ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Give the world the best tour so far or leave us alone!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My favorite Americans (SSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 15th, 2005 02:41 PM
Monkey Woman With the controversies around "Sweet Neo Con", Fox News abuse, Schwartzenegger using the Stones to gather money for his party and other sensitive political stuff, there was a sort of "transatlantic rift" (in the words of an IORR member) at work on this board and others. Too bad, when the Stones music is a common ground for all. And what common ground!

So I thought: why not try and send a little love over the ocean (and the WWW) toward the USA part of North America, for a change... I happen to like and admire a lot of American artists, musicians, writers, scientists, thinkers... As well as ordinary citizens, guys and girls, people I met at concerts or here and there in ordinary life. In some way, they helped me at some step in my life, wether because of a book I read or a film I watched, a song I enjoyed, an idea that fired me up, or just a simple chance meeting.

This is not political or controversial in intent, just a little post to say "thank you" to all of them, unknown or famous, living or deceased. You may be puzzled at some of the names on my list or even dislike them totally, but of course it's all right, because there are not two individuals on Earth with the exact same tastes.

Lois McMaster Bujold ("Read or you will be missing something extraordinary.")
Connie Willis
Ursula Le Guin
her parents Alfred and Theodora Kroeber
for that matter, Ishi himself
Isaac Asimov
Roger Zelazny
Poul Anderson
Fritz Leiber
R.E. Howard
Suzy McKee Charnas
Kristin Katherine Rusch
Carolyn J. Cherryh
Mary Doria Russell
Lilian Jackson Braun
Donald Westlake a.k.a. Richard Stark
John Maddox Roberts
Thomas Harris
Robert Harris
H.P. Lovecraft
Edgar Allan Poe
Jack London
Mark Twain
Ambrose Bierce
Henry James
David Quammen (author of "Monster of God")
Tony Horwitz ("Blue Latitudes")
Paul Theroux
Stephen Jay Gould
Gregory Bateson
Mary Catherine Bateson
Aaron T. Beck
Jeffrey E. Young
Janet S. Klosko
Steve Jobs
Franklin D. Rooseveldt, my favorite American president, for obvious reasons
Gal George C. Marshall, of the Marshall Plan (the USA throwing lots of money at war-ridden Western Europe to help rebuild the economy and lure them away from both Communism and fascism was one of the truly positive effects of the Cold War, IMO)
Gal Douglas MacArthur, for what he did in Asia during WWII at the time when my grandparents lived in Indochina
someone at the Standard Oil who hired my grandfather when he was young, enabling him to escape poverty and become not only quite wealthy but a respected, important person in his community
Art Spiegelman (author of "Maus", among other things)
Stephen Spielberg
George Lucas
Frank Oz
Jim Henson ("Dark Crystal"!)
Woody Allen
Richard Donner
Johnattan Demme
Clint Eastwood
Harrison Ford
Sylvester "Sly" Stallone (yes, yes, I know... everybody is young once)
Viggo Mortensen
Bruce Willis
Brad Pitt ("12 Monkeys")
David Twohy ("Pitch Black")
Vin Diesel (yes, yes...)
Samuel L. Jackson
Wesley Snipes
Denzel Washington
Al Pacino
Anrew Niccol
uncredited but stunning Rachel Roberts
Julia Roberts
Julianne Moore
Katharine Hepburn!!!
Sir Anthony Hopkins (received American citizenship in 2000)
Bill Murray
Sophia Coppola
Johnny Depp
Tim Burton
Ed Wood
Terry Gilliam
Charlie Kaufman
Nick Nunziata (the only film critc-webmaster-webcomic artist-movie producer in the world)
David Craig Simpson, of Ozy & Millie fame
Bill Watterson
Steve Troop (once a sci-fi fan, you never stop to be one)
John Robey a.k.a. "The Gneech"
Stanley Booth
Robert Greenfield
Lou Reed
Muddy Waters
Ray Charles
Jimmy Reed
Sonny Rollins
Robert Johnson
Ella Fitzgerald
Nina Simone
Tracy Chapman
Tanita Tikaram
Joan Baez
Bob Dylan
Barbara Hendricks
Jack and Meg White
Darryl Jones
Bobby Keys
Tim Ries
Chuck Leavell (despite what Moonisup or Jay can say!)
Doug Potash of Shidoobee (man, I owe you a drink! hope to see you next year in England!)
Jaxx, the American element of the Unholy Trilogy
mr jimmy of Boston, who got me into the Astoria...
Wayne from Hawaii - thanks for your patience!
SheSaidYeag from Shidoobee - a sweet guy
that nice elderly NYC couple with whom I talked one day in a little Paris restaurant
that other couple who heartily commanded to us a Tibetan restaurant in Paris (yes!)
that great funny girl I met during college, who flat refused to sing the American anthem during one of our singsongs (everybody sang his/her country's anthem) or even "Yankee Doodle" or "Born In America"
the cute American (male) intern at our high school
my first high school English teacher's American friends, who passed on to her so much of their culture and language, for her to give to us
several visiting US science professors I met during college
and all the American citizens who happened to walk into my booth at the Foreing Residents tax office where I worked for several years, whith whom one could often have a little chat.

