ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Getty Images with very special thanks to Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie's Retirement Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st August 2006 11:36 AM
keefkid I know this has been a rumour for a while and not sure if this does much to confirm it or not but i just heard the dj on wmmr 93.3 in philly Pierre say that he is done, hanging up the sticks, after this tour...

anybody know anything more 'official'?

i dont think he would annouce something like that on the radio if he didnt have something official... but who knows...
1st August 2006 11:54 AM
Lethargy Even if true, Charlie, and the Stones, have too much class to announce this before or during a tour. It's just not their style.

It's certainly the buzz this time around. The stories of Keith having to beg him even to go out this time, etc. And Charlie has always said he's hated touring anyway; he must really hate it at age 65.

It won't be happy news, but I certainly can't fault the guy. He's given us 40+ years to date.
1st August 2006 11:55 AM
jb It is well known that this tour is their final worls tour...whether they perform again or not, there will be no more major tours, and by the way things are turning out, that's a good thing. They will be appreciated more as time moves on ....they simply have overstayed their welcome and the backlash , as evidenced by the sales this time, is a painfully clear message-enough is enough. It would be different if they had a hit song, a great album, or played in smaller , more intimate settings, but these grandiose tours have been milked(and for the most part incredibly successful) for the last time.
1st August 2006 11:56 AM
Joey

I love Charlie Watts .
1st August 2006 12:02 PM
Lethargy I love Joey.
1st August 2006 01:36 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
It is well known that this tour is their final worls tour...whether they perform again or not, there will be no more major tours, and by the way things are turning out, that's a good thing. They will be appreciated more as time moves on ....they simply have overstayed their welcome and the backlash , as evidenced by the sales this time, is a painfully clear message-enough is enough. It would be different if they had a hit song, a great album, or played in smaller , more intimate settings, but these grandiose tours have been milked(and for the most part incredibly successful) for the last time.

YOU ARE MEL GIBSON'S POSTER CHILD
1st August 2006 01:39 PM
jb
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I don't particularly care for you.
1st August 2006 02:41 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I do not particularly care for your avatar
2nd August 2006 07:28 AM
corgi37 JB told exactly the way i feel it. I think its the end, and i hope it is. There is no good reason to do another massive tour, unless its truly to say goodbye. They are pricing themselves out. And, Charlie retiring not with standing, i think they and Cohl are the last ones to realise it. I mean, shit, 1/2 & 3/4 filled stadiums! For the Stones! Thats....fucked.

An important factor is their audience. Its diminishing rapidly. Just look at the "fans" on this board. So-called die hards who are sick to death of them. I should be so blase!

They have zero younger fans. Ok, some that think "some" songs are ok, but very, very few passionate fans. The original fans are smacking into their 70's. And, if are physically capable to go to a show, probably wont because of cost, bridge games, and getting the purple die in their hair. And incontinence, of course.

I would hate for them to be slagged for having shit show sales. I would hate for them to have to cancel shows for lack of sales, or have to move them to a arena. It would be humiliating.

I cant see Ronnie hanging on for a next tour in 3 years time. I cant see him alive, to be truthful.

I dont mind if they go now. I want them to. I then can look forward to the release of all the hidden gold every Christmas! Hopefully, starting with Ladies & Gentlemen on dvd.

2nd August 2006 07:32 AM
glencar Charlie should do whatever he feels like.
2nd August 2006 07:36 AM
Angiegirl Josh & Corgi said it. Word.

(must try that purple 'die' sometime though, sounds exciting!)

[Edited by Angiegirl]
2nd August 2006 10:28 AM
polytoxic Josh & Corgi hit the mark dead on. Good thing they can still milk some small markets.
Josh, is this all spin or this on the level?:

REGINA (CP) - The Rolling Stones have decided to spend more time with their Saskatchewan fans.

Tour organizers for the aging rockers said Tuesday that a second show has been added Oct. 6 at Regina's Mosaic Stadium "due to overwhelming fan demand."

The Stones are already scheduled to play the prairie city on Oct. 8.

"Tickets ... sold out so rapidly that in order to accommodate Rolling Stones fans throughout Regina and Saskatchewan, the tour routing was changed to add an additional date to this tour," organizers said in a statement on the band's website.

Tickets for the Oct. 6 show go on sale this Friday.
2nd August 2006 10:41 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
JB told exactly the way i feel it. I think its the end, and i hope it is. There is no good reason to do another massive tour, unless its truly to say goodbye. They are pricing themselves out. And, Charlie retiring not with standing, i think they and Cohl are the last ones to realise it. I mean, shit, 1/2 & 3/4 filled stadiums! For the Stones! Thats....fucked.

An important factor is their audience. Its diminishing rapidly. Just look at the "fans" on this board. So-called die hards who are sick to death of them. I should be so blase!

They have zero younger fans. Ok, some that think "some" songs are ok, but very, very few passionate fans. The original fans are smacking into their 70's. And, if are physically capable to go to a show, probably wont because of cost, bridge games, and getting the purple die in their hair. And incontinence, of course.

I would hate for them to be slagged for having shit show sales. I would hate for them to have to cancel shows for lack of sales, or have to move them to a arena. It would be humiliating.

I cant see Ronnie hanging on for a next tour in 3 years time. I cant see him alive, to be truthful.

