ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Give the world the best tour so far or leave us alone!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Rolling Stone Article: Rolling Stones Strip Down Return to archive
August 16th, 2005 12:23 PM
justinkurian Rolling Stones Strip Down

Rock legends go back to basics, get political on the rough-edged "A Bigger Bang"

Mick Jagger had a simple plan for making A Bigger Bang, the Rolling Stones' first new studio album in eight years: "Concentrate on what you're doing. No fucking about or jamming for days," Jagger says bluntly in his dressing room in Toronto during a break in the Stones' rehearsals there for their upcoming world tour. "I thought, 'We can't do this album the way we've been doing them, spending months in a studio with hundreds of people. It's difficult, expensive and not much fun.'"

Instead, it was a bare-bones Stones -- Jagger, guitarist Keith Richards, drummer Charlie Watts, guitarist Ron Wood and bassist Darryl Jones -- that cut the bulk of the sixteen new Jagger-Richards songs on A Bigger Bang, which will be released by Virgin on September 6th. There are no special guests on the record -- which runs the gamut from the old-school-Stones raunch of "Rough Justice" and "Oh No, Not You Again" to the country-soul ballad "Biggest Mistake" and the bleak R&B of "Laugh, I Nearly Died" -- and there is only occasional piano and organ from touring keyboardist Chuck Leavell and the album's co-producer Don Was. On three tracks -- the crunchy blues "Back of My Hand," the slow, hard strut "Dangerous Beauty" and the topical stomp "Sweet Neo Con," which takes dead aim at the Bush administration with lines like "You say you are a patriot/I think that you're a crock of shit" -- the entire band is the founding trio of Jagger, Richards and Watts, now fully recovered from his battle with throat cancer last year.

"It's not just a lineup," Richards says of the Stones with a rusty chuckle. "It's a feeling -- what the musicians who are playing can do when they have to. Mick would not have played the bass [on some tracks] for any other reason than we didn't have a bass player around at the time. And I guess we were feeling that if there's no Charlie, we had to rethink what we could do, even if it was just because he wasn't there for now."

Jagger and Richards were only a couple of days into writing together for the album at Jagger's home in France when they got the news of Watts' diagnosis. The drummer told Jagger that he had been given excellent prospects for a complete recovery following surgery and chemotherapy. "So I didn't go into a total tailspin," Jagger says. "I just carried on making a record." But Richards says that waiting for Watts to get well "made Mick and I play together more, on that basic level of putting songs together. For the blues 'Back of My Hand,' we just went, 'Let's start with where we started.' It was a beauty to play."

The Stones are so pleased with A Bigger Bang that, according to Wood, they have rehearsed a dozen of the new songs for the tour, which opens on August 21st at Boston's Fenway Park and, like the 2002-03 jaunt, will include stadium, theater and arena productions with different set lists. "A lot of our studio stuff is too overdubbed," says Watts. But A Bigger Bang "is a very basic record, and I hope people like it," he adds, smiling hopefully, "because it will make us do another one like it."

DAVID FRICKE
(Posted Aug 16, 2005)
August 16th, 2005 12:26 PM
justinkurian I didn't read it until I posted it...great ending line by Charlie.
August 16th, 2005 05:16 PM
mmdog
It is a great quote. I saw the printed edition over the weekend. In the magazine it said "overproduced" not overdubbed.
August 16th, 2005 05:20 PM
pdog I'm not holding my breath for club shows. Then again maybe they've decided to them all in 2006 and things are being kept very hush, hush.
August 16th, 2005 07:22 PM
Soldatti Charlie is the man.
August 17th, 2005 02:17 PM
Jair Charlie is always good!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)