ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Warming up gig for the Voodoo Lounge Tour - RPM Club Toronto July 19, 1994
Backstage with Jeff Healey who was a guest on "I Can’t Get Next To You"
Marko Shark
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones in the media Return to archive
08-13-02 12:00 AM
Boomhauer OK, I just heard that Springsteen is going to do Saturday Night Live. This guy is everywhere. Magazines, TV, internet, you name it.

The Stones did a big thing on May 7 with the Blimp, but there was a three month period where they weren't heard from. Now, with the announcement of Forty Licks, the shit has just hit the fan. I think we are gonna hear about these guys a lot. Granted, I don't think they are gonna be at the MTV awards on August 29th, because there are enough acts that are going to perform on the show. SNL will definitely happen.

I think they will be on the cover of a magazine, but I'm not sure which one, probably Billboard or Rolling Stone (or maybe Time or People).

They will probably be all over the radio.

SO, IMO, the Stones will not be on TV much (except for a PPV), they will be in printed media, and the radio will be talking a lot about them. Oh yeah, hopefully their new website will be cool.

What does everybody else think?
08-13-02 12:01 AM
Boomhauer Sorry, meant to say that Saturday Night Live will definitely NOT happen.
08-13-02 12:42 AM
Prodigal Son Oh, I wish they would get on SNL. Heard some Bruce songs from the album. I find it crappy, a real sign of Bruce being washed up. "My City's in Ruins" is good, however the rest is inconsistent and the title track isn't that good.
08-13-02 02:37 AM
gypsy I totally agree...I wish the Stones could get more positive press right now. But, I think the only reason Springsteen is the focus of the media is because of 9/11, and the public tends to view Bruce as a sort of all-American hero.
08-13-02 01:19 PM
jb Springsteen and the awful Macca used 9/11 in a most disrepectful way. Yet, the media , as usual, fawns over these performers like babies sucking a bottle. The Stones, however, are all but ignored on this historical 40th anniversary tour.It's the old saying, you take things for granted until you do not have them anymore. Lets be honest, this is sadly probably going to be the last big tour of unquestionably the greatest pure rock-n-roll band(yes-the hideous Beatles are considered the greatest pop band by many losers)of all time. No one has done it longer, better, or more profitable than the Stones. They have disregarded the hate, animosity, negative press, and fickle"what have you done for me lately" fans, to enter their 4th decade of unparalleled success. The true Stones fan, like me, and a few on this board, "get it". The so-called fans who also love the Beatles simply do not understand why real Stone fans , at a minimum, do not care for the Beatles. Don't be offended if you are a fan of both groups;just realize that you cannot really be considered a true fan and you would be better posting on "classic rock" or Beatle site....atleast then you can share your love for the Stones with other Beatle fans and I am sure they will be very happy to hear what you have to say....
08-13-02 01:35 PM
patioaintdry steady there, jb. i agree with most of your observations but we don't want to digress into the personal insult world. all of us children should play nice in the sandbox.
08-13-02 01:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
The so-called fans who also love the Beatles simply do not understand why real Stone fans , at a minimum, do not care for the Beatles. Don't be offended if you are a fan of both groups;just realize that you cannot really be considered a true fan and you would be better posting on "classic rock" or Beatle site....atleast then you can share your love for the Stones with other Beatle fans and I am sure they will be very happy to hear what you have to say....

jb, you make one more post like this and I will delever an e-smack up to you.

No, seriously, I'm sick and *fucking tired* of reading this.

I love the Stones. Loooooooooove the Stones. But I love the Beatles too. If you're telling me to go to another board because of it - fuck off! Maybe you should find another board - the "Stones fans who can't accept any other music" board. I'm very tolerant of other music - I don't particularly care for rap or heavy death metal, in fact, I rather hate it, but I have friends who love it - am I to tell them "get out of my social circle"?

So cool off. You're just trolling. And when the trolls come, they gonna hit you.

