ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Feyenoord Stadium aka De Kuip August 11, 2003
Sven Hoogerhuis / CyberImage
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Kuip Review Return to archive
08-13-03 09:55 AM
Mathijs Here’s a very short review of the Rotterdam, August 11 show. It will be short, as there’s just not much to say about it.

Me and a very good friend arrived at about 8 O’Clock in the evening at the stadium, and due to our FOS tickets we found our friends very quickly around the tenth row, Ronnie’s side. We noticed the FOS-area was way too crowdy, the security apparently had let in too many people. Within 5 minutes Toots and the Maytals started to play, and I must say together with Johnnie Lang in the US, this was one of the most enjoyable openers. Suddenly we see Keith walking behind Chuck’s piano, and we see him settling himself up against Chuck’s monitors. Somebody gives him a very big joint, and for about 20 minutes we see Keith sitting about 10 meters away from us, smoking a big joint an enjoying the music. It also seemed that our group was the only group who saw him sitting there, as nobody responded. After 20 minutes, Keith stood up and walked behind the guitar amps where he stayed around with Ron and Bobby Keys. Strange thing was that when they were shown on the big screens no one in the audience seem to recognise them….

Now, the show. What can I say. To me, after seeing so many shows, including club- and arena shows, this show was just one big bore. They didn’t really make a lot of mistakes, but especially Ron and Keith seemed to be rather at home or at the hotel. Mick was trying his best, but he also wasn’t really in it, making quite some mistakes (forgetting lyrics in Pain it Black, Don’t Stop). Also, he clearly was having difficulties with his voice for the last half-hour, letting Lisa and Bernard do most of the vocals during Satisfaction and JJF. Major let down to me was Ron. He seemed not to be under the influence of anything (like he was at the Olympia), but to me it seemed like he just can’t play the guitar anymore. I would be surprised if the guy picks up the guitar at home or on the road just to practice. Almost all of his leads were out of tune, out of key, and off beat. For example, during Wild Horses he couldn’t figure out why his bends and stops didn’t work in A….the song was played in G. His solos in SMU, Don’t Stop and SFTD were just nothing more than some out of tune string bending. Charlie was the best of them four, hitting hard and trying to give the show some lift. It was nice to hear Starfucker and Little Red Rooster and I hated the dubbed intro of Gimme Shelter.

But over-all, it wasn’t a bad show. There was a great lack of energy coming from the stage and I simply had the feeling I was watching a rehearsed theatre play like Hair or Chicago, with hired-in actors. Keith once in a while seemed to wake up and remembered he was playing the part of this Rock and Roll guy Keith Richards. He then throws in some moves and falls asleep again. The same for Jagger and Wood. The concert was much like going to Disney World –you pay too much, you know what you’ll get and it just is flat out cheap entertainment. There was one high point though, which was watching Lisa’s breasts for 2 hours. Great fun.

Mathijs
08-13-03 10:00 AM
sirmoonie Great review! I felt like I was right there!
08-13-03 10:04 AM
jb Mathjis, do you agree that Keith is also playing very poorly this tour?
08-13-03 10:14 AM
Factory Girl I think they're very tired at this point. Still, they need to make an f/ing effort. They should play shorter tours.
08-13-03 10:21 AM
partner in crime hey mathijs,
it's marco from milan, italy.
tomorrow i'll fly to A'dam to attend ahoy and with good hope vredenburg with a friend o'thousand battles ... I would like to meet you, where can i get you?
ciao
marco
08-13-03 10:25 AM
jb Italy has and continues to be a very Beatles loving, Stones hating Nation.
08-13-03 10:31 AM
partner in crime hi jb,
who cares? what would you mean ?
me, i'm a fan even if I live in italy and i went all over europe and US to see the stones playin' live ...
ciao
m.
08-13-03 10:36 AM
jb You are obviously a big fan, but Italy has never shown the Stones the respect they deserved. The got 1/2 million at the Coliseum for the pathetic Macca yet, the Stones have never sold well in Italy....Please tell me why the Stones are so disliked by Italians?
08-13-03 10:45 AM
marko Stones sold very well in Italy in 1982.3 sold out shows.
08-13-03 10:58 AM
partner in crime yes jb,
half a million attended macca at fori imperiali in rome but it was for free and in a beautiful setting ... stones are not that popular as back in 99, or 98, they missed milano as jagger suffered of laryngitis and most of us never had a rembourse and about this tour because of tkt prices: I know, 75 euros FOS in s.siro was probably one of the cheapest but remember springsteen tkt was 45 same place and venue ... beatles were fine, played pop music, well dressed and with well combed hair vs stones hippies, junkies and nasty blues and r'n'r devoted ... remember the pope influence on italian media and way of life .. and I could go on and on and on ...
ciao
marco
08-13-03 11:00 AM
jb What about the cancelled shows Marko?
08-13-03 11:07 AM
marko 1990 Rome sold poorly,both shows were only half full.But
Milan-1990 sold out,i guess.
1995 they never didn´t even try to go to Italy,rome 90 still
in their memories.Not sure why they actually didn´t play
in Italy 98,or 99.Show had some 50 000 tix,i guess,but they
cancelled it.
08-13-03 11:09 AM
partner in crime jb,
if I'm not wrong they cancelled 2nd show in rome and sold poorly 2nd show in turin in 1990. I guess it was because they were out with steel wheels, imo one of their baddest album and because the concerts were very close to holiday period: people preferred to save money than go to the shows ...
m.
08-13-03 11:10 AM
jb Yes marko...post 82 very poor atendance....and 82 was only b/c it was "last tour" rumor...Italy has always favored Beatles and U2 to the Stones.
08-13-03 11:17 AM
marko They DID not cancel 2nd show in rome-90,shows they did was
Rome 25th and 26th of july
Turin,28th of july.

After Italy,they went to Austria,did a killer show in
Vienna.
Btw Turin 1990 was damn good show.
08-13-03 04:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Riiiight.

Back to *the topic*...

Math, what's goin' down with those kids, the Stones?

How many shows have you seen this tour? Which ones?

I gotta say, even though you're a Taylorite, you tend to give very honest reviews. They should hire you as guitar technician or something, just so you can give a little quiet encouragement to Pirate Keith (who would rather stay Pirate Keith instead go through the trouble of Guitar Keith) Richards and ("Spaced-Out") Ronnie ("Whoof, tours without booze are *boring*!") Wood.

At least Mick'n'Charlie are tryin' to get into it...

*sigh*...

-tSYX --- Now I'm out, whoah, out, of control...
08-14-03 05:04 AM
Zack Math,

What do you mean the "dubbed intro" to GS. Was it a tape? And if so why, and is it this way every night?

Thanks
08-14-03 11:11 AM
Moonisup Gimme shelter is a raped stonessong

however I can live with that, cos Chuck TAPED me today, together with some friends, he was hanging out his hotel window filming fans, and catched us standing