I dont mind if they go now. I want them to. I then can look forward to the release of all the hidden gold every Christmas! Hopefully, starting with Ladies & Gentlemen on dvd.

well-put, corgi!
2nd August 2006 10:46 AM
Black and Blue Did any of you hear that Charlie's on some magazine's best dressed list? (Seriously)
2nd August 2006 11:16 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Black and Blue wrote:
Did any of you hear that Charlie's on some magazine's best dressed list? (Seriously)

Yes - it was Vanity Fair. 10 Best Dressed. 5 men. 5 women. I didnt recognize any of the other names on the list. It was royalty types. The Prince of some island I never heard of...

he is an immaculate dresser. And the classiest person alive.
2nd August 2006 11:40 AM
Lethargy
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
JB told exactly the way i feel it. I think its the end, and i hope it is. There is no good reason to do another massive tour, unless its truly to say goodbye. They are pricing themselves out. And, Charlie retiring not with standing, i think they and Cohl are the last ones to realise it. I mean, shit, 1/2 & 3/4 filled stadiums! For the Stones! Thats....fucked.

It really could have been different. The reason they have half-filled stadiums, and the reason they have no youth following, is the ticket venues and prices. No 20 year old in his right mind is going to spend $400 on a ticket, let alone a ticket in a horrible stadium. Even hard cores like us are starting to ban shows under these conditions. In a nice arena maybe, but no way for a stadium.

All they needed to do was an arena-only (or at least arena-mostly) tour, and lower the prices a bit. Even if you examine it from a pure profit perspective, you can lower prices, increase attendence, and still make just as much money. An empty seat is a HUGE expense, and any high school economics student would identify the problem right away. But beyond the lame economic analysis they (Cohl? Mick?) have done on this one, it's also an insult to the fans.
2nd August 2006 11:41 AM
the good
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

They have zero younger fans. Ok, some that think "some" songs are ok, but very, very few passionate fans.

This is not true. I know a lot of younger people who like the Stones.
2nd August 2006 11:43 AM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Charlie should do whatever he feels like.

Smoke weed, hang out at his house and buy cars he doesn't drive!
Charlie is so cool...

2nd August 2006 07:59 PM
Steel Wheels Pierre Robert is by far and away the most die hard Grateful Dead fan on the planet. With that said, he doesn't know anything about the Stones, let alone have some magical pipeline into Charlie's life where he gets such major information.

FM Radio is dead. Pierre needs to go to Sirius.
3rd August 2006 01:27 AM
MidnightRambler I think we should all find comfort that what DJs say on the radio are only handed down reports that they find on websites and messageboards like here.

We here on RocksOff and other boards know more about what the Stones did, said, will do, and will say more than anyone.
3rd August 2006 04:25 AM
pdog
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
I think we should all find comfort that what DJs say on the radio are only handed down reports that they find on websites and messageboards like here.

We here on RocksOff and other boards know more about what the Stones did, said, will do, and will say more than anyone.

I predicted this!
3rd August 2006 11:38 AM
the good
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
Pierre Robert is by far and away the most die hard Grateful Dead fan on the planet. With that said, he doesn't know anything about the Stones, let alone have some magical pipeline into Charlie's life where he gets such major information.

FM Radio is dead. Pierre needs to go to Sirius.

What the hell are you talking about? Pierre is one of the world's biggest stones fans, and he knows all the band members. He has interviewed Mick and Keith several times.
3rd August 2006 11:40 AM
pdog
quote:
the good wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? Pierre is one of the world's biggest stones fans, and he knows all the band members. He has interviewed Mick and Keith several times.

I remember him on the radio from when I 13... He's still alive, good for him!
3rd August 2006 04:01 PM
Steel Wheels So Pierre has a magic pipeline of info from the boys in the band? Bullshit. He's a great DJ, one of my favorites, but he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to Charlie's "retirement."
3rd August 2006 04:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels As long as there's life there's hope. Some guy, can't remember who, said an artist creates their best work in their 20's and 70's.
3rd August 2006 04:51 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
So Pierre has a magic pipeline of info from the boys in the band? Bullshit. He's a great DJ, one of my favorites, but he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to Charlie's "retirement."

HE'S GAY, TALKS ABOUT COFFEE TOO MUCH AND THE DEAD SUCK
3rd August 2006 04:55 PM
RollingstonesUSA
3rd August 2006 08:21 PM
the good
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
So Pierre has a magic pipeline of info from the boys in the band? Bullshit. He's a great DJ, one of my favorites, but he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to Charlie's "retirement."

Haven't other sources been saying the same thing about Charlie?
3rd August 2006 10:33 PM
erbissell I am 15 years old and a true diehard rolling stones fan.
If anybody read "According to the Rolling Stones", then they will know that Charlie has resigned at the end of every tour since 1981 except the licks tour. I saw the stones one time in SF. Once is not enough. I want to go see them at the oakland coliseum, but the cost of good seats would make me broke, and my dad doesnt want to pay for another huge concert venture. I think the stones should do large arenas, and small stadiums, with open, general priced floor seating. You know, 150 bucks, first come first serve, no reserved seating. 50 bucks for mezzanine, and 20 bucks for 3rd tier.
Oh yeah, CHARLIE I LOVE YOU. (not in a gay way).
3rd August 2006 10:47 PM
erbissell One more comment,
This is a very depressing thread.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)