ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Feyenoord Stadium aka De Kuip August 11, 2003
Sven Hoogerhuis / CyberImage
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forty Licks out again in the Billboard 200 Return to archive
08-07-03 01:46 PM
Soldatti Forty Licks is out of the Billboard 200 again but is expected to re-chart next week.
Check this in Billboard. In the ask part they said how many copies has sold in U.S. (the last question)
http://www.billboard.com/bb/ask/index.jsp
08-07-03 01:57 PM
jb Only 2 million-what a joke....it's astonishing how few copies sold....
08-07-03 04:37 PM
Boomy If I'm not mistaken, I think Cher's greatest hits album has sold just about as much and has been in the charts for a long while.

I may be wrong, but I've seen her album in the charts for a long time now.
08-07-03 05:05 PM
sandrew 2 million is pretty lame. I'm tempted to chalk it up to the fact that everyone already has "Hot Rocks," so why bother with the recent output.

But the more likely explanation is that the record-buying public simply does not care about the Rolling Stones anymore, outside of a core of diehards (like me) who will buy anything they put out, even though buying "Forty Licks" is an exercise in redundancy.
08-08-03 10:02 AM
egon don't forget that recors sales have dropped a lot the last few years .

a new cd just doesn't sell as many copies anymore as it used to.

that's why record companies turn to dvds, they sell a lot more of those!
[Edited by egon]
08-08-03 11:09 AM
sandrew Good point, Egon. I remember, after the Led Zeppelin freshet was released, record execs were saying DVDs could help rescue the industry ...
08-08-03 11:42 AM
jb This is a huge disappointment by anyone's standards...this was promoted heavily on T.V and the tour, and while others will say it's quadruple platinum, we all know that's bullshit as it simply doubles the only 2 million people who purchased 40 Licks...only 2 million!!!!!!!!!
08-15-03 10:40 AM
honkytonkjoe Also, keep in mind that that it was a double cd - if billboard is stating 2 million in america, than it really only means 1 million units sold since double cds are considered 2 units each. quote]
08-15-03 01:24 PM
Soldatti The album has sold 2.010.000 copies in the States.
The album was certified 4x Platinum because RIAA takes the album as double by excess of 100 minutes.
08-15-03 01:34 PM
jb very poor outing to say the least.....