ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
The bigger bang cubes

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Resident of Jagger Court wants street name changed Return to archive
August 14th, 2005 03:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Resident of Jagger Court
wants street name changed

Virginia Beach latest protest venue
against Mick's anti-American soapbox
WorldNetDaily.com / Sunday August 14, 2005

A resident of Virginia Beach's Jagger Court, a street named in honor of the lead singer of the Rolling Stones in the 1970s, is demanding the city change the name once again in protest of the aging rockers' latest song blasting American war efforts in Iraq.

French D. Mackes Jr. today wrote to the mayor and other city officials of the Virginia town asking for the street name change because of the imminent release of the song "My Sweet Neo-con," a song he describes as "anti-American" and "anti-Christian."

"Despite any possible denials, the profane lyrics of this song clearly attack the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of the United States of America," he writes. "America is bravely fighting the war on terrorism."

Mackes' suggestion for a new street name is Pat Tillman Avenue, in honor of the National Football League star who lost his life fighting in Afghanistan. Mackes also wrote to NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, asking him "not to partner with the Rolling Stones for the upcoming season."

"Mick Jagger clearly enjoys playing the part of the devil and profits immensely from it," wrote Mackes. "This old devil's attack against America is despicable."

The Virginia Beach area is home to a large Navy air station in Oceana.

"Now is the time for the City of Virginia Beach to further demonstrate its support of our military forces by taking the step of renaming Jagger Court after one of America's true heroes," wrote Mackes.

Jagger denies the song is an attack on President Bush. But the song clearly takes aim at conservatives in the Bush administration who were the driving force behind the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

While the expletive-laden lyrics are extremely critical of the so-called "neo-cons," Jagger insists they are not aimed directly at the president.

"It certainly criticizes policies he espouses, I'm sure," Jagger said.

Guitarist Keith Richards, who lives in the U.S., has expressed fears about a possible backlash in the U.S. just as the band's latest extensive tour is about to begin.
August 14th, 2005 04:22 AM
Poplar
good lord...
August 14th, 2005 04:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
While the expletive-laden lyrics are extremely critical of the so-called "neo-cons," Jagger insists they are not aimed directly at the president.

"expletive-laden lyrics"
??????????? huh?
Not having heard the song I don't know, but I doubt that's the case. According to the lyrics on the other thread that's just not so.
August 14th, 2005 05:05 AM
egon "FRENCH D. Mackes Jr. today wrote..."

Why didn't he change HIS name...?
August 14th, 2005 05:12 AM
Monkey Woman You beat me to it, egon!

Well, "expletive-laden" is maybe making a lot of fuss because of the word "s--t", uttered twice in the song.
August 14th, 2005 05:59 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
"FRENCH D. Mackes Jr. today wrote..."

Why didn't he change HIS name...?

shoot this fucking french and basta!!
August 14th, 2005 06:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Well, "expletive-laden" is maybe making a lot of fuss because of the word "s--t", uttered twice in the song.

Oh. Thanks for the warning. When I buy the album, I'll know enough to skip that track now. Don't want to defile my virgin ears.
August 14th, 2005 08:28 AM
lotsajizz that's the mentality engendered by the far right wingers, the mentality exhibited by those strawmen erectors and fake Stones fans
August 14th, 2005 08:47 AM
Gazza this is now getting totally surreal and more retarded by the day

I'm just surprised they havent been holding bonfires yet where you can burn your Stones records...
August 14th, 2005 09:16 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Gazza wrote:
this is now getting totally surreal and more retarded by the day

I'm just surprised they havent been holding bonfires yet where you can burn your Stones records...

There will be when the album is in the record stores and everyone has listened to Sweet Neocon!
August 14th, 2005 09:25 AM
Gazza this could end up being the biggest selling Stones album ever

It'll be bought by millions of rednecks just so they can burn it

Brilliant marketing strategy by the Stones and Cohl yet again!!
August 14th, 2005 09:28 AM
Dutch Michael D. Stupid americans !!!! hahahahaha LOL fucking hell, they take that song too serious, i don't like that president either... fucking hell....
August 14th, 2005 09:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
Stupid americans !!!!

Uh? Stupid? No. You must have us confused with the ---'s. We've lost 2000 cannon fodder "over there" this time around. 2000. That's alot of soldier meat....95% of them under 25...2000 units of nameless, forgotten soldier meat. I don't think their families would a like to be called stupid though.
August 14th, 2005 10:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
Stupid americans !!!! hahahahaha LOL fucking hell, they take that song too serious, i don't like that president either... fucking hell....

uh...I wasnt condemning the whole nation in my post, Michael, just a few morons...
August 14th, 2005 10:15 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Uh? Stupid? No. You must have us confused with the ---'s. We've lost 2000 cannon fodder "over there" this time around. 2000. That's alot of soldier meat....95% of them under 25...2000 units of nameless, forgotten soldier meat. I don't think their families would a like to be called stupid though.

but many are, and only a fool would deny it....you are also wrong on the average ages....unlike Vietnam which was fought by 19 year olds, this war is fought by the National Guard and reservists...the average age is way too high and too many guys in their 30's, 40's, and even 50's are KIA over there---now calling a policy 'stupid' is not calling everyone associated with the implementation of that policy 'stupid'--yet another right wing strawman--the likes of Maxlugar and bloozehound would rather argue what they wish was said rather than what was actually said
August 14th, 2005 10:36 AM
Dutch Michael D.
quote:
Gazza wrote:

uh...I wasnt condemning the whole nation in my post, Michael, just a few morons...

allright, some stupid americans out there in verginia.
i do have a lot of respect for those guys in the american army who gave their lives for freedom and peace, you know.... maybe i was too rude, i'm sorry, but some americans like the people from the Jagger Court are just nuts... i read, see, and hear crazy things about some people in the states, but on the other hand americans think dutch people are nuts. i don't care as long as we all love the stones and their music , we're all the same... one big ahppy family.

with love from Holland !!!

ciao
August 14th, 2005 12:28 PM
sirmoonie How did Jagger get a street named after him in Virginia Beach, VA?

Hmmmmm.......I feel a personal crusade coming on for my next home owner's association meeting.

Developing......
August 14th, 2005 09:54 PM
Steel Wheels How about we burn down the fucking street and every house on Jagger Road?

That way they don't have to deal with it anymore.

Oak Ridge Avenue is a good name....
August 15th, 2005 12:28 AM
Child of the Moon Huh... interesting story, indeed. Nice to know the Stones can still stir up som shit, even if it is stupid shit.
August 15th, 2005 12:50 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
this is now getting totally surreal and more retarded by the day

it sure is - looks like the stones are determined to go out the way they came in - causing no end of controversy and "bad" press

as for the bonfires, it seems it is only a matter of time

it's hilarious and ridiculous
August 15th, 2005 12:58 AM
beer SIA. you got a good signature. The absolute peak of that documentary, music aside of course.

-
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)