ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie needs help but for God's sake the man isn't on his death bed.......From Ian Return to archive
August 8th, 2004 04:36 AM
IanBillen I just want to say lets not over blow Ronnies current health condition. That is irritating to a star of any sort.
I really think that Ronnie's health is not that bad. If he has shows booked like the Rod Stewart thing he will be Ok. I do realize he must have some problem or problems being as he has been in rehab a few times as of recently but I think the media has enourmously over-blown this. Such as before Licks when he went to rehab it was said he had six months to live if he didn't quit drinking...LOL Come now. How could anybody possibly be in that terrible condition and then go on a yaer and a half world tour a mere 5 months later? Same as now. I do not think they made Ronnie's death bed at the rehab center yet. The guy was playing gigs and doing outings all summer before he went into rehab. It isn't like he was ready to croke for god's sake. I do feel however there are so issues and serious concerns with his addictions and such and by no means am I slighting this. But the guy isn't ready for a coffin of any sort either. I am not saying that this isn't a serious issue for it must be especially if Mick told him to get some help but there is no way that in June he was signing to do a world tour next year with Mick and Keith in Holland then a mere 4 or 6 weeks later his health could of deterioted to the point where it is questionable he will be around in the near future either. Still supporting Ronnie and wishing him stregnth.
Ian
August 8th, 2004 05:40 AM
kahoosier it only takes half of one healthy kidny to function normally.

most heart attacks do not occur until a coronary vessel is blocked 90% or more.

the truth is, there is a very fine line beteeen feeling well and dying, hence the cancer "myth" that it was the "biopsy" that caused the disease to spread.

i practice medicine, i see people every day that go from healthy to dead in frighteningly short amounts of time. if more people lingered, the suffering in my field would be unbearable, but maybe more people would be frightened into taking better care of themselves.

the truth be told, with heavy substance abuse, the line between life and death can be even more finely drawn. look at the dead righteuos brother or john entwhistle, both dead of abuse without a hint of a problem.

August 8th, 2004 07:27 AM
IanBillen
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
it only takes half of one healthy kidny to function normally.

most heart attacks do not occur until a coronary vessel is blocked 90% or more.

the truth is, there is a very fine line beteeen feeling well and dying, hence the cancer "myth" that it was the "biopsy" that caused the disease to spread.

i practice medicine, i see people every day that go from healthy to dead in frighteningly short amounts of time. if more people lingered, the suffering in my field would be unbearable, but maybe more people would be frightened into taking better care of themselves.

the truth be told, with heavy substance abuse, the line between life and death can be even more finely drawn. look at the dead righteuos brother or john entwhistle, both dead of abuse without a hint of a problem.

Thanks for shedding more light to the situation. Can a Doctor generally tell when the fine line is approaching or near? Do you think it is probable that a well practiced, experienced, physician noted that Ronnie was not far off? Or is it really difficult to see that sort of thing?
Ian

August 8th, 2004 10:50 AM
Gazza The impression I get is that Ronnie tends to check into the Priory from time to time for a "top up" to his treatment.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is that certain so-called Stones fans seem to view the guy's problems as an opportunity to drag up the tired old "lets bring back Mick taylor" shit, with no respect or regard to the man's health or welbeing. As if the only thing that matters is that they get another Stones gig to go to.(Regardless of the fact that if the guy WAS ever going to be replaced,ut wouldnt be by Mick Taylor anyway)

Fucking indulgent selfish assholes.
August 8th, 2004 03:08 PM
Martha What is the latest news regarding Ronnie's health then?

Thanks for the insight Kahoosier. Your experience is a good teacher.

