ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones at Kurhaus August 8, 1964 / 2004 ! Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 23rd, 2004 06:34 AM
Mathijs On August 8, 1964 the Rolling Stones played their -by now (in)famous- first show in Holland at the Kurhaus theatre in Scheveningen (Den Haag). As we all know, the fans (partly instigated by the quite vicious police behaviour) completely trashed the interior of this beautiful venue. The riot cut the show short after just 4 songs.

The 40th anniversary of the Stones' first ever Dutch gig will be celebrated on Sunday August 8, 2004 with a special event at ... well ... the Kurhaus of course. Between 2 and 4 pm Hans Schiffers will broadcast his AVRO radio show 'Het Steenen Tijdperk' live from the Kurhaus with interviews and music (Radio 2). Flip the Switch will play 30 minutes before and an hour after the radio show!! It's a unique opportunity for the band to perform at this location, 40 years after the Stones did. If you want to have a shot at winning tickets for this very special event, you can enter the online competition!!!

See www.fliptheswitch.nl for more information

Mathijs / Flip the Switch
July 24th, 2004 04:35 PM
Lil Brian Mathijs-

Have a great time!! Rock it up.

What kind of set list did they play that night?
I'd have loved to be there in '64.
Was it recorded or bootlegged?

LB
July 24th, 2004 05:41 PM
Lil Brian Cool site.
I love the early Stones!!!
July 24th, 2004 11:34 PM
Gazza >What kind of set list did they play that night?
I'd have loved to be there in '64.
Was it recorded or bootlegged?

see here : http://www.rocksoff.org/1964a.htm

Film of the show exists but it's almost inaudible due to the riot. Complete chaos.

MTV used to show this clip a few years ago as a sort of retro promo for "I Wanna Be Your Man", using the scenes of the Scheveningen riot to accompany the music.
July 25th, 2004 05:47 AM
F505 The best part was the people hanging in the chandeliers
July 25th, 2004 10:54 AM
Lil Brian Thanks Gazza-

BY GARY GALBRAITH

Standard setlist for "All Stars '64" Feb-March 1964 tour

Talkin' Bout You
Walking The Dog
Pretty Thing
Cops and Robbers
Jaguar & The Thunderbird
Don't Lie To Me
I Wanna Be Your Man
Roll Over Beethoven
I'm Moving On
Road Runner
Route 66
Bye Bye Johnny

Also during '64:

Not Fade Away
Down The Road Apiece
Money
Mona
Poison Ivy
Hi-Heel Sneakers
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Carol
You Can Make It If You Try
I'm Alright
Tell Me
Beautiful Delilah
Can I Get A Witness
It's All Over Now
Susie Q
If You Need Me
Around & Around
I'm A King Bee
Down In The Bottom
Time Is On My Side
Off The Hook
Get Together

[Edited by Lil Brian]
July 25th, 2004 11:13 AM
Lil Brian I've never heard a Stones version of "Pretty Thing" or "Jaguar & The Thunderbird".
Did either of these tunes survive to bootlegdom?
Is there be any possibility of a "Licked All Over" type compilation from '64 or are some of these lost forever???

[Edited by Lil Brian]
July 25th, 2004 11:15 AM
Lil Brian A live compilation of all songs played in '64...
There's a live album release I could REALLY get in to!!!
[Edited by Lil Brian]
July 31st, 2004 08:25 AM
bootcover Just received my ticket, so cu all at august 8th in the Kurhaus
July 31st, 2004 04:33 PM
Gazza >I've never heard a Stones version of "Pretty Thing" or "Jaguar & The Thunderbird".
Did either of these tunes survive to bootlegdom?

the setlists page mentions if the show in question has a recording in existence

"No tape extant" is my fancy way of saying there ain't one! Thats pretty much the case for anything prior to 1969 apart from a small number of shows in Europe and Australia with a radio broadcast of a show in Honolulu in '66 being the ONLY North American show in circulation.

