ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Feyenoord Stadium aka De Kuip August 11, 2003
Sven Hoogerhuis / CyberImage
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŃOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MOJO magazine Stones special Return to archive
08-12-03 09:28 AM
Mojostones Dear all
Hello from Mojo magazine in the UK. We have a 148-page, full-colour glossy special edition of the mag, devoted to The Rolling Stones on sale from 26 August.
The magazine features...
• New interviews with Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood
• The 50 Best Stones Songs Of All Time - as voted by fans
• The 10 Best Stones Albums reappraised
• Foreword by Andrew Loog Oldham
• Afterword by Anita Pallenberg
Plus much more

Available in all good newsagents or by ordering online ...

http://www.subscription.co.uk/products/mojostones

Hope you enjoy the magazine. Thanks for reading!

MOJO
08-12-03 10:12 AM
Martha Hi Mojostones,

Great news! Thanks for the heads up! I already subscribe to your wonderful magazine, does that mean I will receive this special edition or must I purchase it separately?

Martha in Ohio
08-12-03 10:55 AM
Mojostones Sorry Martha,
Bad news. You'll have to buy it!
Thanks for the compliment. Hope you like this Stones special.
08-12-03 12:24 PM
Lazy Bones From IORR.

08-12-03 02:23 PM
Gazza if youre the guy I wrote to a few weeks ago when you were putting this special together, I hope you've given us a plug
[Edited by Gazza]
08-12-03 02:58 PM
jb Is Mojo a Stones friendly magazine. I've heard the British tabloids have been quite hard on their native sons.
08-12-03 03:21 PM
Gazza lol...Josh you never give up...!!

look at the title "the words greatest rock n roll band"... it would kinda suggest a favourable leaning.

Mojo tends to be more aimed at a slightly older market (30's upwards I'd say) . basically the market Q used to aim at before they tried to get TOO trendy. So Stones fans would definitely fall into their demographic. theyve published some cracking fine specials in the past and this one should be good I hope
08-12-03 10:23 PM
JaggaRichards So when will this Stones copy it be availiable in the States???
08-13-03 02:21 AM
Child of the Moon "The Real Jagger, by Nick Kent," huh? Last time I checked Nick Kent is full of shit. Makes half the stuff he writes up. Not so sure about that, but the rest of it looks good. Yeah, when's it available here in the States?

08-13-03 05:10 AM
Mojostones Hi there
MOJO has always been very Stones friendly - several front covers in the past, so fear not. The coverline - The World's Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band - is a pretty fair indication of where our thinking is at. Re: sales in America. This will be available in the bigger bookstores - Barnes & Noble etc. But I would imagine it wouldn't arrive there until early September. There's always the option of ordering online. Re: Nick Kent's "shit quota". Check out his Jagger piece. Who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised. LOL.
If anyone has any queries re: buying Mojo Stones drop us a line at [email protected], and we'll get back to you asap. Thanks again for all your interest.
08-13-03 05:31 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Last time I checked Nick Kent is full of shit. Makes half the stuff he writes up

which half is that COM??

i've always been of the view that Kent is an exceptional writer (rock and roll or otherwise) - good turn of phrase and general command of the language, always very amusing/humourous/funny and (imo) all with a keen insight into the music and the attitude of what is rock and roll

these allegations you mention i've heard of before - and i recall the jagger riposte to a reporter's question one time along the lines of "don't go quoting your nick kent articles to me..." but i'd be interested and appreciative if you would cite me an example or two of "made up" stuff...

Thanx
08-13-03 09:57 AM
Stonesprofessor Just ordered it...hope the exchange rate is good! LoL
08-13-03 04:55 PM
Maxlugar Macky like Mojo.

Macky love Stones.

MACKY!
08-13-03 04:58 PM
Gazza >but i'd be interested and appreciative if you would cite me an example or two of "made up" stuff...

how about the much repeated story (rehashed by Bockris and others) about Keith punching Ronnie in the face at Wembley in 1982 when Woody messed up the intro to "Shes so cold" ?
Utter fiction.
08-13-03 05:00 PM
Joey " Macky like Mojo.

Macky love Stones.

MACKY! "

Macky ?!?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?!?! Where have you been ? --- Man , one thing is for certain , you were always Minty Fresh and Man could you write a post .

Come to Joey ........................

{{ J }} {{ A }} {{ C }} {{ K }} {{ Y }} !

Jacky !

|
|
|
|
V
08-14-03 02:01 PM
jb I don't believe Charlie ever punched Mick either....utter nonsense.
08-14-03 02:29 PM
Martha
quote:
Mojostones wrote:
Sorry Martha,
Bad news. You'll have to buy it!
Thanks for the compliment. Hope you like this Stones special.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll do just that.

Mojo ROCKS!
08-14-03 02:46 PM
doo doo doo Dude Does this issue include the article "Mick Taylor: Boy, Did I Blow It!"?

08-14-03 03:08 PM
jb Mick Taylor , to use a phrase from law, was 'constructively terminated"...
08-14-03 03:25 PM
Joey " constructively terminated"... "

I agree .......................What that means everyone , is that his employer made working conditions so unbearable that his only recourse was to quit .

It is ruthless , cold-hearted , nasty and a perfect example why you should NEVER sacrifice your life for anyone other than your family .