Hugs to you Gary.....BTW, Dylan's first two shows were KILLER. I got LOVE SICK last night in New Haven...and Hollis Brown. It was astonishing. Both nights I noted that the crowd was stunned and took a few seconds to respond after some of the most intense songs ie...Cold Irons Bound blew Cooperstown away. :-)

TMR got both shows in the bag. Stay tuned for those.

hehehe

Here's to Ronnie's good health and much more music to come!

peace out,
Martha

August 8th, 2004 03:14 PM
BILL PERKS [quote]Gazza wrote:
The impression I get is that Ronnie tends to check into the Priory from time to time for a "top up" to his treatment.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is that certain so-called Stones fans seem to view the guy's problems as an opportunity to drag up the tired old "lets bring back Mick taylor" shit, with no respect or regard to the man's health or welbeing. As if the only thing that matters is that they get another Stones gig to go to.(Regardless of the fact that if the guy WAS ever going to be replaced,ut wouldnt be by Mick Taylor anyway)

Fucking indulgent selfish assholes.
AMEN GAZZA-TAYLOR WOULD SHIT HIMSELF WITH FRIGHT ON A STONES STAGE.WOODYS GOIN NOWHERE, SO GET USE TO IT OR GO POST ON A WHO BOARD.
August 8th, 2004 03:24 PM
wgwalsh Ron's real problem will be the psychological addiction.
August 8th, 2004 05:00 PM
kahoosier thanks gazza for saying that...i agree that it bothers me when reality is ignored by the taylorites.

as for can a doctor guess, yes, a good clinician can often tell you fairly accuratey how long life will continue in a sick person, what can be done to prolong life if that is the course desired, and if prolonged, what will the quality of life be. Now that does not bar the miracles, the man given six months that is alive 5 years later. those miracles are often used to try and point out by detractors what good MDS already know, medicine is an art and not a science, and we are indeed overjoyed by unexpected happy results. unfortunately,the reality is that there are innumerable prdictable results for each unexpected miracle.

as for ronnie, gazza also opened my eyes a bit, or rather nudged my memorey. the best rehab programs have an "after care agenda." and with what the priory costs, it better be one the best. if it is, still, it can only expect about 20% clean and sober after three years, so maybe this checking in is what Gazza states, a refresher in an after care program rather than a rescue.
August 8th, 2004 07:58 PM
gotdablouse The real issue with the Stones these days is that they appear to be completly dried up, or should I say washed up, happy to peddle one boring compilation after the other. Ronnie is a big boy and he can do whatever he feels like doing as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't interfere with his job, unfortunately, it has since...er...1975...
August 9th, 2004 05:33 AM
IanBillen
Yes. Even I am more concerned with Ronnies actual health over new album/new tour possibilities with him.

And No. Nobody is replacing him or need be.

Ronnie be Goodie and keep it together not only for us, but
more importantly to you, for yourself.

Ian
August 10th, 2004 02:29 AM
IanBillen Well come on folks,

Is there a need to slam Ronnie for his problems? He's human. He isn't doing anything that Keith or Charlie have done in excess. And Keith did it for years and years. Every time Ronnie misses a chord it's "Bring Back Mick Taylor", Now hes in rehab again you say
"He is bringing The Stones down, what a drag". Where were you folks when he was hot as hell on the better half of the Licks tour. Why weren't you giving him some praise and well do respect when he was doing a killer "Can't you Hear Me Knocking"? The man is a professional musician. He doesn't play like Mick Taylor guys sorry. Why? Because that isn't his style exactly. Never really has been. Taylor Played long a fluid and Ronnie's licks are shorter but more biting and abrubt. Both intergrate well in the time periods they are in within The Stones existance. Ronnie does put alot of feeling into his guitar and he really gives good effort and soul. And he plays a hell of a sly guitar. He also intergrates more with Keith's playing as opposed to Mick Taylor. Ronnie is top scale. He can play mean guitar, bluesy guitar, country guitar, in The Stonesy fashion and he sounds like authentic Rolling Stones. What eles do you want? He is a Rolling Stone guys. That says it all. He tries exteremely hard to keep himself in check. Look at him in London on Four Flicks. He sucked it all up and held strong for the Licks tour and did fine. Also Ronnie fits the "Bill" as a Keith side kick and has the look and personality of a true Rolling Stone. Mick taylor never did. Cut him a break. He will be back in Ack. Ronnie hits all angles well and he has that Rolling Stones vibe thing. Why keep talking about bringing Mick Taylor back? That isn't going to take place. Times with Taylorwill never be forgotten. Neither will the music with Brian Jones. I just don'r think we should down Ronnie. especially after how good he is and has been with the Stones. He has stayed with them and done more studio releases with them and did more shows and time in than any of the others. Also they guy fits the bill 100%
We should support him in his time of needing it.
Ian