ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Getty Images with very special thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie's Retirement Return to archive Page: 1 2
3rd August 2006 11:47 PM
Kilroy
quote:
jb wrote:
It is well known that this tour is their final worls tour...whether they perform again or not, there will be no more major tours, and by the way things are turning out, that's a good thing. They will be appreciated more as time moves on ....they simply have overstayed their welcome and the backlash , as evidenced by the sales this time, is a painfully clear message-enough is enough. It would be different if they had a hit song, a great album, or played in smaller , more intimate settings, but these grandiose tours have been milked(and for the most part incredibly successful) for the last time.

I hope your wrong.
And I disagree.
Thank you. O
verstayed who's welcome.
Cetainly not mine.
4th August 2006 07:29 AM
Steel Wheels They will be on the road forever. They are not retiring. All this speculation is messageboard masturbation.
4th August 2006 04:53 PM
erbissell the stones will play until they dont have an audience. Which is either when
A: CIA brainwaves hired by U2 brainwash all of us into hating them, or
B: When we all die they will be the last ones standing. accordint to robin williams their may be five cochroaches left over.

It kinda pisses me off, all of this speculation. Its just a restatement of what people have been saying for years. And so far it has never happened.

has anybody else seen that robin williams video?
I dont know how to post it so this is the location:
5th August 2006 08:40 AM
corgi37 I think my point is proved rather well. 1 15 year old fan, and some who "knows lots of young people who are passionate about them".

Yep, right there, solid gold proof its all over.

Actually, Charlie has quit the band every tour since 69!

Now, go to a U2 board and try to find a fan over 50! What a massive difference. What a totally different way to look after your fans!

But, to me, the biggest nails in the Stones coffin is
1. No studio record for 8 years.
2. No U.S. tour from 81-89. That saw the likes of Police, Springsteen, Jacko, Elton, Iron Maiden and of course, newer bands like Clash, U2, Rush & Disney on ice to raise the concert performance bar.
3. And yes, ticket prices. The band and their management like to claim its for the massive production. And, maybe, fair enough. But what fucking massive production did the Licks "Arena" show have? No, what makes the cost of tickets so high is they "invented" rock tour travel. The jets. The backstage home away from home. Charlie said in interviews for this tour, he's got something like 6 people always around him. And, he said to a reporter, for what?

THAT, THAT, THAT is why tickets cost so much. The fucking chefs. The hair/wig stylists. The gophers. The myriad of people to make sure each guitarist has his own picks. The dude who shapes the ice sculpture for the back stage reception area. The imported Quaills eggs to impress dignatries.

I recall a quote from a young guy from Rolling Stone mag in 81. He said "The light show wasnt as good as Rush, but they were ok". And i totally agree! I agreed then (well, when i saw the film). But, didnt the scrims look good? Those guitars and triangles sure didnt do a fucking lot after 20 seconds.

And no vid screen.

I even think 89-90 light show was pretty damn dull. VL was good. B2B looked good. Licks stadium show looked as dull as anything i have ever seen. This tour, sure looks fine, though i cant truly comment.

We Aussies got the crap stadium stage.
5th August 2006 10:38 AM
glencar corgi, you seem down. That's one of your weakest posts ever, mate...
5th August 2006 03:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Charlie retire??? WTF, he's been retired most of his life. It's not like playing drums in the Rolling Stones is a real job.
5th August 2006 03:32 PM
Moonisup PLEASE charlie! For the sake of the stones' legacy retire! please!

[Edited by Moonisup]
5th August 2006 10:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
We Aussies got the crap stadium stage.

That stage was straight from a gay parade. It looked ridiculous with the shining sun.
7th August 2006 05:26 PM
erbissell Shut the hell up everybody! First of all, U2's stage was pretty gay for vertigo.

30 foot flames are not gay. Hundreds of computer controlled synchronized lights are not gay. You guys are so damn negative.

Who else can you think of right now, that can attract over 1 million people to a foreign free concert, Headline a concert that has AC-DC on the bill, have metallica open for them, has a lead singer that runs a few hundred yards per song, a guitar player that can fall 15 meters out of a tree onto his head and still be able to play, Get away with playing a video of a naked black girl getting it on with the eiffel tower, and tour the whole damn world when they are in their 60's.

