ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Slane Castle, Slane (near Dublin), Aug 18, 2007
© Stray Cat UK
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'SHINE A LIGHT' DELAYED UNTIL 2008 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
9th August 2007 10:30 PM
GotToRollMe Scorsese's Rolling Stones film delayed until 2008

Friday August 10, 01:09 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The theatrical release of Martin Scorsese's concert documentary about the Rolling Stones has been postponed by seven months to sometime next April, distributor Paramount Classics said on Thursday.
A spokeswoman said the Viacom Inc.-owned studio needed more time to set up the promotional campaign for "Shine A Light," noting that the band is busy touring Europe until August 26.

The film, whose title comes from an old Rolling Stones gospel song, was shot during two performances at New York's Beacon Theatre last fall, when guest performers included bluesman Buddy Guy, rocker Jack White of the White Stripes, and pop singer Christina Aguilera.

Scorsese, who often uses Rolling Stones compositions in his movies, was in Rome early last month to screen a rough cut of the film for the band. The documentary originally had been set to open in theaters on September 21.

The Rolling Stones recently released a four-disc DVD documenting various stops on the 2006 leg of their "Bigger Bang" world tour. Singer Mick Jagger is also preparing for the October release of an album compiling tracks from his various solo endeavors.

Link: http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/070810/5/169g.html

9th August 2007 10:34 PM
pdog oh well...

9th August 2007 10:35 PM
Mel Belli I'm actually glad about this. I'm tired of the Stones rushing things out the door.
9th August 2007 10:49 PM
pdog and it will have a soundtrack release next summer, bet?
9th August 2007 10:57 PM
robpop More time for more over dubs.
10th August 2007 02:18 AM
GimmeExile "set up promotional campaign" implies something special...perhaps some live shows!
10th August 2007 04:48 AM
mrhipfl I was so looking forward to this.
10th August 2007 06:20 AM
LadyJane Hmmmmmmmmm....the Shine A Light small venue tour, Summer 08.

This would really work well for me!!!!!!!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
10th August 2007 06:33 AM
charlotte typical...the right hand does not know what its ass is doing...MS took a look and said "wait a fucking a minute, this needs some work"
10th August 2007 07:04 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmm....the Shine A Light small venue tour, Summer 08.

This would really work well for me!!!!!!!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]

oh yes!! sounds like a fantastic program LJ
10th August 2007 07:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
"set up promotional campaign" implies something special...perhaps some live shows!

Makes the most sense doesnt it? After all, promotional work usually involves interviews and they can do that shit in a day or two

Maybe what robpop says is correct too. The film is quite obviously finished. Maybe the Stones saw the completed version and didnt like it?

However, I'm amazed that Scorsese can be talking about this upcoming release just weeks ago in the press, then an official site gets set up within the last week - and immediately afterwards the whole thing gets put on hold for about 6 months with the premiere being only 6 weeks away.

10th August 2007 07:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I'm actually glad about this. I'm tired of the Stones rushing things out the door.

Wouldnt say its 'rushed' as the release date was 11 months after the shows took place, but I'm actually quite glad in a way too.

At least it gives us SOMETHING to look forward Stones-wise to for sure in 2008 at a time when many of us (myself included) were having trouble foreseeing any Stones activity beyond September 2007.
10th August 2007 08:18 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Makes the most sense doesnt it? After all, promotional work usually involves interviews and they can do that shit in a day or two

Maybe what robpop says is correct too. The film is quite obviously finished. Maybe the Stones saw the completed version and didnt like it?

However, I'm amazed that Scorsese can be talking about this upcoming release just weeks ago in the press, then an official site gets set up within the last week - and immediately afterwards the whole thing gets put on hold for about 6 months with the premiere being only 6 weeks away.

what makes you think they might tour? seriously, theyve never toured behind anything other than albums i think
10th August 2007 08:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

what makes you think they might tour? seriously, theyve never toured behind anything other than albums i think

I dont. I'm clutching at straws.

I dont think they'll ever make another studio album, and the last two tours (when they toured behind a hits album and then behind a studio album which they quickly ignored) has seen them apparently 'accept' their status as a nostalgia act who no longer need fresh 'product' to motivate them to tour.

So, IF they are to tour again in any shape or form, a new album isnt really needed anymore. Theyve played 3 shows on this ABB tour (two at the Beacon and the Madrid show in June) where they didnt play a single song from the album theyre supposedly touring behind.

The Stones havent really toured 'behind' an album in a LONG time. The tour is the big earner and the main reason for their existence. If anything, they release an album to promote a tour, whereas most acts go on tour to promote an album.
10th August 2007 08:40 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I dont. I'm clutching at straws.

