ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Going, Going, Gone Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 10th, 2004 02:17 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Until the news of something bigger and better than a tired live album comes around, I don't think I'm going to post on this board or check it too much. It just makes me angry, and that's no good. I like funny people. I don't like stupid people. And I'm tired of stupid old people in every facet of my life. Not that everyone older than me is stupid or whatever because that's a dumb, brash, (dare I say it?) stupid thing to think, and also the sign of an insecure mind. I just think the complacency and, consequentially, idiocy levels have gone way up. The Unholy Trinity has always been and will always be some of the coolest Stones fans around, I will never forget some of the best moments on this board, like waiting for the blimp, talking about the Boston show, discovering Tom Waits and Warren Zevon and The Faces here, coming in 3rd in the trivia... those were some good times, those were.

Now, it seems, and I guess this is always true, there's a lull, and into that lull has seeped some good stuff, but also some stupid stuff. I don't expect people here to talk about the Stones 24/7. One of the reasons why I love this board so much is the fact that people *don't* discuss the Stones 24/7, and branch off into other artists, or hold spirited political debates, or are just very very cool and talk about pissing in Mick Jagger's koi pond. But a lot of the sensible posters have scaled back. I hardly ever see notes from Sir Stonesalot or Cardinal Fang or FPM or that crowd of no-bullshit guys and girls. There're plenty of cool people still here, but sense likes to take a backseat when the band we love is resting on its laurels. I'm pissed off that the Stones just seem content to milk their fans for all they're worth after making us spend $150 for what were basically nosebleed seats ($350 if you wanted to get near them), but hey, supply and demand... problem is, The Stones don't supply anymore, and they're out of excuses. Being old doesn't mean shit. They should be playing at the same caliber as Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney or whoever you want to compare them to and they're not, and that's that. You can blame Keith, you can blame Ronnie, you can blame Michael Cohl, you can blame Chuck, you can blame the backup singers, you can blame Brian Jones for dying but they're just content to phone it in now. Which doesn't make any sense to me but whatever. Some nights they work hard but they don't seem committed to working at that level, or taking serious risks like they used to. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was great, then it vanished as they got bored. Fine. I understand. They're making enough per show that if some are terrible and one or two are fantastic it all evens out, right?

I just don't understand. After seeing Bob Dylan last night in Brockton and watching him and his band pour out their dance-hall guts, I can't see why the Stones don't do the same. They are more than capable of competing with Jet or The White Stripes or The Hives or any of their young followers but they choose not to. Why? Are they really washed up? I don't believe it. I thinkn they're content to be mediocre because they still get paid millions. And that contentment to be mediocre has spread to this board, too, in the form of stupid posts and mindless replies, thread hijackings and cruelty to new people who are genuinely interested in the Rolling Stones. I flinch these days when I see some bright-eyed bushy-tailed youngster like me walk in all ready to talk about the Stones only to be slapped with some mindless drivel that doesn't concern them at all. If you wonder why the Stones aren't appealing to the young audience, maybe the fanbase isn't exactly encouraging them to drop by. It's not just here - I see the same thing with a lot of Dylan's fans, with McCartney's fans, with whoever - but here, the first real fan community I ever joined, it hurts particularly badly.

So I'm going on a break. (If I get a particular reply to this post I might post one more time, but whatever. That's splitting hairs.) In twenty days I leave for college. By then I hope to have a demo tape of my album done, and from there, who knows? I'll keep in touch and we'll see what goes on. I hope that somehow the Stones and this board both will find some sort of revitalization. In the meantime, strive to keep interested, strive to keep your eyes open, strive to chafe at boundaries and question, and keep on rockin'. Young folks, question everything everyone puts before you. Old folks, do the same, and listen to young folks once in awhile. See you when something happens.
August 10th, 2004 02:52 AM
stonedinaustralia tSYX

I feel your pain

Things have certainly hit some type of nadir lately - this has been the most unispiring time for the band (and by extension the board) since i first started posting

like you, my posts have been thin on the ground lately but i still drop by pretty much every day in the hope that even if there is no stones news of any substance some topic of conversation might inspire me to make a comment or at least capture my attention and aside from sending birthday greetings to joey and beer there hasn't been much lately - except perhaps some brief talk with nasty habits about gus cannon and the memphis jug band and mac-d's offer of some mickboy remasters

so,mate, all i'll say is keep in touch - it doesn't take a great deal of effort to check in and nothing stays the same forever so hopefully there will be some worthy of your opinion and comment in the near future

goodbye is too hard a word - so i'll just say "fare thee well"

btw/ good luck in college and at least keep us posted if your band starts shaking some action...
August 10th, 2004 03:56 AM
gotdablouse Good luck to the man who witnessed the "Birth of a Guitar God" (i.e Ronnie Wood ?!) at MSG in 2002...from that moment on, I knew you were someone special ;-)

