ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Mobile stage - Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sway has been rehearsed Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
August 14th, 2005 06:08 PM
ListenToTheLion I agree with T&A and blackandblue on this. Ronnie did NOT a good job on CYHMK. Ronnie or rather the band should have played it in 76 or 78, then we all would have been amazed. Now it was a great song with a bad distorted solo although Jagger and Keys did a great job and made CYHMK nevertheless listenable.
August 14th, 2005 06:10 PM
Poplar
quote:
jb wrote:
I was at Atlanta it is was the best show of the tour.

glad to hear you say that. That was the only Licks show i saw, after seeing the other recent tours 5, 6 times a pop. I will say this: the Atlanta setlist was fucking amazing. Rambler and CYHMK.... can't ask for much more.

you're right about the "rockers." some of 'em don't feel right... but some do. For example, I thought If You Can't Rock me sounded ok the few versions I heard. But Rough Justice has me optimistic. It rocks, legitimately.

August 14th, 2005 06:11 PM
Poplar I dunno Lion, I thought they were solid. The sad truth is that his solo simply stands out as one of the few TRULY guitar moments in the shows, the rest was so layered with piano, horns, etc. Maybe that's why i say the crowd was ina "frenzy during CYHMK, cause we could actually listen to some guitar for christ's sake! I thought Ronnie's solo had that Santana flair to it... and some of the runs he did were Trey-esque.

[Edited by Poplar]
August 14th, 2005 08:02 PM
FPM C10
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
It was also great news when they put CYHMK on the setlist.
But Ronnie blew it. His solo was an absolute mockery.

Really? When I heard it {MSG Sept) it was okay - not as great as the album cut, but not bad, and Mick's harp solo was fabulous. I thought overall it was pretty cool. I'm glad I heard it.

I thought Ronnie did a better job of playing MT's part than Keith did of playing Keith's part. The intro was the worst part.
August 14th, 2005 08:16 PM
kath ok, here's the deal with people who go see EVERY show, or follow the band and see a lotta shows..they get this attitude..like "well ronnie really sucked tonight compared to the last 15 shows we've seen this time around...i'm tired, gonna talk to my friend here and then maybe nap."

GET THE HELL OUTTA THE VENUE and let somebody in who is only gonna see 1 or 2 shows!! let THEM savor it and enjoy it for the moment.

sadly, they didn't do cyhmk in tacoma (my ONLY show, thankyewverymuch) for 40 licks. but ronnie was still verrry good. there have been shows when i wanted to walk up on stage and shake him and scream "PLAY THE GODDAMN GUITAR!! but last tour was all ronnie's!! and he looks even better this.

qwityerbitchin! it's the stones, baby!!
[Edited by kath]
August 14th, 2005 10:01 PM
Soldatti Ronnie did a great job on CYHMK during the first US leg of the Licks tour, after the Christmas break I didn't hear a good version of the song again.
August 14th, 2005 11:58 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Eh. I heard terrible versions of CYHMK, but a lot of those I found foundered early on (Mr. Richards) and then were dumped on Mr. Wood, who would founder right along with it and make it a nine-minute mess.

But those were few and far between. No, it wasn't the same as Mick Taylor's solo, because, like Nellcote said, that era's long-since gone. Ronnie couldn't play a riff like that to save his life - it's never been his style. He's not a smooth jazz-blues lead virtuoso like Taylor. He was the only guitarist in the best bar band in known history for several years, a bass player for a petulant lead guitarist... it doesn't sync up. I didn't go into CHYMK expecting Mick Taylor's solo redux. If I wanted that, I'd listen to the record.

No, we got a Ron Wood solo most nights, and that was fine. It's dirty and distorted and, like Gazza said, got the crowd moving quite a bit. No, it didn't always suit the style, but when he was on, hot damn, he was on. The problem, as we've all pointed out, is that over the tour he slouched back into his old habits and Keith seemed less and less likely to pick up his slack. When I saw them at the opener at the FleetCenter, Ronnie was fucking on fire. Keith spent half the night mugging the crowd (remind you of another guitarist?). When I saw them again in January of '03, the wheels were already turning. Ronnie got a little cheekier on the B-stage, Keith turned in a few insanely good numbers and seemed more likely to rock out and less likely to lean over and say hi to the front row. If they play like that, then yeah, you're right. "Sway" shouldn't be attempted. But despite all that, it's not a matter of 'Ron Wood cant touch Mick Taylor's solos,' because there's no question Ron Wood can't do that. It's just not in his playbook, if you will. I'm willing to see what he can do with his own way of looking at it, and if it winds up sucking, then at least they gave it a shot.

I'd argue the worst CHYMK solos are where he tries to echo Taylor too much... doing that repetition into the false ending... then it degenerates into trashy noise, like others have said.