I dont think they'll ever make another studio album, and the last two tours (when they toured behind a hits album and then behind a studio album which they quickly ignored) has seen them apparently 'accept' their status as a nostalgia act who no longer need fresh 'product' to motivate them to tour.

So, IF they are to tour again in any shape or form, a new album isnt really needed anymore. Theyve played 3 shows on this ABB tour (two at the Beacon and the Madrid show in June) where they didnt play a single song from the album theyre supposedly touring behind.

The Stones havent really toured 'behind' an album in a LONG time. The tour is the big earner and the main reason for their existence. If anything, they release an album to promote a tour, whereas most acts go on tour to promote an album.

interesting insight - time will tell
10th August 2007 08:52 AM
gimmekeef No official word has arrived at The Atlanta Summit Headquarters.....But its (Sept 21) a Friday night and I drink and play Stones all night anyway....The show must go on!
10th August 2007 08:58 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Well, the answer is obvious: The Great And Powerful Mick Has Spoken!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
10th August 2007 09:14 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Well, the answer is obvious: The Great And Powerful Mick Has Spoken!

10th August 2007 09:22 AM
charlotte bullshit...it's not ready, MS looked at a rough draft and called bullshit, he has enough professionalism in him not to rush a product out to the public before it's ready.do you really think mick has/had more power than martin on this project? not hardly

what a long time ago: when 4 ABB tunes started the whole "never ending ABB Tour"

21st August Boston Fenway
#5.rought justice
#6.back of my hand
#12.infamy
#14.ONNYA
10th August 2007 09:26 AM
egon is the new DVD out in europe yet?
(in France...)
10th August 2007 09:30 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Hee hee...
On second thought, maybe he just pummelled Marty into submission with his magic flashlight.
*ducks and runs*
10th August 2007 09:30 AM
SweetVirginia I think it was released in late July.

It's on Amazon.fr:

http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_ss_w/402-3745517-8203366?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=biggest+bang&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

10th August 2007 09:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
is the new DVD out in europe yet?
(in France...)

yes it is, 42 euros at Fnac buddy.

ps: Severine says hi to you and Sonia
10th August 2007 09:32 AM
egon ah, i shall buy it this weekend, together with my beertender.

The "wife" will be so happy!
10th August 2007 09:36 AM
SweetVirginia I'm sure Biggest Bang is much less expensive than the Beertender.

Probably will not supply as much entertainment, though.

10th August 2007 09:37 AM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

ps: Severine says hi to you and Sonia

merki! passe le bonjour & gros bisou!
10th August 2007 09:38 AM
egon
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
I'm sure Biggest Bang is much less expensive than the Beertender.

Probably will not supply as much entertainment, though.

this weekend shall go down as:
"the big buying-stuff-you-don't-need weekend"
10th August 2007 11:12 AM
Joey " LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The theatrical release of Martin Scorsese's concert documentary about the Rolling Stones has been postponed by seven months to sometime next April, distributor Paramount Classics said on Thursday.
A spokeswoman said the Viacom Inc.-owned studio needed more time to set up the promotional campaign for "Shine A Light," noting that the band is busy touring Europe until August 26. "

....and then , Depression set in !!!!!

**** CUE BERNSTEIN MUSIC ****

Joey " Bill " Murray ! ™

10th August 2007 11:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
charlotte wrote:
bullshit...it's not ready, MS looked at a rough draft and called bullshit, he has enough professionalism in him not to rush a product out to the public before it's ready.do you really think mick has/had more power than martin on this project? not hardly

Mick have more power? Maybe not. Then again, Scorsese has surely had a lot more access to the final cut of this film and as recently as a week or two ago was at a screening of it. Surely that - plus the fact that only last week a website for the film was launched - suggests he was 'content' with what he had.

The Stones - and Jagger in particular - unfortunately have a long history of dumping or delaying filmed documentations of their performances because they werent happy with something. Rock n Roll Circus, the 1971 Marquee TV special (to this day never shown in the UK, just on the continent where they felt the reaction wouldnt be as hostile), the San Jose 'No Security' shows to name but three examples.

Its ironic that their quality control seems to go down the crapper when it comes the way their audio releases are presented (witness the 'Live Licks' and 'rarities' fiascoes), but they seem incredibly protective about how they're going to be preserved on celluloid.
10th August 2007 11:39 AM
glencar I would think Mick & Keith were the reasons for this film's release getting delayed. Frustrating!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)