ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
The bigger bang cubes

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: “Stoned” Film Review Return to archive
August 13th, 2005 04:56 AM
stewed & Keefed http://www.screendaily.com

Stoned

Mike Goodridge in Los Angeles 10 August 2005

Dir: Stephen Woolley. UK. 2005. 102mins.

Veteran UK producer Stephen Woolley makes an accomplished directorial debut with Stoned, an absorbing portrait of Brian Jones, the founding member of The Rolling Stones, and the events surrounding his death on July 2, 1969. Rich in period atmosphere and music, the film possesses the same knowing style and historical intrigue as Scandal and Backbeat, both of which Woolley produced.

Like those titles, Stoned should cause a stir in theatrical markets (it is pencilled in for a November 11 release in the UK), especially given the publicity that will be generated by its rock legend subject, the salacious alleged murder at its heart and the enduring popularity of the Stones themselves who have a new CD and tour which kicks off later this month.

Playing at a slew of film festivals this season – it enjoys a world premiere at Edinburgh, followed by Toronto, San Sebastian, Rio De Janeiro, Dinard and Stockholm – Stoned will pick up attention wherever it screens, setting tongues to wagging and journalists to scribbling.

Based on three books published in the 1990s, the film explores the last three months of Jones’ life in which Frank Thorogood, the builder renovating his country pile, developed a close relationship with his new boss and was present the night when he drowned in his swimming pool. Both Thorogood and Jones had been taking large quantities of drugs and alcohol. A verdict of death by misadventure was recorded at the time.

In 1993, on his deathbed, Thorogood allegedly confessed that he murdered Jones. The subsequent books, including one by Jones’ Swedish girlfriend Anna Wohlin, who was also at the house on the fateful night, all asserted that the death was not accidental.

Playing Thorogood and proving again that he is one of the UK’s most compelling actors is Paddy Considine, this time sporting a thick London accent. A veteran of World War II, Thorogood was a fairly straight fellow who lived a dreary life in post-war suburbia.

When his best friend, the slick, dubious Stones manager Tom Keylock (Morrissey) enlists him to supervise some home improvements at Cotchford Farm, the East Sussex house where Jones (Gregory) lives, Thorogood is reluctant to take on the job and immediately resistant to the neuroses and apparent helplessness of the rock star.

Slowly, however, he becomes intoxicated by Jones’ charisma, sexual magnetism and louche lifestyle. Despite continuous mockery and taunts from Jones and his entourage, Thorogood proves a dependable housekeeper, cook and friend, and even becomes sexually enamoured of his boss.

But Jones, who had long since stopped working with the band and was burning through money fed him by the Stones organisation with increasing resistance, never treats his builder as anything more than a glorified servant.

Jones himself is cursed by a lack of work ethic and self-discipline, some extreme sexual peccadillos and an increasing propensity to self-destruction. Although the unquestioned guiding hand behind the creation and musical direction of the Stones, he was fired from the band shortly before his death and had lost the love of his life Anita Pallenberg (Mazur) to Keith Richards (Whishaw).

The film is most beguiling as a portrait, never more relevant than in today’s celebrity-obsessed popular culture, of that mysterious star quality possessed by figures like Jones and the allure it holds for the people around them. The glamour, affluence and sexual shenanigans of the famous are in this case dangerously bewitching to the common man.

The chief shortcoming with the film lies in its narrative structure. As scripted by Robert Wade and Neil Purvis, Stoned attempts to tell the history (in flashback) of Jones and the band’s rise to fame, in parallel with the Jones/Thorogood story.

While the Jones/Stones background gives context to the Jones character, it distracts from the Jones/Thorogood story which in itself is more dramatic. Likewise the film’s point of view veers between Jones and Thorogood, who is arguably – ironically - a more fascinating character.

Woolley displays a second-nature grasp of his camera and his actors and pulls off some memorable scenes, notably one in which Wohlin (Novotny) is goaded by Jones to seduce Thorogood as well as the tense climactic build-up to the drowning.

Leo Gregory, a young English actor with upcoming credits including Green Street Hooligans and Tristan And Isolde, is generally successful at creating a seductive character in the amoral Jones, a former public school boy who commanded the respect of his musical peers like Hendrix and Lennon before his death at the age of 27.

The director did not enlist the participation of the surviving Stones in the production, and ensures that Richards and Mick Jagger are secondary characters with little part to play in the downward spiral of Jones’ life.

Like with The Beatles in Backbeat, there is no Stones music on the soundtrack; instead the film effectively employs the blues standards which were covered by the Stones in Jones’ time as well as other classics of the period like White Rabbit, Lazy Sunday Afternoon and Time Is On My Side.

Production companies
Audley Films
Number 9 Films
Finola Dwyer Productions
Scala Films

International sales
Intandem Films

UK distribution
Vertigo Films/Intandem

Executive producers
Paul White
Gary Smith

Co-executive producers
Andrew Brown
Nik Powell

Producers
Finola Dwyer
Stephen Woolley

Screenplay
Robert Wade
Neal Purvis
based on and inspired by Paint It Black by Geoffrey Giuliano, Who Killed Christopher Robin? by Terry Rawlings and The Murder Of Brian Jones by Anna Wohlin

Cinematography
John Mathieson

Production design
John Beard

Editor
Sam Sneade

Music
David Arnold

Main cast
Leo Gregory
Paddy Considine
David Morrissey
Ben Whishaw
Tuva Novotny
Amelia Warner
Monet Mazur
David Walliams

August 13th, 2005 05:24 AM
corgi37 Sounds as crap as i thought it would be.
August 13th, 2005 08:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Sounds as crap as i thought it would be.

? It doesn't sound THAT bad.
August 13th, 2005 12:50 PM
HellsRollingThunder Oh brother, that movie sounds like it is WAY off base as far as
Frank Thorogood becoming "sexually enamoured" with his boss,
and Brian wanting Anna to go to bed with Frank. Where in the
hell did Woolley come up with that crap? I have nearly every book
on Brian with the Stones that I have been able to get my hands on
and I have NEVER read that. Frank and Tom Keylock were
old school chums and both were exploiting Brian Jones to the
best of their ability. In my opinion I believe they both HATED Brian
and were jealous of him. That article is so full of holes you could
use it as a sieve. If that is what the movie is going to say and present I am NOT going to see it.
August 13th, 2005 04:38 PM
Monkey Woman Where did Woolley get all his "woolly" ideas on Brian? All that I've read about this film makes it look like he tried to remake "Performance". Only using the ghost of Brian Jones instead of a very alive Mick Jagger...
August 14th, 2005 06:54 PM
nowhere_girl12 Wow, I thought the movie sounded okay from all the other articles I've read on it. I mean, I actually enjoyed 'Backbeat' so I thought I could stomach this one. But after reading that.... no. That makes it sound very bad.
August 15th, 2005 09:35 AM
Helmut Can someone repost or give us the link of the photographs from the film?
August 15th, 2005 02:17 PM
stewed & Keefed http://www.intandemfilms.com/
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)