ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Warming up gig for the Voodoo Lounge Tour - RPM Club Toronto July 19, 1994
Backstage with Jeff Healey who was a guest on "I Can’t Get Next To You"
Marko Shark
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: club show Return to archive
08-13-02 02:18 PM
SERGEI There will be a club show in Toronto on friday, will post venue when I have it.
08-13-02 02:20 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Oh, no way! No WAY!

YESSSSS!

Who do you have it from, Sergei?

And who's up there with recording equipment! You are called in to support your out-of-town Stoners!

-tSYX --- She's my little rock an' roll!
08-13-02 02:23 PM
Moonisup Lucky people in Toronto.have fun!!

08-13-02 02:41 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 post the setlist as soon as possible after the show.
08-14-02 03:53 PM
Stonesdoug There is no club show this Friday--well at least that the Stones are doing.
08-14-02 04:04 PM
jb Thanks Serge for your misinformation!
08-14-02 04:39 PM
Joey "Thanks Serge for your misinformation! "

Josh .............

I just shook so much from laughter at reading what you had written up above that you would have thought Katherine Hepburn and Mohammad Ali were shaking hands over here .

Peace My Brother......

Jo Jo

08-14-02 04:40 PM
Nellcote Sir Morgan's Cove in Woosta, MA was rather abrupt in it's announcement, As was Toad's Place. Let's see what happens
before we pass judgement on anything which is speculated.
08-15-02 04:00 AM
SERGEI A member of my family works on the tour and there is definetley a club show this friday, trust me. In other news the backstage bar is going to be called the shebeen.
08-15-02 07:59 AM
Stonesdoug SergeiI did hear from someone else late last night that something is going on Friday night so I'm sorry for my misinformation.
08-15-02 08:42 AM
winter SERGEI - you the man. Hopefully you won't let some of the earlier posts discourage you from posting any info that you may have in the future(whether it turns out to be accurate or not). I'd rather take the risk of being misinformed (as long as it is not intentional) than not informed at all.

Stonedoug, I mean no disrespect to you, as I know you that you are an amazing source of news regarding the Stones.

Any info on a surprise gig in Beantown/MV would be greatly appreciated, if and when it happens.

Thanks,

Winter

08-15-02 10:01 AM
Maxlugar Oh man this is exciting!!!

Get your tape recorders out for this one.

08-15-02 10:08 AM
T&A I think if you check out last night's rehearsal - you are starting to get a pretty good idea of what's in store for Friday night....and it looks like one helluva show!
08-15-02 03:06 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 But will the Stone use bill themselves as The Rolling Stones on this club show? It is known that during club shows that they use an alias. Will they use an alias?
08-15-02 04:10 PM
Tom Sergei rules!
08-15-02 05:39 PM
TwelveX5 Hey Sergei,Do you think you could sneak a few of us to the
shebeen on 9-3 at The Fleet Ctr? Nice tip,I'll be on my way in the a.m.Thanks Sergei.
08-15-02 05:56 PM
mattb Several shows have been cancelled in the past due to too much advance publicity. They are usually done in a manner so nobody knows they happened until they are over.
08-15-02 06:43 PM
Gazza Can I be the first person on the 2002 tour to say

"Tree this fuckin show,someone!"
08-15-02 07:16 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Can I be the first person on the 2002 tour to say

"Tree this fuckin show,someone!"

For god's sake..I second that motion!
08-16-02 08:02 AM
Nellcote Hey JB,

Palais Royale in Toronto.

As of this posting, here are the facts:

CILQ FM Toronto streaming live, with the annoucement that
the Stones are playing there for $5. per ticket tonight

Stones taking the stage at 2200

1000 people lined up already

Stonesdoug spotted in CTV

Are you going to Toronto?

Just checking......

08-16-02 08:10 AM
Patrick DeLassus Gazza and Martha,

I'll third the motion, we need the boot.

Pat
08-16-02 08:39 AM
Maxlugar 1000 people lined up already?

That's great!

The best part about the small club shows is the hysteria it causes.

The Stones know this.

This will be hot!

It's their best show in years and we haven't even heard it yet!

If anyone find pics of this on the web let us know.

Maxy (Mr. Toronto)
08-16-02 08:41 AM
Nellcote Listening to q107 online, the line is now greater than 1000, wristbands are being given out.

Great article on Toronto Star online about the venue, has great history.

Went to the El Mocambo for a drink in '78, before Buffalo Some Girls show, great bar. Sad to hear it's in disrepair.

18 days till the FLEET!
08-16-02 09:57 AM
moy this is the article

Friday, August 16, 2002
Stones throw bash tonight?
Rumours fly over surprise lakefront gig

By Staff

Indications early this morning were that the Rolling Stones are playing a surprise club gig tonight at the Palais Royale.

