ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
The bigger bang cubes

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Someone said Stones lyrics suck Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 14th, 2005 11:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Someone, a regular even, hinted here recently that Stones lyrics weren't quite up to scratch. I dunno. I alway put them up there with the best....Dylan, Beatles, etc. Mick is actually a GREAT lyrics writer. One of the best in the Business. ...In fact it's a gas!
August 14th, 2005 11:23 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Someone, a regular even, hinted here recently that Stones lyrics weren't quite up to scratch. I dunno. I alway put them up there with the best....Dylan, Beatles, etc. Mick is actually a GREAT lyrics writer. One of the best in the Business. ...In fact it's a gas!

That regular was Moonisup. But he is young. Please forgive him.
August 14th, 2005 11:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
That regular was Moonisup. But he is young. Please forgive him.

Oh. I see. That kid. Is he the guy that still thinks Chuck Leavell is a Rolling Stone? But you gotta admit the guy has a point. I think that the Stones doing a record without a Piano is an abomination. Stew does too....they ain't real Stones songs without a Piano. Right Stew????
August 14th, 2005 11:37 AM
Moonisup
quote:

Oh. I see. That kid. Is he the guy that still thinks Chuck Leavell is a Rolling Stone? But you gotta admit the guy has a point. I think that the Stones doing a record without a Piano is an abomination. Stew does too....they ain't real Stones songs without a Piano. Right Stew????

I SAID, please quote me correct and don't miss my point. But that can be hard, cos as a kid I'm smarter then you, that hurts.
I said: SINCE 1999 ( edited my post) the lyrics of the stones aren't that good. keys to your love? that other song? can't even remember the name.
I didn't all lyrics where bad, but a lot yeah
August 14th, 2005 11:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels You said the Stones lyrics suck. You qualified it afterwards. I did't even mention your name on my post, that other flake did. Jeez. But I wasn't trying to emphasize a negative. OK before 1999. What a drag it is getting old.
August 14th, 2005 11:54 AM
jb I'll go further, the Stones Lyrics have sucked since 89 with a few limited exceptions...they are creatively a non-factor...a great live band(at times) but nothing significant since Tattoo You ............
August 14th, 2005 11:55 AM
blackandblue Flake? Because you are old I'll forgive you.
August 14th, 2005 11:55 AM
blackandblue
quote:
jb wrote:
I'll go further, the Stones Lyrics have sucked since 89 with a few limited exceptions...they are creatively a non-factor...a great live band(at times) but nothing significant since Tattoo You ............

100 % true
August 14th, 2005 12:00 PM
jb
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

100 % true

I'm sure like me you love 'em and will defend them against "outsiders", but if we can'y be honest about them, who will be? I'm sure this tour will blow everyone away, and I hope the new album surprises me, but 24 yrs and I'm still waiting for a new anthem like SMU...and all I get is 'Don't Stop", "YGMR", and SOL????????????????? WTF!!!
August 14th, 2005 12:03 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
I'll go further, the Stones Lyrics have sucked since 89 with a few limited exceptions...they are creatively a non-factor...a great live band(at times) but nothing significant since Tattoo You ............

absolutely true
August 14th, 2005 12:05 PM
T&A they DO suck - how can you argue against that reality? Even a "serious" song like Neo Con (which I happen to strongly agree with politically) blows lyrically. Give me one example since '89 that demonstrates brilliance lyrically? ...thought so...you can't.
August 14th, 2005 12:05 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

absolutely true

You were my first friend here and remain so to this day!!!! Will you be coming stateside this tour? Airline fare is cheap and Euro strong!!!!
August 14th, 2005 12:09 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:

You were my first friend here and remain so to this day!!!! Will you be coming stateside this tour? Airline fare is cheap and Euro strong!!!!

No, I really have better things to do with my money then travel around to see the stones. I will see a few in Europe, but NEVER again 13 shows.
August 14th, 2005 12:11 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

No, I really have better things to do with my money then travel around to see the stones. I will see a few in Europe, but NEVER again 13 shows.

Catch a few shows and enjoy!!! They really were the greatest and at fleeting moments still are....but as they said themselves "Time waits for no one" and "I'm Losing My Touch"..................
August 14th, 2005 12:35 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Someone, a regular even, hinted here recently that Stones lyrics weren't quite up to scratch. I dunno. I alway put them up there with the best....Dylan, Beatles, etc. Mick is actually a GREAT lyrics writer. One of the best in the Business. ...In fact it's a gas!

The Stones lyrics are the best! We're talking about lyrics that have inspired God knows how many American criminals, those tattooed, toothless types you see lurking around places you want to just keep driving through. They all sit around saying, "Well, hell, if it's ok by Mick Jagger, I guess it's ok by me. I'll just go beat somebody's head in with a pool cue." Can a better litmus test for quality rock and roll lyrics even be developed?
August 14th, 2005 12:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Go back to your Macca records. With fans like you guys who needs enemies?
August 14th, 2005 12:49 PM
sirmoonie I don't have any Macca records.
August 14th, 2005 12:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
T&A wrote:
they DO suck - how can you argue against that reality? Even a "serious" song like Neo Con (which I happen to strongly agree with politically) blows lyrically. Give me one example since '89 that demonstrates brilliance lyrically? ...thought so...you can't.

The Stones haven't made but Voodoo Lounge and B2B since 1989. B2B sucks but VL will be around forever. the lyrics of I Go Wild alone should propel that record to the top 10. The problem with you Stones fans is that you're spoiled rotten....just like Theo, Alex and James. You've cried about not having a new record for years now....and now you've got it....you bitch. Ungrateful children.

