ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hubert Sumlin Gravely Ill Return to archive
August 6th, 2004 05:13 PM
FPM C10 As reported over there <--------

This just in from Blues-L, Hubert Sumlin, one of the all-time great blues guitar players, suffered a heart attack yesterday in Milwaukee. He's anemic, which puts additional stress on his heart.

Hubert is currently in a semi-coma in the intensive care unit, on a breathing machine. His condition is listed as critical / stable. No hospital information was available at time of posting but we will keep you as updated as possible during this precarious time in Hubert's life.

Hubert's truly a great guy. Please say some prayers and send positive thoughts and vibes his way.

Visit Hubert Sumlin's website at http://www.hubertsumlinblues.com/index.html. It would be nice to wish him well via his Guestbook; While there, view his awesome collection of photos in "Hubert's Gallery." Scroll down and read his press kit biography, as written last year by Bob Margolin.

http://www.nothinbutdablues.com/BluesNews/2004/Page60.html#HS

Hubert seemed frail when I saw him in June. He sat in a chair and often his playing was all but inaudible. Jimmy Vivino carried the weight in most of the stuff. But Hubert was visibly lifted by the love and respect of the crowd. I'm glad I had the opportunity to babble my awestruck admiration for him as he sat in the back of his rented limo signing my vinyl copy of Howlin' Wolf's Greatest Hits (which are also HIS greatest hits.)

Get well, Hubert. At 73 you still got a few miles left on Them Shoes - and speaking of which, wouldn't it be a GOOD time for Keith to quit fucking around and see that it gets released?? I'm sure Hubert can use the money - I doubt that Howlin' Wolf had much of a retirement plan for his band.

Release Them Shoes NOW!!
August 6th, 2004 05:21 PM
PolkSalad TY, I get blues-l in digest form and read he had a heart attack the other day. Had not seen that yet^^^
August 6th, 2004 05:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Aw shit.

Get better Hubert.
August 6th, 2004 07:07 PM
Gazza last info I heard from the nothinbuttheblueswebsite was that he was improving.

here's hoping. get well soon, Hubert.

I know Azqb is a personal friend of Hubert's. Maybe she has heard something more and can keep us updated
August 8th, 2004 03:15 PM
Martha Chris and I fortunately (thanks to Nellcote) saw Hubert at the Fur Peace Ranch outside of Athens OH in April at Jorma Kaukonen's music ranch. Besides getting to watch him play (which was wonderful), we got to meet him, get our posters signed (one of which I surprised Nellcote with via mail. I took ahold of Hubert's hand and thanked him for his music and asked about his health. His hand was as soft as butter. It was great moment and I will never forget it. I am sending my prayers and will be watching the board for updates. Be well Hubert.

Martha
August 10th, 2004 07:29 AM
bez85 my prayers are with you Hube..one of the greatest guitar players of all time...
August 10th, 2004 07:47 AM
Gazza Hubert Sumlin Watch / Update
Hubert's Manager, Toni Mammary, reports that Hubert is off of life support and is sitting up, talking, eating and smiling. The extent of damage is not known but the Doctors are referring to his turn-around as a MIRACLE.
Hubert is still in the ICU unit and cannot receive flowers or cards at this point. For now, if you would like to e-mail your thoughts or best wishes send those to [email protected]

We are also in the process of setting up a location where donations can be sent on Hubert's behalf. We will have more news soon but please keep Hubert in your heart and hope for a full recovery. -- Betsie Brown

http://www.nothinbutdablues.com/BluesNews/2004/Page61.html#HS

August 10th, 2004 09:26 AM
Joey " Hubert is currently in a semi-coma in the intensive care unit, on a breathing machine. His condition is listed as critical / stable. No hospital information was available at time of posting but we will keep you as updated as possible during this precarious time in Hubert's life. "

Get Well Soon Hubert ! .....My Thoughts and Prayers are with you today ( ..and Walter Becker's too , I'm sure )

J.
August 10th, 2004 11:13 AM
glencar It's great to see a miracle every once in a while.
August 10th, 2004 11:14 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's great to see a miracle every once in a while.

Hi Blue !
August 10th, 2004 11:17 AM
glencar Hi Joey. It's good to be back but I'd rather still be on vacation. I'm perturbed & disturbed that Savage Young Izzy has left the building. Things must have gotten crazy while I was gone. Or else you & joshy were up to your usual hijinks!
August 10th, 2004 11:21 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hi Joey. It's good to be back but I'd rather still be on vacation. I'm perturbed & disturbed that Savage Young Izzy has left the building. Things must have gotten crazy while I was gone. Or else you & joshy were up to your usual hijinks!

Nah , we have been on good behavior lately .

Did you hear what happened to my Baby Steelie ?!?!
August 10th, 2004 11:26 AM
glencar What, pray tell?
August 10th, 2004 11:30 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
What, pray tell?

Let's just say it brings new meaning to the phrase , " Remember the Alamo ! "

NO STEELIE !!!!!!!!! ................. NO PEACE !

J. Kaskee !
August 10th, 2004 11:31 AM
glencar Any thread evidence of this "Alamo"?
August 10th, 2004 11:33 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Any thread evidence of this "Alamo"?

IT's in " THE BOOK ! "
August 10th, 2004 11:40 AM
glencar You making me head hurt. Be less obtuse.
August 10th, 2004 11:42 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
You making me head hurt. Be less obtuse.

" No can do " my Stonesian Brother ..................I have yet to take my morning sh## !!!!!

Developing ........................literally !

Oh , OH !!!!!!!!! .............................

************** END TRANSMISSION ****************
August 10th, 2004 11:47 AM
glencar That reminds me...
August 10th, 2004 03:45 PM
Factory Girl joey, be less oblique....
August 10th, 2004 11:12 PM
glencar The oblique Joey needs to splain things.