ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary - MSG, NYC October 16, 1992
Jeff Christensen
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do I really want remasters? Return to archive
08-15-02 07:20 AM
TT There�s a lot of talk on the remasters,
but I�m not quite sure if I really want them.
I�m listening to Stones music for 20 years now.
And during that the sound of the tracks (every hiss or click or whatever) and me became one, you know. I don�t know if I�m really keen on new sound for old recordings (HTW btw has the best drum sound ever). same goes with probable unreleased songs on a box set. I prefer Drift Away in its sound on my outtake CD instead of Don Was fucking around with it.
08-15-02 07:30 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
TT wrote:
I prefer Drift Away in its sound on my outtake CD instead of Don Was fucking around with it.

well, i only have the outtake of that on vinyl but i agree

as for remasters they are , imho, completely unavoidable now we are truly entrenched in the digital age ..'tho the only reason i don't play vinyl now is because i don't have a functional turntable

so if it's going to be done (which it is or has) then let's have it done right because when it isn't the results can be, and often are, abominable - for me, at least, i find the virgin remaster of SF almost unlistenable after having listened to the vinyl for gods knows how many years so i take your point but i think your view is a little blinkered
08-15-02 07:40 AM
beer I do have a copy of Mickboys Exile Remastered. Exile is by far my favorite album of all time. I did notice some real clarity on certain tracks that really blew my mind, not to mention the great out-takes that are included. BUT, maybe it's just my crappy CD player, but it seems that Keith's guitar got mixed down and the bass/ vocals got put way high in the mix. How can something by The Stones be made better by down-mixing Keef's guitar?? Again, maybe it's just my CD player, but does anyone else notice this?
08-15-02 07:49 AM
stonedinaustralia well beer, i don't think the tracks have been remixed just remastered but by hightening the clarity of the bass and drums the dynamics have been altered to a degree but the mix remains the same - as the liner notes say the source is an original atlantic vinyl pressing so there's no way he (mickboy) can really attack the mix too much ('tho in this day and age nothing would surprise me)... it's not as if he had the master tapes to fool around with

as i said before what makes it great for me is that now you can really hear what charlie's doing
08-15-02 10:16 AM
T&A The Mickboy releases have been way over-hyped, IMO. I detect few if any improvements - and I think I have a pretty damned good ear.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road