa Fisher playing guitar instead of Keith.

I absolutely love Ronnie Wood. But he's been a joke onstage.

I call it like it is.

The Stones are the greatest. But... more and more each yr the cracks are showing.

sorry but thats the truth. Sorry if you dont want to hear it from me.

carry on

peace
August 18th, 2005 07:05 PM
kath
quote:
I call it like it is.

no. you "call it" like you see it. everybody's reality is different.

i like other bands too. did i say anywhere that i didn't?? let me review....hmmmm...nope.

i'm just saying, (please re-read the post so there is no more misunderstanding) that if it makes you so angry or whatever to read that people are excited about this tour, etc, then maybe you shouldn't be reading it.
August 18th, 2005 07:32 PM
FPM C10 Well stated, Saint Sway. And the things that bug you bug me too. I hated Streets of Love before I even heard it. Just the title sucks. Tickets cost too much. Eeeew, that Chuck! And...and then I back up and think how lucky I am that my favorite band ever, who rocked my world (and everybody's) forty years ago, and so many times betwen then and now, are still rocking. It's ridiculous to fault them for not playing like they're in their 20's anymore. THEY ARE IN THEIR 60s!!! And they are still the same guys who did all that stuff.

The big thing here is - it's the eve of the tour. The only person you're going to get to go along with all of this Black Crowes nonsense NOW is JB, and even he'd be pulling your leg to some degree.

The other thing is that I can't stand Chris Robinson. Can't stand his voice, didn't like it when Steve Marriot was using it and still can't stand it. Don't like his hollywood wife or his straggly beard or his solo band or anything about him. So the whole Crowes schtick isn't going to sway me, pun intended. But even if you were using the NY Dolls, who I LOVE, as an example, the same stumbling block comes up - these bands would not exist if not for the Stones.

The Stones mean way too much to me and a lot of other folks. It's more than just how well they can play at an age when most folks need a walker. It's that they're the Stones.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)