ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Give the world the best tour so far or leave us alone!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 16 August - rock and roll's black day Return to archive
August 15th, 2005 07:52 PM
stonedinaustralia better known as the day the King, Elvis that is, died by eerie co-incidence also the day the Robert Johnson shuffled off this mortal coil

rumours of murder remain just that as his death certificate simply notes "no doctor" under cause of death

August 15th, 2005 08:19 PM
Angiegirl rock and roll's black day?

Not for me though. Aug 16 - 2 years ago I was enjoying the Stones' Rock 'n Roll at the Vredenburg club show in Holland
August 15th, 2005 08:22 PM
stonedinaustralia ok Angie girl - i may be being a little melodramatic

but i was always struck by that co-incidence
August 15th, 2005 08:26 PM
Angiegirl Age 26, amazing isn't it? And yet we all know who he was!
August 15th, 2005 08:35 PM
stonedinaustralia yeah - funny (funny weird not funny hilarious) he was that age - about the same as all the other rock and roll "live fast die young" deaths cf. Brian, Jimi, Janis, Jim Morrison and more recently Kurt Cobain

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
August 15th, 2005 09:49 PM
Gazza 16th August always has been a black day for me since 1977....

but talkin' of black, no rock n roll singer ever looked better in that colour...

[Edited by Gazza]
August 16th, 2005 02:19 AM
CraigP Elvis can suck beef jerkey, the Stones are the real kings of Rock&Roll.
August 16th, 2005 03:25 AM
JuanTCB Elvis died for our sins! He did it all first (except write his own songs). Think about it - compromising himself for TV, awful movies (except the first few), prescription drugs, bad management, Vegas, onstage martial arts exhibition, getting fat, jumpsuits, early death . . . learn from his mistakes and don't follow his lead.

E is still the man, 28 years on. R.I.P.
August 16th, 2005 03:48 AM
z Keith Richards owns the original document (Robert Johnson's death certificate), doesn't he?
August 16th, 2005 03:55 AM
beer
quote:
z wrote:
Keith Richards owns the original document (Robert Johnson's death certificate), doesn't he?

That's what i remember reading in a Mojo from a couple years ago.It was the Mojo with Keith on the cover, holding a blind willie LP, if i remember right. I think it said he has the certificate hangin on the wall in his Connecticut home. It was a great article too, gonna have to find it now...

-
August 16th, 2005 08:21 AM
J.J.Flash Elvis, only God knows how much I love you man! R.I.P.!
August 16th, 2005 05:46 PM
Stray Cat UK At least he didn't live long enough to see his daughter marry wacko !

68 special is still awesome.

sc uk
August 16th, 2005 08:13 PM
glencar Elvis will always be the King. Graceland is a world of wonder & I didn't feel that way before visiting the palce.
August 16th, 2005 10:33 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Elvis, you will always be the king to me! Thank you for the good times.
R.I.P
August 16th, 2005 10:40 PM
corgi37 I did 2 things when i heard Elvis croaked.

1. Said "Who gives a fat rats ass" to my Mum.

2. Laughed at the "rocker" kids who were crying whilst waiting for a train to go to school. Yep, we had a total of 2 rockers in 1977.

Elvis means jack-shit to me. Always has. Always will. He's just not my cup of tea, though i can appreciate people liking him for more or less being, well, Elvis.

Gimme my boys any day.

Yep, my boys.

Racey.
August 16th, 2005 10:58 PM
the good Elvis was a great entertainer, but he never wrote a single song in his life, did he?
August 16th, 2005 11:10 PM
FPM C10
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I did 2 things when i heard Elvis croaked.

1. Said "Who gives a fat rats ass" to my Mum.

2. Laughed at the "rocker" kids who were crying whilst waiting for a train to go to school. Yep, we had a total of 2 rockers in 1977.

Elvis means jack-shit to me. Always has. Always will. He's just not my cup of tea, though i can appreciate people liking him for more or less being, well, Elvis.

Gimme my boys any day.

Yep, my boys.

Racey.

Me too, Corgi. I was sitting in my dirty filthy basement smoking a bong on this day in 1977 and when told the news of the King's death I believe I said "Feh."

John Lennon's reaction to Elvis's death was "Elvis died when he joined the army." I agreed but John had precious little room to talk.

With the exception of the black leather section of the comeback special and a few other choice moments, Elvis's claim to immortality rests with the recordings he did pre-1960. I'd think a lot more of him if he had died in a planecrash in 1958 instead of becoming a trainwreck in 1977.

Still, the Sun Sessions alone qualifies him for immortality. Stuff like "That's All Right Mama" is undeniably (yet accidentally, and that's the beauty of it) some of the realest rock&roll ever, a perfect melding of forbidden black rhythm and church-goin' white pop. And the incredible mood he creates in "Blue Moon" is spooky and timeless and beyond words.

But it seems like he had it right the first time out of the gate and wasted no time in throwing it away and covering it up with crap. As soon as he fired Scotty Moore and the boys he was done, and everytime he did something good after that it was almost accidental.
August 16th, 2005 11:12 PM
T&A listening right now to Elvis - El Paso 6-2-76 - he was INDEED THE KING!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)