ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Đ Getty Images with very special thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone have outtakes and rare recordings 80-present? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th August 2006 02:12 PM
Steel Wheels Anyone have outtakes and rare studio recordings from 80-present?

What's available from the Bridges to Babylon, Emotional Rescue, and Undercover sessions?

Has anything surfaced from A Bigger Bang?

Thanks!

S.W.

11th August 2006 03:22 PM
gimmekeef Some great stuff from Voodoo Lounge but nothing much from the ones you mention..at least in quality anyway that I'm aware of...ABB?...being as it was done at Micks house primarily you can bet nothing will surface from there....
11th August 2006 04:06 PM
marko Theres lots of stuff available from 1977-1986.As they used
same "pathe marconi" studio(macig was gone after that btw..)
From steel wheels:Nothing
Voodoo lounge:10 cdīs of outtakes&sessions
BTB:Remixes pt.1 and pt.2

Undercover outtakes ate rather bad quality,but very interesting.
11th August 2006 04:08 PM
marko Oh,also nothing from ABB,since there was no sessions.
Just mick&keith at micks house in France.
11th August 2006 04:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Some great stuff from Voodoo Lounge but nothing much from the ones you mention..at least in quality anyway that I'm aware of...ABB?...being as it was done at Micks house primarily you can bet nothing will surface from there....

eh? theres loads of stuff from ER in circulation plus quite a decent amount of Undercover sessions too (although the quality on the latter is variable)
11th August 2006 04:27 PM
Steel Wheels Thanks Peeps. Anyone up for doing some trading? I have some Led Zeppelin MSG soundboards from 75 or so, a bunch of Beatles, and various Keith piano #'s from when he was in Toronto.
11th August 2006 04:30 PM
BILL PERKS I'VE BEEN LOOKING 'FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE' FROM SW SESSIONS FOR YEARS
11th August 2006 04:48 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

eh? theres loads of stuff from ER in circulation plus quite a decent amount of Undercover sessions too (although the quality on the latter is variable)

Didnt know you were Canadian eh?....lol...I have most of this and find the quality quite poor in relation to The Voodoo stuff..some of which I prefer to the released versions..
11th August 2006 05:34 PM
FrankiePeppers Don't forget the Dirty Work outtakes.
11th August 2006 08:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I'VE BEEN LOOKING 'FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE' FROM SW SESSIONS FOR YEARS

theres nothing in circulation from those sessions, unfortunately
11th August 2006 08:51 PM
glencar Is tehre anything from Bridges To Babylon? I know they did a song called High & Low but if it's another syrupy ballad, I'd rather not bother.
11th August 2006 08:53 PM
Gazza just the remixes Marko referred to earlier - some of which are surprisingly quite good and interesting

since Ronnie Wood's son 'leaked' hours and hours of Voodoo Lounge stuff, theyve been a lot more careful with studio security!
11th August 2006 09:03 PM
glencar Which son was that? LOL
12th August 2006 05:44 AM
corgi37 See, this is the crap they peddle. There was supposed to be around 27 songs done for SW. Same, if not more, for VL. B2B has a few floating around. There was supposed to be tonnes of stuff in the can, waiting for the light of day. So, where is all that stuff?

Answer?

None! What we got is it. Thats why there was 8 years between releases. The spark is mostly extinguished.

Because, if there was stuff there, why not release it between B2B & ABB? Instead, they lost a generation of potential fans.
12th August 2006 10:14 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
See, this is the crap they peddle. There was supposed to be around 27 songs done for SW. Same, if not more, for VL. B2B has a few floating around. There was supposed to be tonnes of stuff in the can, waiting for the light of day. So, where is all that stuff?

Answer?

None! What we got is it. Thats why there was 8 years between releases. The spark is mostly extinguished.

Because, if there was stuff there, why not release it between B2B & ABB? Instead, they lost a generation of potential fans.

Despite this lost generation of fans..somehow they manage to rake in close to half a billion dollars in ticket sales, cd sales and merchandise in 2004-2006...amazing....
12th August 2006 05:30 PM
Gazza Half a billion??
12th August 2006 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Which son was that? LOL

Cant remember. Jamie, I think.

