ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bianca's campaign to get fair trade on next G8 agenda (NSC) Return to archive
August 9th, 2004 07:18 AM
Monkey Woman Hate her or admire her, at least Bianca never sits idle.

The Scotsman

Mon 9 Aug 2004

Jagger bids to get fair trade on Gleneagles agenda

ANDREW DENHOLM

HUMAN rights activist Bianca Jagger is to spearhead a campaign to force the issue of fair trade onto the agenda of next year’s G8 summit in Scotland.

Ms Jagger has agreed to lend her support to a world-wide mobile phone text petition calling for the issue to be discussed at the meeting of world leaders at Gleneagles Hotel in July.

Organisers hope the campaign, run by the fair trade magazine New Consumer, will attract one million text messages of support.

Ms Jagger said: "So many people around the world are living in misery. We need to find a more equitable way of distributing the profits and ending poverty in developing countries.

"Fair trade is one of the only viable solutions, and I would urge people to join the G8 text petition to have their say and get fair trade on the agenda at the next G8 summit."

Mel Young, editor of New Consumer, welcomed Ms Jagger’s involvement and said fair trade could make a genuine difference to those living in poverty.

"World leaders are keen to expand the global economy through increased trade, but poorer countries are continually being dealt a crooked deal," he said.

"Fundamental changes to trade rules are needed for a real change in global poverty.

"This petition is all about encouraging world leaders to embrace fair trade practices."

Although she came to prominence as the wife of Mick Jagger, lead singer with the Rolling Stones, over the past few decades Ms Jagger has become one of the world’s most high-profile human rights campaigners.

She has received numerous awards for her work from a range of human rights organisations, including the American Civil Liberties Union, Amnesty International, the United Nations and the Rainforest Alliance.

In the early 1980s, she went on a fact-finding mission to Colomoncagua, a United Nations refugee camp in Honduras, where she witnessed an armed death squad marching across the border from El Salvador and rounding up some 40 refugees. Her intervention, using just her camera, was praised as helping to prevent a massacre.

Since then she has campaigned against the murder, torture and disappearance of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

She has been to Bosnia to document the mass rape of Bosnian women by Serbian forces as part of their campaign of ethnic cleansing.

She has spoken out against war crimes perpetrated against ethnic Albanians, campaigned for the indictment and arrest of Slobodan Milosevic, travelled to Zambia to highlight the unfolding AIDS tragedy and worked with Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth to speak out against the dangers of global warming.

Later, she became an advocate for gun control and an eloquent opponent of the death penalty in the United States.

She has also campaigned in Pakistan, Afghanistan and the Middle East, as well as India and Brazil.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=911252004
August 9th, 2004 10:53 AM
telecaster When will this broad just go away?

Her 15 minutes were up 25 yrs ago

Maybe she should go on tour with Kid Rock
August 9th, 2004 12:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
telecaster wrote:
When will this broad just go away?

Well it seems that she's just filling a vacuum...just standing up for those who can't speak for themselves in the "seats of power". That should be the churches job but they like the politicians are too busy fund raising for the next crusade or election.
August 9th, 2004 12:39 PM
gypsy Tele, you know a Kid Rock concert just wouldn't be as kick ass with Bianca taking over the now deceased midget's place. I don't know if she can rap like he could...but you never know.
August 9th, 2004 12:45 PM
telecaster
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Tele, you know a Kid Rock concert just wouldn't be as kick ass with Bianca taking over the now deceased midget's place. I don't know if she can rap like he could...but you never know.

gypsy! Hey my little gingersnap, how is the job search

Hope it is going well
August 12th, 2004 06:17 AM
Make It Funky Well to contest Telecaster, I happen to think that Bianca is a hell of alot more USEFUL than her ex-husband. Moreover, I think Mick should take a few lessons from his ex wife, and jump on the band wagon. If Bono can be actively involved globally (ie: Debt, Aids, Trade, Africa) and Chris Martin supporting fair trade...hell, I'll even go as far to mention Oprah Winfrey...Mick needs to re-align his image and become more of a humanitarian, for, he wont be singing forever. (anyone who thinks he will be, is naive).
I applaud all of Bianca Jaggers efforts. She could be Bianca Smith for all I care. I dont even relate her to him. Fortunately for her, she kept his last name. In doing this, she's been able to make a huge difference. And it's not as if she schemed this 30 years ago in some grand master plan. It's just happened.. and for all intents and purposes, she's definetely made a name for herself. (did she not attain a law degree?)

Cheers!