-tSYX --- Dont looka me, man, I've only had ten children!
08-13-02 01:41 PM
jb I have tried my best to be polite and refrain from personal attacks;however, this Beatle shit has got to stop...why do so called Stones fans have to constantly post how great the Beatles are? This is a Stones board...while we have to accept being second to the Bastards in the general public, we can atleast expect on a Stones site 100% loyalty to our
favorite band!
08-13-02 01:53 PM
patioaintdry indeed, you've done very well restraining yourself. We don't need 100% loyalty, I think it's important for people to remain objective about the Stones and anybody else -- we would have missed some great past posts on the merits of Dirty Work and Emotional Rescue and the latest solo attempt from Mick if 100% loyalty was enforced. Don't forget even the Oppengrubenfuher (sp?) Keith mellowed and blessed us with 3 great releases plus the CD single of him doing Gimme Shelter.
08-13-02 01:57 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
patioaintdry wrote:
...plus the CD single of him doing Gimme Shelter.

Hrm? When was this?

-tSYX --- I see a red door and... aww... skip it! Brian... wha... whachoo doing?
08-13-02 01:58 PM
sandrew Honestly, I think there will be plenty of positive media once the tour starts rolling. There's the usual crop of naysayers who yammer on - until the first night. That's when all doubt vanishes. I think it was smart of the Stones to lie low the past three months. There was no point in saturating the media when nothing much was happening.
08-13-02 02:06 PM
jb What is a troll? I have not hid my dislike for the Beatles..I have been posting my feelings here and elsewhere for over 5 yrs...I did not "flame" anybody...In fact, I am the recipient of constant insults by those who prefer the Fab Four...
08-13-02 02:10 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
What is a troll? I have not hid my dislike for the Beatles..I have been posting my feelings here and elsewhere for over 5 yrs...I did not "flame" anybody...

Look, jb, man, maybe you don't take it that way, but being told "You're not a real fan if you like 'x' band" is a pretty big insult to me - I love the Stones. Love them. I bet you'd find a few on this board who have the same views - and even those people who hate the Beatles don't mind that other people like them! I keep quiet about it most of the time - I occasionally draw references to McCartney and the others, but I don't make them the subjects of posts! It's a Stones board, I keep on the topic of the Stones.

Gahhh....

-tSYX --- Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak...
08-13-02 02:12 PM
patioaintdry YoungXyzzy-Gimme Shelter was part of a 4 or 5 song CD released in '93. Somebody correct me, but I think it was:

1. Eileen
2. Gimme Shelter (Live)
3. Wicked As it Seems (Live)
4. How I Wish (Live)
5. Key to the Highway (from the Johnnie Johnson solo LP.)

08-13-02 03:02 PM
Gazza >Springsteen and the awful Macca used 9/11 in a most disrepectful way. Yet, the media , as usual, fawns over these performers like babies sucking a bottle. The Stones, however, are all but ignored on this historical 40th anniversary tour.

Absolute bollocks. Youve forgotten one major detail in this. The Stones HAVENT released anything yet and they HAVENT gone on tour yet. Both of the above acts HAVE done both. What are the media SUPPOSED to write about when it comes to the Stones between the date of the press conference and September 3rd? That theyve rehearsed "King Bee" in a private session in Toronto that no-one can see or hear? Earth shattering news,hold the front page. Its nice for us to know whats going on,but why SHOULD anyone else care? Theres more important things in the world and indeed in showbusiness to report

The reason the Stones tour has received minimal press coverage is because as of today - there ISNT one. Dry your eyes - there'll be blanket coverage in every city from the start of September and in news reports worldwide, not to mention a lot of magazine articles etc when the album comes out. Until then,what do you expect...a big clock on Times Square counting down the seconds until September 3rd?

If theyre being "ignored" its because theyve done nothing public since May 7th to warrant any coverage. The Stones tour is a nothing story in media terms until they actually hit the stage in Boston. They havent exactly helped matters themselves by not knowing or keeping the public informed of any details about their new release until yesterday.
08-13-02 03:07 PM
patioaintdry note to self: don't anger Gazza.
08-13-02 03:21 PM
jb I like Gazza b/c despite his loathing me, he obviously loves the Stones or he would'nt waste his time with Jaxx and Geraldo maintaining this site. It's easier taking critisism from someone who atleast share your passion for the Stones, rather than so-called Stone fans who deep, down inside, really like the Beatles more...and yes, I am beyond help as far as that issue is concerned...
08-13-02 03:50 PM
Gazza Actually,I dont loathe you or anyone who posts here,Josh..(and Im not angry either!).. although you do talk balls sometimes (as I'm sure many people think I do too,which is fair enough..)...but I respect anyone's passion for their favourite band,regardless of what angle it comes from....so I dont have a problem with that

A bit of heated debate never did anyone any harm. It'd be boring if we all agreed on everything!
08-13-02 07:21 PM
T&A Josh:

You need to get over it. You're entitled to your opinion. You don't like the Beatles. Fine. You're on record. I'm as big a Stone fan as there is (not bigger, but just as big as anybody) - my fanaticism is not compromised one iota by the fact that I also love the Beatles. I love Macca. I love Ringo. John and George were great, too. I miss them.