Rumours circulated like wildfire in Toronto's music circles late yesterday that the world's greatest rock band would be performing tonight at the recently refurbished dance hall on Lake Shore Blvd. W.

But no one from the Stones' record company (Virgin Music Canada), nor the promoter of the band's two fall concerts in Toronto (Clear Channel Entertainment), nor the band's personal publicists in New York City would confirm the rumours.

There are no concerts scheduled either tonight or tomorrow night at Palais Royale -- which has a capacity of approximately 1,200. But for a dark weekend, there was plenty of activity there last night.

'UNKNOWN BAND'

Most telling, just after midnight, a man stationed outside the venue announced to a group of more than a dozen people -- who'd obviously heard the rumours and rushed down -- the following: "For anyone who might be standing in line waiting for some unknown reason, for some unknown band, this is the way it's working: If you purchase a ticket, you get a wristband, and you can't transfer that wristband to anybody else."

Earlier in the evening, around 8 p.m., a Ryder rental truck was spotted outside the Palais Royale. Musical equipment had just been unloaded.

By 11:30 p.m., barricades had been set up around the entire perimeter of the lakefront hall -- even blocking off the lakeside bicycle path -- and other barricades were set up in such a way as to accommodate a long line of fans.

By 1 a.m., about 30 people had gathered in line, including some industry people.

The hottest rumour -- completely unsubstantiated -- was that only 300 tickets will go on sale to the public today at $10 apiece, while the remaining tickets are reserved for invited guests.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and their entourages arrived in Toronto late last month to begin rehearsals for their coming fall tour of North America, which begins Sept. 3 in Boston. They'll play two shows in Toronto -- Oct. 16 at the Air Canada Centre, and Oct. 18 at the SkyDome. On Wednesday, the Stones announced they are naming this the "Licks" tour.

The Stones have played surprise club gigs in Toronto before, near the conclusion of pre-tour rehearsals.

Most recently, they played at the Horseshoe in 1997. They recorded their legendary 1977 gigs at the El Mocambo club, and a few songs were included on their Love You Live album.

Stones throw bash tonight?
Indications early this morning were that the Rolling Stones are playing a surprise club gig tonight at the Palais Royale.

Rumours circulated like wildfire in Toronto's music circles late yesterday that the world's greatest rock band would be performing tonight at the recently refurbished dance hall on Lake Shore Blvd. W.
08-16-02 10:20 AM
T&A report from Shidobee:

Stonesdoug, Toronto Tom, Ken and their pals have wristbands and are all set for tonight.
08-16-02 10:31 AM
moy another article

Stones to play surprise show
Palais Royale said to be site for pre-tour concert tonight
By Katherine Harding
STAFF REPORTER

The Rolling Stones will surprise their Toronto fans today with a secret show on one of the most solemn dates in rock n' roll history — Elvis' death 25 years ago.

Sources told The Star that Mick Jagger and his bandmates would definitely be headlining an unscheduled show at Palais Royale on Lake Shore Blvd. W. tonight.

The Stones' management would not confirm the gig.

"They are going to take the stage at 10 p.m.," said a Palais Royale representative yesterday. Built in 1922, the historic dance hall hosted famous bandleaders, including Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey, over the years.

The wrinkly Brit rock group is in Toronto rehearsing for the LICKS tour, which begins Sept. 3 in Boston. They will make stops at the Air Canada Centre Oct. 16 and the SkyDome Oct. 18 to promote their new album Forty Licks, a two-CD career retrospective.

The Palais Royale representative said the surprise gig would be officially announced today, starting at 6 a.m. on local radio stations, including Q107.

He added that only 1,000 tickets would be sold, for $5 apiece. He wasn't sure how fans will be able to snag one of the precious tickets.

This isn't the first time the legendary 40-year-old rock group has treated Toronto fans to a secret show. It's actually starting to become a tradition. They played at the El Mocambo in 1977 and the RPM club in 1994.

Five years ago, the group trotted out old hits including "Honky Tonk Woman," "Under My Thumb" and "19th Nervous Breakdown," now rarely heard in concert, to an intimate audience at the Horseshoe Tavern on Queen St. W.

Since the Stones pulled into town recently, rumours have run rampant about where and when a show might be held. Rumours are also circulating that Revival, on College St., will play host to another Stones show tomorrow night for industry insiders. The club is denying the gossip, and said its popular "Mod Night" is still sche- duled.
08-16-02 10:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I want to thank Sergei for giving the news here, pretty cool... keep them going.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road