Also, have you heard Taylor's versions of the song recently? Gimme the Stones's current live version over that any day. He cuts out the entire first section and just wanks aimlessly on that solo. Yawn. I hope he doesn't try "Sway".
August 15th, 2005 12:20 AM
T&A Izzy:

You had me until your final point on MT and CHYMK. He has NEVER (aside from the one he did with KR in the late 80's) played anything but the coda to the song. Wank out? How so? The coda is his part of the song - wouldn't make any sense for him to do it any other way. And, he plays the coda as beautifully and effortlessly as the day it was recorded.
August 15th, 2005 08:09 AM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT I would like to hear it but i fear the worst. The one thing that gives it a chance is they usually do songs pretty good from that era that they never did before or very seldom. (example CYHMK). Rocks Off doesn't compare to how great it was 72-73... but i liked Moonlight Mile from 99 and Loving Cup from last tour when i heard them on bootlegs.
August 15th, 2005 10:54 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Eh, yeah, T&A, but I feel like if you're just going to play the coda of that song for fifteen minutes, there's not a lot of point. After awhile, not even Mick Taylor can keep that interesting. There are only so many false endings and loverly Latin-influenced licks you can play before boring the audience to tears. It's certainly effortless, but too often with the guitar virtuosos (see: Jimmy Page and his "Dazed And Confused" wankery), effortless becomes boring after dragging it on for too long.
August 15th, 2005 10:54 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
Sway w/out MT would be a huge mistake......

absolutely!

but they MUST play it. This is an emergency situation. They MUST call in the Black Crowes to make a special guest spot to play on Sway or else it will become a huge embarrassment. Rich Robinson & Marc Ford are the only guitarists that could salvage this song in MT's absence.

CALL THE CROWES!!!!
August 15th, 2005 11:00 AM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

absolutely!

but they MUST play it. This is an emergency situation. They MUST call in the Black Crowes to make a special guest spot to play on Sway or else it will become a huge embarrassment. Rich Robinson & Marc Ford are the only guitarists that could salvage this song in MT's absence.

CALL THE CROWES!!!!

I have decided my favorite Black Crowes song is Monster, which to me, sounds a little bit like CYHMK...
August 15th, 2005 11:10 AM
Joey
quote:
DiamondsDisease wrote:
Hi people. Although I have visited this board every now and then, I´m new over here. I just read on http://stones.web-log.nl that Sway has been rehearsed... Now all we need is Let it Loose and we are going to have a killer tour out there and a killer album. Greetz....

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis
August 15th, 2005 11:20 AM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis

I have bad cramps and gas this morning..................developing.
August 15th, 2005 11:23 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

I have bad cramps and gas this morning..................developing.

I already have clogged up three different toilets on two separate floors of our seven story office building complex .

The " Sanitation Engineers " hate me and curse the day I was born .................WAIT !!!!!!! :

******** END TRANSMISSION *****************

[Edited by Steelie ]

[Edited by Joey]
August 15th, 2005 03:25 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

Ronnie is capable of basic playing on the level of say Voodoo or others here...He has no ability to play any meaningful solos as we have all too painfully seen.

Funny !

Great Posting !

Please feel free to procure ' on stage ' seating to the Detroit Comerica Park gig .

Flacky !

[ Edited by Flacky ]
[Edited by Joey]
August 15th, 2005 05:10 PM
Chuck Why do so many fans want the Stones to do what's basically a MT song, WITHOUT MT????

It just don't make sense.

August 15th, 2005 05:52 PM
Gazza yeah..they should leave that entire 1969-74 part of their catalogue out of the show just to be on the safe side...
August 15th, 2005 06:22 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Also, have you heard Taylor's versions of the song recently? Gimme the Stones's current live version over that any day. He cuts out the entire first section and just wanks aimlessly on that solo. Yawn. I hope he doesn't try "Sway".

I saw him live a few years back. Thats exactly what it was, a wank. Ronnie played Taylor's solo better.

That whole second part is a wank anyway, and never should have been appended to the monumental rocker CYHMK. Session player should never be asked their thoughts on song structure.
August 15th, 2005 06:27 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I saw him live a few years back. Thats exactly what it was, a wank. Ronnie played Taylor's solo better.

That whole second part is a wank anyway, and never should have been appended to the monumental rocker CYHMK. Session player should never be asked their thoughts on song structure.

If that's "wanking," then what Ronnie plays must come from the opposite orifice.
August 15th, 2005 06:32 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Sway w/out MT would be a huge mistake......

a Stones show without Jb would be a huge mistake.
August 15th, 2005 06:46 PM
Saint Sway the cold hard truth is that Mick Taylor cant play it anymore and neither can the Stones.

there is ONLY ONE BAND that can properly rock out CYHMK & Sway - and thats The Black Crowes!!

and y'all can say whatever you want about there catalog and not measuring up to the Stones - and its cool if you dont dig em - but as far as those 2 songs go they are the only band right now that can do those tunes justice.

fact is, in 2005, the Crowes would smoke the Stones - or even the Stones w/Mick Taylor - on a live version of CYMK

Mick Jagger is the most competant guitarist in the Stones right now folks. When it comes to the point that we need Sir Mick to play slide on BOMH, you know they're fucked.