Mind you, it was Woody himself who supposedly 'leaked' the Dirty Work outtakes initially. I had a low gen tape of them about a year after the album came out and about a year before they ever appeared on a bootleg - the Canadian guy who sent them to me told me he'd got them from someone in LA who had been given them by Ronnie!
[Edited by Gazza]
12th August 2006 05:52 PM
egon I've got rarities.
Not many people have that...
12th August 2006 06:45 PM
Taptrick
Can anyone tell me what Sending Out An Inviation sounds like - maybe do a critique of it. I've read that it is quite interesting and could have developed into a seious AOR track. I've always thought that about Jah Is Not Dead too. I have heard that and love it. So can anyone tell me about Invitation? Details please!

12th August 2006 06:53 PM
Gazza well...its basically a very long soul ballad - about 15 and a half minutes in length, in fact. Its a pretty good track.

Most of the vocals are by Don Covay and Bobby Womack, with some by Jagger as well, so it wouldnt really have worked as far as including it on a Stones album, due to the length and the fact that the Stones are basically little more than a backing band on it.

Their cover of "Jah No Dead" (from the Emotional Rescue sessions in the Bahamas in early 1979) is a good number too, although the circulating version isnt really a finished take and is very long also (over ten minutes).
12th August 2006 07:20 PM
gotdablouse Still no news unfortunately from the SW, B2B, Forty Licks and of course ABB sessions.

The SW stuff has circulated among a VERY restricted circle apparently, ChrisM spilled the beans in one of his articles for his site when he described the Gangster Moll's version they recorded in 1989, when I asked him about it he took off the reference on his site ;-) There was also a rumour in late '95 at the time of the VBrew, VStew packages that a SW package was coming out, Gazza's already stated he thinks it was nothing more than a rumour, I have to agree 10+ years down the road.

The story that Ron's son leaked the VL sessions is complete news to me though, are there any details available about how that happened ?
12th August 2006 07:54 PM
Gazza Dont know. Seem to remember Mathijs mentioning him as being the source one time.
12th August 2006 11:49 PM
Steel Wheels Yeah, a ton of stuff was done for Steel Wheels, but who has it?

Ganster's Moll has been around for a long time - I've seen mentions of it here and there. What does it sound like?
13th August 2006 07:24 AM
marko Gansters moll is from some girls-er era.Its an ok unreleased song,but there are lots of better ones.
13th August 2006 09:14 AM
Gazza
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Yeah, a ton of stuff was done for Steel Wheels, but who has it?

there wasnt really. They only recorded for about 6 weeks and there arent many unreleased songs. Nothing is verified as having been leaked, so no one "has it".

Thing to remember is that even where a lot of stuff has been bootlegged, its still only a tiny fraction of what was recorded. Even the 10 CDs of Voodoo Lounge sessions represents very little when you consider the fact that they recorded in Ireland for 3 and a half months and then did several weeks worth of overdubbing and mixing in LA

In the last 21 years since they recorded Dirty Work in Paris and New York, VL is the only album where there have been recording sessions bootlegged. Its a near miracle that we get anything at all, and the lack of material since then has a lot to do with increased security and an increasing reliance on recording in remote locations such as Mick's house (ABB), Montserrat (for SW), etc.
13th August 2006 11:41 AM
aladdinstory i remember reading on this board a few yrs ago about the SW outtakes circulating in a select circle of people in their private collection. they did re-record Gangster's Moll for those sessions according to Karnbach's book and other Stones resources I've seen, as well as an early version of Sweet Thing and Hang On Tonight (possibly an early version of Hang On To Me Tonight).

Gangster's Moll was originally recorded during the ER sessions so to hear how they would've updated it would be interesting. I think another reason why we've not had any outtakes in circulation since those amazing VL ones (much of it more interesting than what was ultimately released) is that everything is recorded digitally now, saved on password protected hard drives probably behind all sorts of firewalls and security.