" I am too old for the draft Ronnie "

JACKY !

08-14-03 03:32 PM
Nellcote JB, if "constructively terminated" means he quit the band, I agree.
Any other reason is fiction
08-14-03 04:19 PM
jb No Nellcote, it is exactly what Joey,Esq defined it above....conditions so unbearable that a reasonable person would leave under like circumstances.
08-14-03 04:39 PM
Joey " Joey,Esq "

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Yes !!!!!

Now THAT has a nice ring to it !!!!!

Time to bring him back .

Jacky !

08-14-03 05:13 PM
Nellcote Quit means quit. He knew what type of situation he was getting into when he joined the band. He enjoyed the fruits of the situation, then suddenly he dreamt he was the second coming of Jimi Hendrix. Remember, at the time, Keith was out of it, by his own description, so certainly he did not edge him out. Why did Jagger meet Woody @ a London Cocktail party in disbelief that Taylor had left?
Classic case of someone thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, nothing more. Please do not give this "five year wonder" any more excuses to descirbe what he did, he quit. Ole whiner Micky T thought he should get co-writing credit, when he did not, he took his bat and ball, when home, we all know the rest of the story (thank you Paul Harvey, Good Day!) This was never in the Stones mo, Mick & Keith got credit, that's all. Who was more creative than Brian Jones, who founded the band, he never was brought into the songwriting circle. Andrew Oldham encouraged Mick & Keith to be songwriters because "they had IT", so Oldham locked them in the room to write. It would appear that the rest of the band understood this, possibly some did not like it, however, the band went on.

JB, you should contact Mick Taylor, if this is such a SOLID case, tell him you will represent him for a % of the winnings in his quest to obtain missed songwriting royalties if you really think he got forced out. How good could it get, you win a solid case against The Stones for your guitar hero being kicked out of The Stones? Who knows, this could get you a private concert with the misdirected Mick T?

08-14-03 05:21 PM
Dandelion* Maxy - are you showing more underthebeltline skin in your new avatar - or was I just so overwhelmed the first time I saw it that I didn't notice...?

about Mick T :

Option 3: Suing your band under "warranty of habitability"
In the 1973 court case Bob Foissy v. Bill Wyman, the Washington Supreme Court ruled that landlords have an obligation to provide a livable band unit. This obligation is called an "implied warranty of habitability".

There is no specific standard of determining when the warranty of habitability has been violated. If your band is partially or totally uninhabitable as a result of unrepaired defects, and psycho bitchy harassment, you may be relieved of the obligation to pay all or part of the rent, or to play on shitty albums.

Using the warranty of habitability, you can sue your bandlord for back rent/pay. A more risky option is to deduct a justifiable portion of your rent and use the warranty of habitability as a defense in legal action your bandlord might take to try to evict you. This is risky because if a judge does not agree that the amount deducted was justified, you could be evicted. But you may want to be, unless they kill you first.

08-14-03 05:24 PM
beer It probably seemed like a good idea to quit the band when he did. GHS and IORR were a definite decline compared to SF and Exile. And Black and Blue was the upcoming album. Taylor probably thought he was getting off of a sinking ship. Of course in the long run it was the wrong decision and Mick T knows that now.
08-14-03 05:29 PM
winter Give me an N - "N!"
Give me an E - "E!"
Give me an L - "L!"
Give me an L - "L!"
Give me a C - "C!"
Give me an O - "O!"
Give me a T - "T!"
Give me an E - "E!"

JB - I don't see how anyone having the privilege of playing with the World's Greatest Rock -N- Roll at the peak of their prime can claim constructive termination, regardless of the circumstances!

Micky T quit, and then apparently went on an eating binge!

He's got a better chance at joining the McDonald's suit than he does recovering any song writing royalties from Mick and Keith.

How many hit songs has he written since he Quit - ZERO!

wintah, esq.
08-14-03 06:07 PM
Gazza >I don't believe Charlie ever punched Mick either....utter nonsense.

that story didnt come from a reporter. it came from Keith Richards. Keith might be prone to a few embellishments once in a while but I doubt he'd make something up that damaging to Mick's reputation.

08-15-03 05:00 AM
Mojostones
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Does this issue include the article "Mick Taylor: Boy, Did I Blow It!"?

Sort of, yes.

08-15-03 06:27 AM
caro About Nick Kent..

He wrote a review of the Paris-Olympia show in the new issue of Rock&Folk. It don’t know what to think of it, since (as far as I remember) most people here said it was a ‘Keith’s night’
Here are a few quotes (sorry for the rough translation!)

“It was also a pleasure (and quite new) to see Ronnie sober as well as awake, once more in a great condition, playing his instrument with inspiration and fire. (...) Sadly you couldn’t say the same of Keith, who seemed lost during the whole concert, as if he hadn’t had a good sleep for much too long. His guitar playing seemed strangely out of it on Hand of fate, and he managed to stay behind the amps chatting with his costumer during the intro of Love Train. At the end of the gig, it was obvious that he could hardly stand upright”
At least, he makes an exception for That’s how strong my love is : "Keith himself woke up during that song, and the look of love and sheer admiration he gave to his mate (i.e. Mick) will remain as a wonderful sight for me"

Now, of course everyone has a different take on the concert, but this is exactly the opposite of what every other review I've read said. Makes you wonder...

[Edited by caro]