I've no doubt I'm forgetting a lot of people. But for the time being, to all of you, just these two words: thank you.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 15th, 2005 02:53 PM
Jumping Jack Good post, but maybe you want to scratch Mark Twain from your list:

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
---Mark Twain

August 15th, 2005 03:11 PM
J.J.Flash Chuck Leavell?!?!??!?! no please....ANYBODY but Chuck Leavell.....
August 15th, 2005 03:18 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Good post, but maybe you want to scratch Mark Twain from your list:

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
---Mark Twain

"You can blame nobody, except me for making them sound like a vegas act. Mick and Keith have never asked me to take care of their music direction, that was just a huge mistake when they agreed signing my own contract without supervision of an attorney. This was supported by a clause I demanded in the contract, or I could sell their music like Michael Jackson had been doing with the Beatles catalog. Luckily, with the lack of attention and in the heat of the circumstances, I've made it."

Chuck Leavell - circa 1989
[Edited by FPM C10]
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
August 15th, 2005 03:23 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

"You can blame nobody, except me for making them sound like a vegas act. Mick and Keith have never asked me to take care of their music direction, that was just a huge mistake when they agreed signing my own contract without supervision of an attorney. This was supported by a clause I demanded in the contract, or I could sell their music like Michael Jackson had been doing with the Beatles catalog. Luckily, with the lack of attention and in the heat of the circumstances, I've made it."

Chuck Leavell - circa 1989
[Edited by FPM C10]
[Edited by J.J.Flash]

There are some good posting in it.......call Chicago Pug.....this afternoon, I became a factor and joined the Hall of Fame!

You flatter me sir!
August 15th, 2005 03:30 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

There are some good posting in it.......call Chicago Pug.....this afternoon, I became a factor and joined the Hall of Fame!

You flatter me sir!

YES SIR!!! ... " Ho ! ... Ho ! ... Ho ! " ( In Ed McMahon voice )
August 15th, 2005 04:07 PM
FPM C10 My brother Jay, you have been a factor for months! I swear the god!

Monkey Woman, I like your list...very few names I was not familiar with.

America thanks you. (Cue poplar)
August 15th, 2005 04:11 PM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

You flatter me sir!

while we dont have a HOF here.......you are in it! I am a proud pug today!
August 15th, 2005 04:12 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
My brother Jay, you have been a factor for months! I swear the god!

Monkey Woman, I like your list...very few names I was not familiar with.

I've even started considering start posting at The Couch!
August 15th, 2005 04:14 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

while we dont have a HOF here.......you are in it! I am a proud pug today!

Ouch.... does it mean that my efforts were in vain and that was a paltry honour?!?!?

You made Jay cry like a baby!
August 15th, 2005 04:14 PM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Fleabit ...................................

Saturday afternoon I was outside doing yard work when something ' bit me ' on the inner thigh . At first , it was just a tiny red mark ( like a pimple ) but now the damn thing is beginning to itch and has swelled up to the size of a marble .

I am seriously thinking of placing an appointment with my Dermatologist , Dr. Regan , but he charges a lot for office calls ( to pay off his booze merchants ) and my employeee insurance will not cover the cost of the visit .

Please , Feabit ........... I value your opinion on this matter . What should I do ?!?!?!

Flacky !

[Edited by Kid Joey ]
[Edited by Joey]
August 15th, 2005 04:22 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Joey wrote:

Fleabit ...................................

Saturday afternoon I was outside doing yard work when something ' bit me ' on the inner thigh . At first , it was just a tiny red mark ( like a pimple ) but now the damn thing is beginning to itch and has swelled up to the size of a marble .

I am seriously thinking of placing an appointment with my Dermatologist , Dr. Regan , but he charges a lot for office calls ( to pay off his booze merchants ) and my employeee insurance will not cover the cost of the visit .

Please , Feabit ........... I value your opinion on this matter . What should I do ?!?!?!

Flacky !