>Is there be any possibility of a "Licked All Over" type compilation from '64 or are some of these lost forever???

Unless you were the lucky and rich fan who bought the reel to reel recording of a October 1963 show at the Crawdaddy that recently came up for auction, theres nothing in circulation from anything prior to 1965 apart from radio & Tv recordings, with the exception of the previously mentioned and unlistenable Scheviningen tape.

Most Stones concerts that ARE in circulation from '65 - 66 are taken from radio broadcasts. Audience recordings from that era are almost without exception in awful sound quality as you can imagine, being recorded with primitive equipment and having to deal with thousands of girls screaming at the same time.
July 31st, 2004 07:11 PM
Lil Brian Thanks Gazza for the continuing education of a newbie.
I guess I'm a just a Stones dreamer at heart.
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall back in the day!
August 2nd, 2004 03:31 AM
albert I'm sure that, besides the video material, there does exist an live audio tape of the infamous Kurhaus concert. I, and I guess a lot of other collectors, do have it on tape or on boot cd.

The video has music 'dubbed over' from the first Stones album.

The Stones played 4 songs at the Kurhaus. Mostly without Micks singing because the audience very quickly got hold of his microphone!!

Albert
Holland

Can someone help me to get tickets for this special event?
I just returned from vacation so missed the whole thing.
August 4th, 2004 05:47 PM
F505 Just got my ticket for sunday Let's tear that building down!
August 4th, 2004 07:31 PM
Angiegirl Well, I'll see you all on Sunday then!!
August 5th, 2004 02:00 AM
Moonisup well, see you all there then!
August 5th, 2004 11:37 AM
F505

Great pic!
August 5th, 2004 12:02 PM
Gazza wow..and to think people complain because the Stones have too many people onstage with them NOW.

At least lisa, Bernard, Blondie and Chuck DO something. Those guys are just standing there!
[Edited by Gazza]
August 5th, 2004 12:03 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
wow..and to think people complain because the Stones have too many people onstage with them NOW

LOL
August 6th, 2004 04:42 AM
Jumacfly Hey my dutchie pals take a pic of you all and post it here!!
have a nice show!!

cheers

JU
August 6th, 2004 02:12 PM
Angiegirl We'll try that if they allow camaras, but I think they will... We'll post it when we get home!
August 6th, 2004 11:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl God speed to the flitches
August 7th, 2004 07:14 AM
Mathijs Aside from the video footage of the Kurhaus concert, there's a audience tape made by Dutch radio DJ Willem van Kooten, AND a just recently sufaced SECOND tape with, apperently, the full show. I haven't heard this tape yet, but it does reveal the Stones did not open the show with Walking the Dog, but with Beautiful Delilah! Also, the ending wasn't Not Fade Away, as many sources say, but a raw version of Mona!

Anyway, hope to see you all in the Kurhaus, let's tear the place up for a second time!

Mathijs
August 7th, 2004 10:31 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
We'll try that if they allow camaras, but I think they will... We'll post it when we get home!

I will bring my cam.
August 7th, 2004 02:26 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
AND a just recently sufaced SECOND tape with, apperently, the full show. I haven't heard this tape yet, but it does reveal the Stones did not open the show with Walking the Dog, but with Beautiful Delilah! Also, the ending wasn't Not Fade Away, as many sources say, but a raw version of Mona!

Beatiful Delilah, really? Wow, that's interesting. I've always done my homework as a fan and learned the choice and order of the famous 4 songs by heart... Time for some new homework it seems!! Looking forward to tomorrow.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
August 7th, 2004 02:43 PM
LadyJane Have fun, you guys/gals!!

We'll ALL be with you in spirt.

WE WANT PICS!!

LJ.
August 8th, 2004 04:14 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Have fun, you guys/gals!!

We'll ALL be with you in spirt.

WE WANT PICS!!

LJ.

