ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary - MSG, NYC October 16, 1992
Jeff Christensen
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Beatles Return to archive
08-13-02 12:25 AM
Soul Survivor I know the stones were a bit influenced by the beatles, but what inlfluence did the stones have on the beatles?
08-13-02 12:58 AM
Prodigal Son Well, that's a tough one. But I think the Beatles went more hard-edged in 1966 thanks to the Stones sound. "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" and non-Paul tracks off of Revolver have more influence from the Stones than any other album. Also, check out the bluesy stuff they tackle on the White Album. Hard-edged stuff that Lennon did later, like "Revolution," "Don't Let Me Down," "Come Together," "I Want You," "Dig a Pony," part of "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Yer Blues," "Sexy Sadie," and "Helter Skelter." But the Stones did more Beatley stuff circa Aftermath-BTB-TSMR.
08-13-02 06:34 AM
bez85 i grew up with both bands and love them both equally..but the stones were always in the Beatles shadow as long as The Beatles were together..The Beatles were more cutting edge than the Stones from 1963-1970..
08-13-02 12:16 PM
Mr T the Stones probably had more impact on the Beatles. The Beatles just made it OK for hte Stones to do what they were doing. They still would've done the same type of music - they just probably wouldn't have made it as big. It was the Stones' competition that forced the Beatles to evolve. Mucicians before the Beatles & Stones never evolved much. Elvis, Berry, etc still rode out the same tricks they were doing in the beginning - and my guess was the Beatles woul've stuck to the good old days of 1964 just the same had it not been for the Stones taking that style of music and putting a more bad ass edge to it.
08-13-02 01:55 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Well, that's a tough one. But I think the Beatles went more hard-edged in 1966 thanks to the Stones sound. "Paperback Writer" b/w "Rain" and non-Paul tracks off of Revolver have more influence from the Stones than any other album. Also, check out the bluesy stuff they tackle on the White Album. Hard-edged stuff that Lennon did later, like "Revolution," "Don't Let Me Down," "Come Together," "I Want You," "Dig a Pony," part of "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Yer Blues," "Sexy Sadie," and "Helter Skelter." But the Stones did more Beatley stuff circa Aftermath-BTB-TSMR.

Yah, I agree - "I Want You" is a tamer "Rambler", "Dig A Pony" even mentions the Stones - mocks 'em a bit, though - "I... Roll a Stoney, where you can imitate anyone you see...". "Come Together" goes back more to Chuck Berry than the Stones. "Yer Blues" definitely has the Stones influence - so much so Lennon did it for 'em on "R'N'R Circus". "I'm So Tired" sounds a bit like the Stones as well. The Stones let the Beatles get a little more edge into their sound, just as the Beatles put a little pop into the Stones - although that had decidedly mixed results. Everyone loves "Let's Spend The Night Together", but "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys"? "Yesterday's Papers"?

But Harrison and Brian Jones traded stuff for ages. "Paint It Black" - the evil counterpart to "Norweigan Wood", "You Know My Name" - Brian onna sax - nice sound there.

I think the Stones's stuff in the sixties is somewhat overshadowed by The Beatles - they felt like they were chasing them all the time, and that led them into bad songs as well as good. It wasn't until "Let It Bleed", when the Beatles were dying, that they really came out from under that umbrella of "British bands that are somewhat like the Beatles" that the Who had broken out of with "Tommy".

They both really worked on each other for the better though - The Beatles would sound far too dated and poppy without the Stones, just as the Stones would have been mired in obscurity trying to find the right blend of pop, rock and blues without the Beatles.

-tSYX --- Ronnie Ronnie, what have you done? You made a fool of everyone...

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road