[Edited by Kid Joey ]
[Edited by Joey]

Just in advance for what Flea would advise you, the chance of this turns to skin cancer are minimal and you shall not worry until it starts "flowing".
August 15th, 2005 04:50 PM
voodoopug
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Ouch.... does it mean that my efforts were in vain and that was a paltry honour?!?!?

You made Jay cry like a baby!

more of a cry that we need our own HOF here....you are an innovator and could lead the way to our own ROcks Off Cooperstown.
August 15th, 2005 06:47 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

more of a cry that we need our own HOF here....you are an innovator and could lead the way to our own ROcks Off Cooperstown.

You shall be greeted in São Paulo/Rio de Janeiro the following summer!!

All HAIL!
August 15th, 2005 07:38 PM
FPM C10
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

All HAIL!

!!!!!
August 16th, 2005 01:03 AM
Zulu Fun Mix A very nice gesture, Monkey Woman! Now, is there any chance the American Europe-bashers on the board could respond in kind?
August 16th, 2005 03:59 AM
Monkey Woman Ask Jumping Jack!
There's no chance in hell I'm going to scratch Mark Twain off the list simply because of something disparaging he wrote about France. Maybe that's the difference between being a patriot and being... well, obsessive, at least.

Also, I edited the list because of the several names I left out, I can't understand why.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 16th, 2005 04:12 AM
Poplar
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

We do indeed, from the cockles of our collective heart.

seriously, great post MW.

Stones tour!!!!!!!
August 16th, 2005 04:23 AM
Jumacfly my favorite american are Magic Johnson, Izzy Stradlin and Mike D!!

great post MW, you re the best french ambassador ever!!
August 16th, 2005 04:28 AM
Monkey Woman Thanks, FPM, Poplar and all! It's a pleasure, Stones are on tour, they have a new album, that's exciting stuff.

And Ju, if I'm to by an ambassador, I want the related pay!!!
August 16th, 2005 04:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

And Ju, if I'm to by an ambassador, I want the related pay!!!

this related pay will help you to attempt Fenway with Arnold
August 16th, 2005 04:36 AM
Monkey Woman Nah, I thought I'd just do a big birthday bash for an exclusive little crowd and hire the Stones to play. You'll be on the list, Ju!
August 16th, 2005 06:07 AM
corgi37 It always makes me laugh when people bag Americans. For the most part, they are fantastic people. Better than those horrible Chinese, who will one day rule us with a bamboo fist. But, no one bags them.

What an odd thread?

But, who am i to miss out.

My fave Yanks (no order)

Brooke Burke
John Holmes (God bless his....er....soul)
George A. Romero
The Marx Brothers
Alisha Klass
"Wifey"

and, thats about it. Anyone on this board is automatically included.

Now, when's the "My favourite Zaire-ian" thread starting?
August 16th, 2005 06:14 AM
egon - Levi's (almost american)
- Micky D (not the clown itself though cos he freaks me out)
- whoever designed that 1969 cadillac coupe de ville
- whoever designed the dodge charger
- dr john stith pemberdon
- the budweiser family
- and of course the american side of the van de vrugt family

August 16th, 2005 08:11 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Ask Jumping Jack!
There's no chance in hell I'm going to scratch Mark Twain off the list simply because of something disparaging he wrote about France. Maybe that's the difference between being a patriot and being... well, obsessive, at least.

Also, I edited the list because of the several names I left out, I can't understand why.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]

But you at least could delete that bearded fake piano player, couldn't you my babe?!?
August 16th, 2005 08:12 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
egon wrote:
- Levi's (almost american)
- Micky D (not the clown itself though cos he freaks me out)
- whoever designed that 1969 cadillac coupe de ville
- whoever designed the dodge charger
- dr john stith pemberdon
- the budweiser family
- and of course the american side of the van de vrugt family

You forgot Jack Daniels......
August 16th, 2005 08:27 AM
egon jack and i got in a fight once when i was 16,
and we've never managed to see eye to eye again since.
i blame him...
August 16th, 2005 08:49 AM
Jumacfly I forgot Ronald Mc Donald...
August 16th, 2005 09:16 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
egon wrote:
jack and i got in a fight once when i was 16,
and we've never managed to see eye to eye again since.
i blame him...

That story reminds me Alice Cooper Group's classic "I'm Eighteen".....

"Mom and dad got me drinkin' whiskey...."
August 16th, 2005 10:09 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

But you at least could delete that bearded fake piano player, couldn't you my babe?!?

Not on your life!
Fake pianos all the wayyy!!! Trees are for making guitars, Ronnie!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)