I hope they prove me wrong and can rock out Sway. But right now I'd rather hear the Crowes play it.
August 15th, 2005 06:57 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the cold hard truth is that Mick Taylor cant play it anymore and neither can the Stones.

there is ONLY ONE BAND that can properly rock out CYHMK & Sway - and thats The Black Crowes!!

and y'all can say whatever you want about there catalog and not measuring up to the Stones - and its cool if you dont dig em - but as far as those 2 songs go they are the only band right now that can do those tunes justice.

fact is, in 2005, the Crowes would smoke the Stones - or even the Stones w/Mick Taylor - on a live version of CYMK

Mick Jagger is the most competant guitarist in the Stones right now folks. When it comes to the point that we need Sir Mick to play slide on BOMH, you know they're fucked.

I hope they prove me wrong and can rock out Sway. But right now I'd rather hear the Crowes play it.

The sad thing is: maybe you are right...
August 15th, 2005 07:17 PM
kath nobody's heard whether ronnie "can play sway" or not!! jeeezuz, why do you have to BITCH about everything, even before it happens??!!!

August 15th, 2005 07:28 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the cold hard truth is that Mick Taylor cant play it anymore and neither can the Stones.

Then go AND see the Crowes and quit bothering this board with this insistance that the BC are the greatest act which has ever lived or rocked. Face the facts, you're a fanatic and you're perceptions are way out of wack. I've
seen the CROWES about 11 or 12 times and I've seen the STONES 11 times. So I know a little about both bands (saw the CROWES twice this year). Except for one show by the STONES (the 2003 show in Amsterdam during the Licks tour), they kick the Crowes ass. Not even close. As I told you in another thread, comparing the CROWES to the STONES is like comparing a minor league team to a major league team except to the hard core, fanatics fresh off from posting on the BLACK CROWES message board; the STONES are in a different league when it comes to talent.

But what the hell, I'm not going to convince you of that because your a fanatic. To each their own. I do like the CROWES, have all their albums even if they do go a little stale over time as many of their songs sound the same, AND would recommend their live show to anyone. It's great entertainment.

Also, in this entire thread, I keep on hearing from JB and his loyal band of kiss ass followers on how terrible the STONES are, how lousy their guitarist are, and how once upon a time over 30 years they were a great band. Look you're certainly entitled to your opinion and it's just as valid as mine but I, for one, get tired of all this negativity at a time when it should be mostly positive. I know I won't be greeted but, unlike some of the ones that are wetting themselves at night, I look upon as a good thing. What do you think about that????

August 15th, 2005 07:34 PM
FPM C10 Wow. And I thought the left vs right Neocon posts were tiresome! Everybody has said what they had to say three times! It reminds me of the catydids, the noisy insects which sing every night here in the Red innards of a Blue state. "Catie Did." "Catie didn't." "Yes she did." "No she didn't." All night long, back and forth, and none of the insects ever change their minds about Catie.

We're obviously at a very tense and tenuous stage of the Process, poised between the Sneak Preview and The Onslaught...we are On, some might say, The Verge. A little tense.

I've never held Sway in anywhere near the same esteem I hold CYHMK. It's weird song, built on a weird riff. I look forward to hearing it, but think it probably won't work too well.

CYHMK rocked the fucking house. Some a yall ur nuts.

August 15th, 2005 07:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Wow. And I thought the left vs right Neocon posts were tiresome! Everybody has said what they had to say three times! It reminds me of the catydids, the noisy insects which sing every night here in the Red innards of a Blue state. "Catie Did." "Catie didn't." "Yes she did." "No she didn't." All night long, back and forth, and none of the insects ever change their minds about Catie.

We're obviously at a very tense and tenuous stage of the Process, poised between the Sneak Preview and The Onslaught...we are On, some might say, The Verge. A little tense.

I've never held Sway in anywhere near the same esteem I hold CYHMK. It's weird song, built on a weird riff. I look forward to hearing it, but think it probably won't work too well.

CYHMK rocked the fucking house. Some a yall ur nuts.

August 15th, 2005 07:55 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

CALL THE CROWES!!!!

fuck them...if that useless little weasel Robinson singer even tries to come near a show, security should kick his skinny ass back to Atlanta
August 15th, 2005 09:49 PM
T&A
quote:
kath wrote:
nobody's heard whether ronnie "can play sway" or not!! jeeezuz, why do you have to BITCH about everything, even before it happens??!!!

Geez, Kath - I know you're not a newbie here. Kind of a dumb question, don't you think. Why? That's what we do on this board.
August 16th, 2005 03:03 AM
JuanTCB Much like the Stones doing "Sway", this is my first time doing this. Longtime troller, firsttime poster. Love this board and incredibly psyched for Sunday.

This is a test.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)