And pics you will get!
August 8th, 2004 01:16 PM
egon algemeen dagblad 6-08-2004

Morgen herdenking Stones-concert in Kurhaus

Rolling Stones: '5 zeer vies uitziende jongens'
Door Annelies Smit en Peter de Jonge

Morgen is het 40 jaar geleden dat de Rolling Stones hun eerste concert gaven op het vasteland van Europa. De plek: het statige Kurhaus.

The Rolling Stones in het Kurhaus....

In Scheveningen werden de bezoekers keurig welkom geheten door portiers.

Het concert liep volledig uit de hand. Toen opgewonden fans het podium beklommen, werden ze er door agenten met de gummiknuppel af geslagen. De Stones speelden vier nummers: Walking the Dog, High-Heel Sneakers, Suzie Q en een deel van Not Fade Away.

Er werd gesmeten met meubilair en bereden politie joeg de menigte buiten hardhandig uit elkaar. De Kurzaal veranderde in een troosteloze puinhoop. 'En dat alles omdat vijf Engelse, zeer vies uitziende jongens, op het podium Beatle-geluiden maakten: The Rolling Stones', schreef het Algemeen Dagblad daags er na op de voorpagina.

Veertig jaar na dato keren morgen fans en andere aanwezigen van toen voor een herdenking terug naar de plaats delict.

Verraden door foto

Dien van Straalen (57) uit Den Haag

Kostuumontwerpster, dit jaar genomineerd voor een Oscar voor de beste kleding in Girl With A Pearl Earring.

,,Dat concert, daar moest je naar toe. Je was er nerveus voor. Het gevoel dat je iets groots ging zien. Het was te gek, echt fantastisch. Ik was er met Phil Bloom. Ik had speciaal een witte broek en een rood jackje aangetrokken, want ik dacht: dan zien ze me wel. Ik heb mezelf nog wel eens teruggezien op een filmpje dat TV West uitzond en ik dacht: wat een lief meisje staat daar!

,,Van mijn ouders mocht ik er niet naar toe. The Beatles was nog tot daar aan toe, maar de Stones... We hingen in een pilaar, of stonden op een stoel ernaast, zodat we ze beter konden zien.

,,Een tijd na het concert stond er een foto van mij groot in het blad Wereldkroniek. Mijn oma zag het bij de kapper. Zo kwam uit dat ik er was geweest. Maar het was nauwelijks een concert. Vier nummers. Daarna moest je maken dat je wegkwam, want je werd gewoon het Kurhaus uitgeslagen. Ik heb nog een gevoelige knal tussen mijn schouderbladen gekregen.''

Dat foute voorprogramma

Pierre Spijkerman (55) uit Den Haag

Eigenaar administratiekantoor.

,,Het kwam door dat foute voorprogramma: de Fouryo's. Die zongen Jij en ik in een bootje. Volledig fout. Een kennis van me had een zak met rubberballetjes meegenomen. Die heeft-ie gebruikt om de Fouryo's van het podium te kogelen.

,,Daardoor duurde de pauze langer en liep het uit de hand. Iedereen kwam naar voren. We gingen op de stoelen staan om iets te kunnen zien. Ik zat op rij drie. Die stoelen hielden het niet en er braken leuningen af.

,,Toen agenten klappen gingen geven, gooiden wij met die leuningen. Ja, ik heb zelf ook gegooid. Later heb ik, buiten op het plein, nog klappen gehad. In mijn herinnering was er zelfs politie te paard in de zaal.

,,Ik had in die tijd net mijn eerste elpee van de Stones gekocht voor 20 gulden. Ik had elke week op de stoep van de platenwinkel gestaan om te zien of die er al was. Ik was gek van de Stones. Een kaartje kostte 15 gulden. Je kon er heel gemakkelijk aan komen. Ik was 15 jaar. Dat ik er van mijn ouders naar toe mocht, snap ik nog niet. Maar ja, zij dachten: hij gaat naar iets in het Kurhaus. Dat moet wel goed zijn.''

