ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger paid a nostalgic visit to his fatheris home village (NSC) Return to archive
August 6th, 2004 10:39 AM
CS Rock star Mick rolls into town
by Janice Barker

World-famous Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger rolled into Greenfield for a spot of lunch . . . but no one batted an eyelid.

The millionaire musician spent an hour and a half in The Clarence pub in Chew Valley Road as he paid a nostalgic visit to his fatheris home village, and he recalled the days when he visited his grandparents in Greenfield as a boy.

Mick (61) used to visit Saddleworth before he became a founder of the Stones in 1962 when he was a student at the London School of Economics.

He called in at the Clarence for a reunion with his cousins and old family friends.

He has been taking part in a long-planned visit to attractions in the North, such as Hadrianis Wall, with his father Joe (91) and younger brother Chris, a songwriter.

The party of eight enjoyed a lunch in the Clarenceis newly-refurbished dining room, and Mick chatted happily to his family, according to pub manager James Beveridge.

He signed an album for a fan who rushed along with a copy of his favourite Stones tracks, before thanking the staff when he left.

But requests for photographs were politely refused by his minder.

Mick dined on salmon and shook hands with chef Richard Turner, before continuing his visit to Saddleworth.

Mickis grandfather was headmaster at St Mary’s School, Greenfield, and some of his family are still here.

He left the Clarence waitresses a good tip and came up to the bar and said thank staff before he left.

Mick’s father _ his mother Eva died aged 87 four years ago _ went to Hulme Grammar School but left Greenfield after studying at Manchester University and going on to Kings College, London.

He was a PE expert who worked in Kent, Holland and Belgium. After the war he returned to England and joined the Central Council of Physical Recreation, before becoming a lecturer, examiner and finally a professor in Washington DC, America.

He now lives in Richmond, Surrey, near his famous son, who was born in Dartford, Kent.

A spokesman for Mick said: “It was a very nostalgic visit for him and his family. He has not been back to Greenfield for more than 20 years, but the memories just came flooding back.

“He remembered when he used to visit his grandparents.

“This was one of the rare times when he had some downtime for travelling and recreation.”

STAR-STRUCK . . . (from the left) Clarence chef Richard Roberts, manager James Beveridge and fan John Warhurst, who had Mick sign his dad Peter Warhurstis Stones album

August 6th, 2004 10:59 AM
parmeda Great article CS...I especially like the name of the Pub Manager, James "BEVERIDGE", lol
How appropriate!

And what's with, "But requests for photographs were politely refused by his minder." ?
Mick has a "minder"?

I'd have gotten a picture! Oh, yes I would have!

August 6th, 2004 12:31 PM
Some Guy Very nice post indeed. He must have truly enjoyed that time. The guy with the signed album is very fortunate. What album is that?
August 6th, 2004 12:43 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
parmeda wrote:
"But requests for photographs were politely refused by his minder." ?
Mick has a "minder"?

Oh yeah, he has. Clive Haynes has been Mick's driver and security guard since 3 or 4 years. You can see him at the far right in today's header.

And about that album he signed: I think it's the very first RS album in the pic, simply titled "The Rolling Stones".
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
August 6th, 2004 12:55 PM
parmeda Oh, MW...I know Mick has 'ol Clive at his beck & call, lol
It just "tickled me" to read that
August 6th, 2004 12:57 PM
LadyJane 'ol Clive would NOT stop us!!!

We'd have him eating out of the palms of our hands!

Word!

LJ.
August 6th, 2004 12:59 PM
Monkey Woman Here's more about Mick's visit in the North of England. After the family reunion, a little tourism: the Hadrian Wall and... the local pub!

AND I WANT A (HALF) PINT OF BLACK
Published on Friday, August 6th 2004

So what does an international rock star do when he visits Haltwhistle?

Well, he walks the Wall for and then ducks into the Milecastle Inn for lunch.

Which is just what Sir Mick Jagger chose to do, much to the delight of barmaid and ardent Rolling Stones fan Norma Wood.