You're right though, the Stones have no shame these days and they might as well be dead, at least that would justify the lack of new material.
August 10th, 2004 04:09 AM
Nellcote To quote one Ron Wood:
"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger"
TSXY, life is too short not to enjoy it all.
Remember, I was partially responsible for your Faces induction...
Once a Rocks Off member, alwasy a Rocks Off member..
Don't pull a Wyman on us..
Rock On, stick around mate!
[Edited by Nellcote]
August 10th, 2004 04:23 AM
F505 I just don't understand all these disappointed posts. Why blame the Stones? These guys have given us the best music that's ever been made. If they don't want to make new albums I can't blame them. Nobody can. They owe us nothing.
You can't demand a creative outburst from artists who have lost their inspiration or interest or whatever the reason may be.
And in my opinion there is no sense comparing them with Dylan. His approach to music is totally different. Unfortunately the Stones have grown so big that producing new music is no longer an essential drive for them. In a sense we, their fans, have contributed to their rise. You have to accept this and don't expect new great albums. Come on! They've made hundreds of classic songs you can play every minute of the day. So let's be grateful in stead of grumble and nag.

[Edited by F505]
August 10th, 2004 11:07 AM
glencar Izzy, I was on vacation. I'm back now. Things will get better. Good luck in school & hope to see you back.
August 10th, 2004 11:18 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Izzy, I was on vacation. I'm back now. Things will get better. Good luck in school & hope to see you back.

I see a man without a problem ....................
August 10th, 2004 11:37 AM
glencar Is this thread in reference to Steelie? Are there any threads that aren't?
August 10th, 2004 11:38 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is this thread in reference to Steelie? Are there any threads that aren't?

The Genesis of EVERYTHING is my Baby Steelie !
August 10th, 2004 11:39 AM
glencar He's the best. At least some can recognize that quality in fellow posters.
August 10th, 2004 11:54 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
He's the best. At least some can recognize that quality in fellow posters.

Amen my Stonesian Brother .....................I see the good in everyone ...............and leave the bad.
August 10th, 2004 11:55 AM
glencar Some people put the bad way up front & make it impossible to converse with them. Dirty fuckers.
August 10th, 2004 11:57 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Some people put the bad way up front & make it impossible to converse with them. Dirty fuckers.

Dirty Work was a crap album .
August 10th, 2004 11:59 AM
glencar It was half crappy, half genuis. Always look on the bright side, Luke.
August 10th, 2004 12:01 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
It was half crappy, half genuis. Always look on the bright side, Luke.

August 10th, 2004 12:15 PM
justinkurian I like the Dylan reference in the title.
August 10th, 2004 01:12 PM
Some Guy Sadness.
August 10th, 2004 02:47 PM
JaggaRichards Well.....the Stones have been coasting lately.....
August 10th, 2004 02:58 PM
gypsy You will be missed. You are such a smart young man...I hate to see you leave. Pop in every now and then when you get the chance.
August 10th, 2004 03:05 PM
F505 hi joey....... that you must hijack exactly this thread of all threads!
August 10th, 2004 03:08 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
hi joey....... that you must hijack exactly this thread of all threads!

***** BLANK STARE ******

August 10th, 2004 03:09 PM
justforyou Well young savage one (though you seemed quite the opposite), didn't you abandon this ship some while ago anyway ?
Whatever - farewell into the future!
August 10th, 2004 03:11 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
hi joey.......

Hi F505 .....................

Hey , How was THE WHO at the newly revamped Hollywood Bowl last evening ?!?!?!

I bet it was just spectacular , huh ?!?!

August 10th, 2004 03:35 PM
F505 http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0303/goldstein.php
August 10th, 2004 03:44 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Joey wrote:

***** BLANK STARE ******

Hi Joey!

August 10th, 2004 04:00 PM
Joey
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

Hi Joey!

Just one word Lambies :

{{{{{{{{{ UNCAKE }}}}}}}}}}}

Get over here ...........................NOW !!!!!!!!!!
August 10th, 2004 04:15 PM
Moonisup Goodbye baby, so long now. I wish you luck, you gonna need it child!

haha,

bye Xzy!

take care
August 10th, 2004 04:16 PM
Joey
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Goodbye baby, so long now. I wish you luck, you gonna need it child!

haha,

bye Xzy!

take care

That is a very cool shot of you in those sunglasses Dutch Rik !
August 10th, 2004 04:24 PM
Moonisup thank you very much

I put it up for you
August 10th, 2004 04:49 PM
Joey
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
thank you very much

I put it up for you

You are much loved by the Joey !

" Swing to the right
Try to face the fact that I ain't that young no more
Hair's short again and a suit is in,
Better brush up on how to tie a Windsor knot
Swing to the right
Credit's hard to find and a dollar doesn't go so far
What's more important when the count comes in
A sell-out who's alive or a corpse that can't be bought?

Stop the hand of time
Think I see a sign
Tables turning 'round
Hear a different sound
Stop the hands of time
Looking out for mine

Swing to the right
Don't want to hear what the povertous expect from me
Let 'em eat cake if they feel that way
I gotta work why should I have to pay for that?
And I don't want to be left holding the bag for them
'Scuze me for living but I have to say,
I've got some worries of my own, like staying fat

Existing users login to vote
and send us corrections.
New users register......................."

Page: 1 2 3