The fuckin stones rule the whole goddamn rock music industry. It would appreciate it if you guys stopped degrading them. The Rolling Stones are the origional anti-heros, the origional bad boys. And they still can rock a friggin football stadium. The Stones Rule!
[Edited by erbissell]
[Edited by erbissell]
7th August 2006 05:38 PM
Black and Blue
quote:
erbissell wrote:
Shut the hell up everybody! First of all, U2's stage was pretty gay for vertigo.

Yes, but nobody said that U2 stage show was good in the first place.

quote:
erbissell wrote:
Get away with playing a video of a naked black girl getting it on with the eiffel tower.

That Video was actually pretty tame IMO.
8th August 2006 02:35 AM
Zack
quote:
erbissell wrote:

The fuckin stones rule the whole goddamn rock music industry. It would appreciate it if you guys stopped degrading them. The Stones Rule!

Evan, you are a bright lad. Keep the faith.
8th August 2006 10:05 AM
tumbling dice
quote:
the good wrote:

This is not true. I know a lot of younger people who like the Stones.

This is not true ,the stones got a lot of young fans.I saw them in Rio,Argentina and in Hamburg in 2003 and the audience were very ecletic .It got kids of 15 and seniors of 60
11th August 2006 11:47 PM
erbissell I saw the stones in SF with a my friend who is 16. We saw a bunch of other kids our age, including some pretty hot chicks. I see tons of younger generation people with stones t-shirts. A girl in my class went with a bunch of her friends to see the stones in LA. Their is a HighSchool age Stones fanclub on Facebook.com. I can talk with tons of young fans their. They arent so damn negative on that board. I think the stones fanbase is actually getting younger as American youth are slowly moving more toward classic rock than shit like Eminem and Avril Lavigne.
I agree that ticket prices are a little high. But if people are willing to pay that much, why would they lower ticket prices? Jagger still has to pay for the Jerry Hall Incident... Dont even talk to me about the east coast stadiums that are half sold out. Tickets have only been on sale for a week. Regina sold out in hours.

I wont even start listing off friends I have that said, "wow dude, how the hell did you get tickets? I hope they come back to the west coast, man. I really want to see them before they quit!"
Ill say it once and I'll say it again: The stones rule the friggin world.
11th August 2006 11:48 PM
erbissell Oh yeah one more thing,
Their is no way that you are going to change my opinion on this topic. I could argue all day. (I have a twin brother).
[Edited by erbissell]
12th August 2006 12:15 AM
Steel Wheels The Stones retire everyday....to a nice room!

The Stones in America in Fall 06. Can't wait!
12th August 2006 04:21 AM
danielharris627
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

An important factor is their audience. Its diminishing rapidly. Just look at the "fans" on this board. So-called die hards who are sick to death of them. I should be so blase!

They have zero younger fans. Ok, some that think "some" songs are ok, but very, very few passionate fans.

Yeah I know what you mean about the young fans. I am 14 and I consider myself a very big, I know of no one else my age who likes them as much as I do. I know people who list them in their favourite bands list because they know that they are a big band and think that they might look cool thinking they like them. When they can barely name a song by them.
I know other people who think they are ok. But most of my friends hate them.
14th August 2006 01:16 PM
erbissell The stones are offering student discounts to try to encourage more young people to attend. tickets are like 30 bucks less for students, all you need is social security and student ID. Maybe I can convince my parents to drive me to LA too!
14th August 2006 01:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
erbissell wrote:
The stones are offering student discounts to try to encourage more young people to attend. tickets are like 30 bucks less for students, all you need is social security and student ID.

that brings the ticket price down to $420

I'm sure thats great news to college Stones fans everywhere
14th August 2006 02:01 PM
Joey

Nanky ?!?!

15th August 2006 10:55 AM
erbissell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

that brings the ticket price down to $420

I'm sure thats great news to college Stones fans everywhere

Actually I just looked again, you can get $75 seats in texas that are Lower level, closest to the floor. I paid 165 for those same seats in SF in 2005. 75$ isnt too bad. Thats like foo fighters front row. Oh well the stones rock.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)