During the past decade, she has been to see the Rolling Stones during each of their last three world tours – small figures on stage across huge auditoriums.

She certainly could not foresee this thing happening to her, as her hero loomed in front of her and ordered half a Guinness.

“I was absolutely gobsmacked,” she said.

“I said ‘Is this your first visit to Northumberland?’ and he said ‘no’, but he said it was his first visit to the Wall.

“He signed autographs in the pub, and he said he had signed autographs on the Wall as well.

“I went to the concerts with my three sisters, so they are insanely jealous.

“Mick was with another chap, and they had maps out and were talking about the Lakes, so I thought they must be staying over there.

“A driver picked them up later, after they had eaten.”

And what does a rock star choose to eat in Haltwhistle?

The answer is prawn cocktail followed by one of landlady Clare Hind’s home-made fish pies.

If Norma got a surprise, imagine the reaction of the local who bumped into Sir Mick in the toilets.

Odds on it put him off his stride.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/viewarticle.asp?id=122111
August 6th, 2004 01:57 PM
Gazza There were pics of Mick and his dad on this visit in the Daily Express (I think) a few days ago.
August 6th, 2004 02:01 PM
jb Mick sounds like an old fart....
August 6th, 2004 02:03 PM
Gazza Such vitriol!

Obviously Florida hates the Stones as much as the English do
August 6th, 2004 02:14 PM
parmeda
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
'ol Clive would NOT stop us!!!

We'd have him eating out of the palms of our hands!

Word!

LJ.

Um...let's be honest LadyJ.
...we'd knock 'ol Clive on his ass!

WORD!
August 6th, 2004 02:26 PM
Bloozehound Only half a pint of the dark stuff ? I thought he was partial to the Heini's anyways...
[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 6th, 2004 06:26 PM
Sue Mick's satisfaction as the Roamin' Stone
Aug 6 2004
By The Evening Chronicle

Rock legend Sir Mick Jagger stunned staff in a Northumberland pub when he popped in for half a Guinness.

Barmaid and long-time Rolling Stones fan Norma Wood couldn't believe her luck when the rock star came into the Milecastle Inn, at Haltwhistle, after walking along Hadrian's Wall.

Norma has been with her three sisters to see a concert in each of the Stones' last three world tours, but Sir Mick was just a tiny figure on a stage.

Norma said: "He was with two other men, I think his brother and their driver.

"It was about 3pm and the place was quiet so we had a bit of a chat. He said it was a lovely area and they had walked along the wall from Steel Rigg to Housesteads."

Clare Hind, who has been landlady at the Milecastle Inn since last September, added: "He said I had a nice place and asked how long we had been here.

"He signed some autographs, but there wasn't a camera in the place so we didn't get any photographs."

Mrs Hind was a Rolling Stones fan in her younger days, but says she is not as ardent as barmaid Norma, who says her three sisters are now insanely jealous of her.

Sir Mick spent about an hour at the Milecastle Inn on Wednesday last week, sipping his half of Guinness, chatting and tucking into a lunch of prawn cocktail followed by one of Mrs Hind's home made fish pies.
August 6th, 2004 07:03 PM
Navin
Looks like that is the first Stones album...check inside your CD copy of 'England's Newest Hitmakers' (1964)
August 8th, 2004 10:46 AM
gotdablouse Hey Mick, how about paying a visit to a recording studio or is it really all over ?!
August 8th, 2004 08:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Hey Mick, how about paying a visit to a recording studio or is it really all over ?!

LOL at least pay a nostalgic visit to the studio
August 8th, 2004 09:44 PM
corgi37 Man, thats a lovely bunch of posts. He's a good boy, that Mick. Maybe the last time he, his bro and their dad get to do this kind of thing.

And, to think, i always said you'd never imagine MIck in a pub (assuming it always Keith), but now i'd have to say this. Sir Mick is a man of the people. Keith is just your average genrified Conneticut millionaire.

Bet he wouldnt eat any home made fish pie!

P.S. Fur pie maybe?
August 9th, 2004 01:19 AM
glencar Nice story. Hadrian's Wall is still up?