August 14th, 2005 12:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I don't have any Macca records.

Well. God Bless Ya. You're not a complete asshole.
(Just joking.....I never thought that anyway....but it did cross my mind....once.)
August 14th, 2005 01:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Never thought I"d have to defend the Stones on their own message board but here goes.

Starfucker Lyrics

Baby, baby, I've been so sad since you've been gone
Way back to New York City
Where you do belong
Honey, I missed your two-tongue kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to Fun City, girl
I'm gonna make you scream all night

Honey, honey, call me on the telephone
I know you're movin' out to Hollywood
With your can of tasty foam
All those beat up friends of mine
Got to get you in their books
And lead guitars and movie stars
Get their tongues beneath your hood

Yeah! You're a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
Yeah, a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
A star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker star

Yeah, I heard about you Polaroid's
Now that's what I call obscene
Your tricks with fruit was kind a cute
I bet you keep your pussy clean
Honey, I miss your two tongue kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to New York, girl
Gonna make you scream all night

Yeah, Ali McGraw got mad with you
For givin' head to Steve McQueen
Yeah, and me we made a pretty pair
Fallin' through the Silver Screen
Honey, I'm open to anything
I don't know where to draw the line
Yeah, I'll make bets that you're gonna get
John Wayne before he dies

Yes you are

August 14th, 2005 01:06 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Never thought I"d have to defend the Stones on their own message board but here goes.

Starfucker Lyrics

is that written after 1999? NO
do those lyrics have anything to with my point? NO

So what point are you making here, by putting a song from 1973 here, when most of us are talking about a totally different era?
August 14th, 2005 01:07 PM
jb
quote:

Well. God Bless Ya. You're not a complete asshole.
(Just joking.....I never thought that anyway....but it did cross my mind....once.)

I think spoiled is a good term..but to me, it more disappointment than anything else.
August 14th, 2005 01:14 PM
the good I disagree that the Stones are a non factor creatively since 89. No, they are not the Stones of 1968, but get over it. From what I've heard so far, this album is going to be great. And some of you may not recognize the B2B is a really good album, but that's your problem. Saint of me is one of my top 20 stones songs. Beautiful tune. Yeah, they have gotten lax with the lyrics in recent years, but they can still do it. I think back of my hand is great lyrics wise, and the first couple lines of Rough Justice are classic.
August 14th, 2005 01:15 PM
T&A I'm just one of your cocks? Good lyrics? er...ah...hmmm....no.
August 14th, 2005 01:16 PM
Moonisup B2B is (IMO) their best album since tattoo you,
[Edited by Moonisup]
August 14th, 2005 01:27 PM
texile
quote:
jb wrote:

I'm sure like me you love 'em and will defend them against "outsiders", but if we can'y be honest about them, who will be? I'm sure this tour will blow everyone away, and I hope the new album surprises me, but 24 yrs and I'm still waiting for a new anthem like SMU...and all I get is 'Don't Stop", "YGMR", and SOL????????????????? WTF!!!

gospel to my ears.....jb - you should set up a revival tent for the preservation of righteous objectivity;
if i didn't care about the stones, i wouldn't give a shit about mediocrity - though i would give the stones some of undercover...and jagger HAS written some good lyrics in a HANDFUL of songs in the last 25 years: out of focus, sad sad sad, don't call me up - there is something strange about these songs also.....he drops that insidious voice and sings like mick jagger USED to sing when he gave a shit.
why are these songs an anomaly? why does he only care on certain songs?
August 14th, 2005 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
I think spoiled is a good term..but to me, it more disappointment than anything else.

Why disappointed? You can't be Billy the Kid forever, can you? If it weren't for the Stones alot of these kids would never have heard of Rock n Roll. really I don't mind running down the Stones....but I do think that future history books will show that we owe these guys a great debt. I think they're greater than a footnote in a history book. I mean eternally important. That important. Dylan too. Beatles too. "They" can have their wars. "We" will have our parties and acid tests....And our Doors and Jefferson Airplanes, and our Grateful Deads. And our Rolling Stones. And the Train it won't stop going...no way to slow down.............

August 14th, 2005 01:56 PM
jb
quote:

Why disappointed? You can't be Billy the Kid forever, can you? If it weren't for the Stones alot of these kids would never have heard of Rock n Roll. really I don't mind running down the Stones....but I do think that future history books will show that we owe these guys a great debt. I think they're greater than a footnote in a history book. I mean eternally important. That important. Dylan too. Beatles too. "They" can have their wars. "We" will have our parties and acid tests....And our Doors and Jefferson Airplanes, and our Grateful Deads. And our Rolling Stones. And the Train it won't stop going...no way to slow down.............

What about the Bee Gees?
August 15th, 2005 10:06 AM
Scottfree
quote:
T&A wrote:
they DO suck - how can you argue against that reality? Even a "serious" song like Neo Con (which I happen to strongly agree with politically) blows lyrically. Give me one example since '89 that demonstrates brilliance lyrically? ...thought so...you can't.

Blinded by Love--hits pretty deep
New Faces

Oh and certainly can't forget, "Sharks will cry"
August 15th, 2005 10:18 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

Blinded by Love--hits pretty deep
New Faces

Oh and certainly can't forget, "Sharks will cry"

I don't get it...don't sharks have feelings too? LOL
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)