ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger fails to do the trick for GMR Return to archive
August 6th, 2004 10:24 AM
CS Jagger fails to do the trick for GMR
Simon Donohue

MICK Jagger failed to help Mike Briscoe score a hit in his first audience figures in charge at BBC GMR.

The local radio station boss used pictures of youthful older stars to impress upon staff that despite the older demographic, listeners are still likely to be as fit as a fiddle.

Mr Briscoe was disappointed to have learned of a reduction in listening numbers when RAJAR - the Radio Joint Audience Research organisation - revealed its findings for the quarter ending June 20.

Compared with the same period last year, weekly reach at GMR was down from 15 per cent to 13 per cent, while share of listening fell from 7.1 per cent to 5.4 per cent.

Mr Briscoe, who is celebrating his first six months at the helm, is still hopeful that listeners will come to love the changes he has introduced, including replacing a late night phone-in show with a comedy slot.

He said: "I want GMR to be a big radio station for a big vibrant city. It has a buzz about it. We are still aiming for the same target audience, but were going around treating them as Victor Meldrew characters. I had a session with the staff where I showed them people who were 60 or more - including Mick Jagger. I'm disappointed because there was a slight drop across all of our programmes and no real explanation. But when you make changes, I think you really have to wait six to 12 months for them to bed in."

There is better news for Manchester's other key radio stations. 105.4 Century FM has increased listening share from 5.6 per cent to 6.4 per cent, while Capital Gold Manchester is up from 1.7 per cent to two per cent.

Stephanie Barker, marketing controller at 105.4 Century FM, said: "The brand is going from strength to strength with new brand extensions being introduced on a regular basis. Darren Proctor will soon become 105.4 Century FM's Breakfast show host - and we have big plans for the show." Key 103 has increased its listening share from nine per cent to 9.2 per cent, while sister station Magic 1152 is up from 1.8 per cent to 1.9.

The transformation of Jazz FM to Smooth FM - the station owned by Manchester Evening News publisher, Guardian Media Group - also appears to have been a success, with an increase in listening share from 1.7 per cent to 2.3 per cent.

The station, launched in March, achieved a per listener average of 7.8 hours of weekly listening - two records for the licence.

Smooth FM broadcasts across Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire and Cheshire. MD Roy Bennett said: "To achieve three records in our first quarter is great. Listeners clearly like what they hear and we look forward to building on both reach and hours in the future."
August 6th, 2004 10:38 AM
jb Mick is hated in England....they(the English) despise Mick and the Stones more than any other nation imo....
August 6th, 2004 12:33 PM
Jumacfly I got the same feeling JB.... FEEEEEEEEELINGG mmh mhmhh...
August 9th, 2004 01:41 AM
glencar That article was boring.
August 10th, 2004 01:47 AM
corgi37 The Poms are a weird lot. I mean, the smart got out a couple of hundred years ago. They did things like steal bread, or whore themselves, just to get sent to heaven (AUstralia). The rest were too dumb to think of that, and stayed behind.

Of course, my critisism does not extend to Jo Guest, Anna Taverner, Natasha Mealey, Jo Hicks, Denise Van Outen and that grand lesbian, Samantha Fox.
August 10th, 2004 02:59 PM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

..... and that grand lesbian, Samantha Fox.

Kylie Minogue ain't too bad either .

W- W- W- What ?!?! .............Oh , sure :

http://www.kylie.com/