ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Edgar Winter (nsc) Return to archive
August 11th, 2004 09:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Fest has appreciative headliner

By Diane Wright
Times Snohomish County bureau

Edgar Winter has heard a little about where his band will play Saturday.

"We'll definitely be interested in the cuisine," he said of A Taste of Edmonds. "I used to win eating contests when I was young. I was 126 pounds until I was nearly 40."

The musician from Beaumont, Texas, grew up with ribs and Cajun cooking as staples. But he's also a rock 'n' roll legend who has performed everywhere from Woodstock to London's Royal Albert Hall.

Winter will perform from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday at A Taste of Edmonds, a three-day food, arts and music festival that draws between 75,000 and 100,000 people to downtown. The festival, run by the Greater Edmonds Chamber of Commerce, accounts for about 60 percent of the chamber's budget and supports nonprofit groups and civic projects.

Beginning Friday, about 35 food vendors will take over the Civic Center Playfield, and about 70 arts and craft booths will spread out along Sixth Avenue North. A children's play area and four entertainment stages are part of the festival as well.

On Saturday, Winter will go back as far as his 1970 debut recording, "Entrance," blending jazz, blues, classical and rock. But he and his group also will revisit songs such as "Tobacco Road," one of his first hits with brother Johnny Winter, and such top-40 hits as "Frankenstein" and "Keep Playing That Rock 'n' Roll."

A Taste of Edmonds

The 22nd annual festival will take place from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday at the Civic Center Playfield, between Sixth and Seventh avenues north and Bell and Daley streets. Admission is $2; children under 11 will be admitted free. Free shuttles will run every 15 minutes from Edmonds-Woodway High School, 212th Street Southwest and 76th Avenue West. Information: www.edmondswa.com/Events/Taste or 425-776-6711.

Edgar Winter headlines the entertainment, performing at 8:30 p.m. Saturday on the Main Stage.

Winter frequently dips into blues and jazz, and you're sure to hear cuts from his newest CD, "Jazzin' the Blues," out this month.

The era in which he became most famous and widely known really began with Woodstock, he said. That seminal rock festival changed his life and his music.

"When I did Woodstock, it was against the social backdrop of civil rights and the peace movement. And it made me realize music could be a positive force, where before, I just loved the harmony and rhythm," Winter said. "I never really thought of it in terms of reaching out to people."

Winter said he feels as excited about music now as when he first started.

People still come to hear songs such as "Frankenstein," which ironically, was named by his drummer in the studio, after some cut-and-splice sessions with the tape technology of the time. Winter said he always felt like the mad doctor with that song, tinkering and experimenting.

"I'm variously acclaimed and accused of ushering that era of the synthesizer and the cutting edge of technology that put musicians out of work," he said.

"Dying to Live," which he wrote shortly after Woodstock, was a personal statement about the Vietnam War.

"Eminem put a different spin on my song, on gang violence rather than war," Winter said. The song was included in the film biography "Tupac: Resurrection."

After he wrote it, Winter said, a man facing multiple surgeries contacted him to say the song had given him the will to go on and have the operations he needed.

"And to me, that means more than any award that you could receive," Winter said. "The knowledge you could write something that could change their life. That's a big part of what music can do and should do."
August 12th, 2004 02:43 PM
2120SMA If Johnny was playing with him I'd go. I pass the Civic Center Playfield on my way to work.
August 12th, 2004 03:04 PM
Factory Girl I saw Edgar on my b-day, a few years back. His playing is too "out there" for me. He did a 20 minute of Frankenstein.

I am more of a Johnny Winter fan. Anyone here has his latest "I'm a Bluesman' cd???
August 12th, 2004 10:36 PM
Martha "And to me, that means more than any award that you could receive," Winter said. "The knowledge you could write something that could change their life. That's a big part of what music can do and should do."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a beautiful statement. Thanks for posting the article.
:-)

We caught Edgar in a club several years ago and he was great. He is a talented person, although nothing like his brother Johnny. I try not to compare people, but when you're brothers, comparisons are inevitable.

Edgar's still got a great singing voice. I'd go.
August 13th, 2004 12:27 AM
sammy davis jr. I'm amazed Edgar is still with us really- I met him at a gig in 1984 and he could barely make it to and from the stage. Maybe had to do with the his sight, but he looked do frail. He's a nice bloke though, and a great musician.