Inferno van Dante

Jan van Gelder (76) uit Den Haag

Chauffeur van Rolling Stones in Nederland.

,,Dat concert was het inferno van Dante. Impresario Paul Acket en ik hadden maar één gedachte: hoe komen wij én de Stones levend het gebouw uit? We hadden die agressie helemaal niet verwacht. 's Middags liep ik nog met Mick Jagger en de anderen rustig over straat om wat toiletspulletjes in te slaan.

,,Toen ze het podium opkwamen, stormde iedereen naar voren. Stoelen vlogen door de zaal. Als een haas heb ik de auto aan de zijkant gezet en ze weggeloodst.

,,Invaller Ian Stewart had een gat in zijn hoofd en dus moesten we rechtstreeks naar het ziekenhuis. Onderweg was het enige commentaar van Mick Jagger: 'Hhmm, dat was wel heftig'. Jagger was vooral ongerust over de verwondingen van Ian en weigerde hem in het ziekenhuis achter te laten. Tegen alle doktersadviezen in, gingen ze meteen terug naar Engeland.

,,De wilde taferelen in de zaal maakten minder indruk. Ik denk dat ze in Engeland al wel wat gewend waren.''

Een paard in de hal

Willem Muller (83) uit Zoetermeer

Galoppeerde als bereden brigade door de hal van het Kurhaus.

,,We wisten natuurlijk dat het wel eens mis kon gaan. Daarom stonden we met z'n zessen van de Bereden Brigade klaar buiten het Kurhaus. Toen het tumult losbrak, moesten we met harde hand orde scheppen. In galop over de stenen, met de bullepees in de hand.

,,We waren zogezegd 'de commissie van ontvangst' voor de nozems die naar buiten werden gewerkt door onze collega's in de zaal. Op een gegeven moment werd het zo erg dat ik op mijn witte ruin Joop de hal in ging. En de anderen ook. We moesten in het Kurhaus zelf aan de gang, ze gingen er zo te keer. De jeugd hing aan de kroonluchters en ontkleedde de meisjes. Dat kon natuurlijk niet.

,,Dat ik met paard en al in het Kurhaus aan de slag ging, was wel enerverend. Maar je denkt er op dat moment niet bij na. Wat moet, dat moet. Nog steeds snap ik niet wat die jongeren toch in die muziek van de Rolling Stones zagen. Voor mij is het kattengejank en niks anders.''

[Edited by egon]
August 8th, 2004 01:22 PM
egon

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
August 8th, 2004 04:23 PM
Angiegirl I'm back, it was nice, beautiful venue, great show by Flip, and an extremely hot day too. The Kurhaus lies on the boulevard and beach, beautiful view of the North Sea from the terrace.

People who had been at the show in 1964 wore a button saying "I was there in '64" (or I was here, don't recall).
There was a 2 hour radio show with interviews. The original drumkit that was hired for Charlie etc. T-shirts were sold with a pic of the chaos in 64 and the lines 'The Unfinished Concert' Kurhaus August 8, 1964. The local newspaper of The Hague had printed a special edition about this event with photos and interviews. National tv showed some clips of Flip performing (haven't seen it yet, hopefully again in the midnight news).

Flip opened with the 4 songs the Stones played 40 years ago before they ran for their lives .

Here are 4 pics by Eddy C. of the Dutch mailinglist Dirty Work, more will follow, or links at least.

Flip the Switch:

The venue:

Kariem, MoonIsUp (Rik) and Merel (Rik's friend) on the terrace:

Laura and Angiegirl on the terrace

Pix by Mr. Ed: More pix

Cheers, Angie

[Edited by Angiegirl]
August 8th, 2004 04:32 PM
Angiegirl Mick in Kurhaus 8-8-64

Page: 1 2