And considering how prolific the band was from mid-60s to mid-80s it would seem probable that what we've heard of outtakes over the years are just the tip of a very large iceberg of sound recordings locked away Rapunzel-like in MJ's air conditioned vaults. It seems like the band gets all into a song, then start another groove, move on and then 5-6 grooves later those previous songs are forgotten. Plus it seems from I've read, the band (at least since SG)pick the first songs finished and that is what's released.

In regards to the post ER outtakes the majority of us have heard, at least in my opinion, it seems the Stones have made some unfortunate choices in what they released and kept in the vaults. "Honest Man" and "Strictly Memphis" come to mind. Hell those Place Pigalle discs have at least 2-3 CDs worth of material. Even the embryonic Voodoo Residue has a couple of songs that would've sounded great on VL.

Probably the sad fact too is that both MJ and KR have "pet" songs they really want on the album, that the other might not like care for, so for example Lonely At The Top winds up on She's The Boss and Let's Go Steady remains an outtake. So I think the problem with the band post SG could be that they've recorded alot of incredible material, but unfortunately the more mediocre rises to the top because of ego battles, compromises, uncertainty or the fact that song happens to be finished first...in many cases the more interesting material has wound up on the cutting room floor so to speak.

If you think about, despite the fact there is some great material, there aren't many pre-75 outtakes that you'd replace the released material with, however post-75 there are numerous unreleased songs of better quality than what was ultimately released. Of course according to Jagger Tattoo You cleaned out the vaults of "releaseable" material, so I guess all we have left are those "dregs" in the basement then, well if any other band could be so lucky to have such "dregs", even the Stones "b material" is of such quality to build a fairly decent bizarro world kinda Stones alt-recording career.

And ironically enough at this stage of the game those bizarro world Stones would even have the more interesting setlists! Although even they would have their warhores too I imagine, "oh no NOT Fiji Jim AGAIN!, they play that every friggin' tour..."

13th August 2006 05:27 PM
gotdablouse Great post. I think that SW story must have been mine, I've been chomping at the bit ever since I read ChrisM's review of the updated Gangster's Moll !

Yes it's too bad they stopped releasing an album every 12 months, but then everyone did. It's also a pity that they didn't reproduce the Tattoo You formula considering how well it had worked, this is particularly obvious for UC and DW where the new material sucked, mostly. I guess it's their way of keeping things going, staying in the swing of things, thinking they'll hit the motherload once more...
13th August 2006 06:12 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Great post. I think that SW story must have been mine, I've been chomping at the bit ever since I read ChrisM's review of the updated Gangster's Moll !

Yes it's too bad they stopped releasing an album every 12 months, but then everyone did. It's also a pity that they didn't reproduce the Tattoo You formula considering how well it had worked, this is particularly obvious for UC and DW where the new material sucked, mostly. I guess it's their way of keeping things going, staying in the swing of things, thinking they'll hit the motherload once more...

Thanks! I actually have always dug UC quite a bit though, particularly the home stretch from Pretty Beat Up on...I've seen UC as a sort of victim of it's time, it was far too nasty, funky and gratuitous for that synth pop, new romantic not to mention the dawning of the abyssmal MTV poofy haired metal era. As for DW, the outtakes from those sessions were a revelation to me, some very interesting alt versions and outtakes. In retrospect those DW sessions kicked off quite prolific period for Keith '85-
88 (DW, Hail, Hail Rock N Roll and TIC before resuming the Stones with SW sessions and tour).
13th August 2006 08:39 PM
gotdablouse Don't get me wrong, the UC and DW albums are ok (should have specified, "sucked in comparison"), and I listened to them countless times in their day, but their big problem though is that there's nothing terribly memorable on them, a problem they've had for a long time really. I don't think they've had anything vital to say for even longer, but the saving grace on most of Tattoo You was the music, really nice melodies and arrangements, filtered over time. A bit like what happened with Mick's WS for some reason as well as on B2B.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
13th August 2006 10:33 PM
Soldatti Keith said in the 90's: "we have buckets of unreleased stuff". It's time for a new TY style release again, at least.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)