Just get off your high horse and quit trying to tell everybody what a Stones fans is or isn't.

Tod

08-13-02 10:13 PM
Boomhauer Well, I personally don't like the Beatles at all, but I like John Lennon and George Harrison. But, but, but....I really don't argue with people about it and it really should not be a big issue at all. Either you like them or you don't.You shouldn't get pissy and whine like a 7 year old kid who wants to buy a toy. And I don't put people down for what kind of music they like (unless it is just complete utter garbage!).
08-14-02 06:14 AM
egon
quote:
patioaintdry wrote:
YoungXyzzy-Gimme Shelter was part of a 4 or 5 song CD released in '93. Somebody correct me, but I think it was:

1. Eileen
2. Gimme Shelter (Live)
3. Wicked As it Seems (Live)
4. How I Wish (Live)
5. Key to the Highway (from the Johnnie Johnson solo LP.)

that's correct. great single!
08-14-02 06:37 AM
F505 Seems to me this JB figure is a litte bit obsessed when talking about the Beatles. In every post he tells everybody how much he hates them. Fine with you JB but it's getting very boring. You just don't respect people who love other bands besides the Stones. Everbody is entitled to have his opinion even if it doesn't suit you. Which country you are from anyway? The country that propagates free speech?

I liked you more when you played good slide blues. What has happened to the Nighthawks anyway?
08-14-02 08:26 AM
mattb Think we will see Mick and Keith on Larry King Live?
08-14-02 10:23 AM
T&A Nighthawks are still around, but nothing like the band they were before Thackery left. Go see Jimmy Thackery when he's in town - he's still one of the all-time greats.
08-14-02 08:40 PM
Prodigal Son I agree the constant Beatles talks are tedious, but Josh! Since when was someone not a REAL fan of the Stones if they like the Beatles but the Stones a lot more. Does this apply to other groups YOU hate. Let's say you hate Led Zeppelin. I love them. Not like the Stones at all, but I do. Does this make me not a true Stones fan or just a casual fan? Maybe I'm just generally a rock fan. No, it shouldn't. If the Stones are my faves, if I get their bootlegs, but like the Beatles I guess I just don't belong. Don't be fucking silly. Anyway, all this bitching is redundant. Advice to all: No more Beatles-Stones talk or we'll all get crazy, Josh will rant and others will do the same. Like I just did, I realize, but nonetheless. End of story.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
08-15-02 04:02 AM
Cant Catch Me Hell, ya' can't just arbitrarily tell people to drop a discussion. This one happens to get people all riled up.

Me, I love the Stones, don't care much for the Beatles. Others may love the Beatles, fine, and maybe even dig the Stones too.

But, in my opinion, Beatles idolatry dilutes the seriousness of a person's love of good old primal rock n' roll. The Beatles were a pop group, period. (Notice, I won't even call them a pop "band" since they couldn't even hack more than a half dozen years together, and wouldn't perform live for part of that time.) So, if you're a pop fan, be my guest and idolize the Beatles. But realize that for the most part the Beatles' music is lightweight fluff and too much fluff hurts your ability to be a credible rock n' roller.
08-15-02 06:38 PM
Gazza >But, in my opinion, Beatles idolatry dilutes the seriousness of a person's love of good old primal rock n' roll. The Beatles were a pop group, period. (Notice, I won't even call them a pop "band" since they couldn't even hack more than a half dozen years together, and wouldn't perform live for part of that time.) So, if you're a pop fan, be my guest and idolize the Beatles. But realize that for the most part the Beatles' music is lightweight fluff and too much fluff hurts your ability to be a credible rock n' roller.

Some would argue so does too much money.

How does liking a "pop" group dilute your affection for other music which isnt a kick in the arse away from it musically? Why do people get hang ups about "genres" of music? Most people can deal with different styles.

Theres only two types of music anyway - good and bad...and of course what category any artist or song falls into is entirely subjective ..so your opinion on them is NEVER wrong!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road