ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
The bigger bang cubes

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sweet Neo Con Lyrics Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 12th, 2005 09:50 PM
Surround Sister Right on!
August 12th, 2005 10:10 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
going by ONNYA's lyrics, had he written Sympathy in 2005, Mick would have ended that with "while the blitzkrieg raged, I had a WANK"

LMAO! A Bigger Bang for sure!
August 12th, 2005 10:36 PM
Zulu Fun Mix The lyrics are, indeed, gutter-like and uninspiring. They're disappointing compared not only to "Sympathy," but even to "Highwire." Part of that might be, as Glencar suggests, reflective of the nature of contemporary American "political debate:" stupid sound bites, cutting jabs, senseless slash-and-burn attacks. People use simplistic "bad" language to vent anger. Think of gangsters. It's verbal or symbolic violence, the spewing of hostility. In this case, it can be seen as a response to the actual violence of the lying powers-that-be.

Despite--actually, because of--all this, the song will still play well at clubs. Have you ever heard the lyrics of those songs played at dance clubs? These fit right in. 20-somethings will eat it up.
August 12th, 2005 10:45 PM
Angiegirl Never heard ANY Stones in a dance club. I usually hear dance. Or techno. Or tribal. Or... well, not Stones. Studio 54 is dead no?
August 12th, 2005 11:08 PM
T&A the way I look at it - if you're gonna write a set of cheap lyrices - the least you can do is put these neo-con bastards in their place. Nice job, Mickey....
August 13th, 2005 01:37 AM
Zack Banal, sure but they are funny as hell. That aspect gives him plausible deniability when he's called out for them.
August 13th, 2005 01:54 AM
Bloozehound are mick's hats very nutritious ?
August 13th, 2005 02:53 AM
the good These lyrics are innane. Its incredible that the guy who wrote Sympathy for the Devil would produce such nonsense. And yes, Mick will be eating his hat. Still love him though.
August 13th, 2005 03:46 AM
ListenToTheLion Nothing wrong with these lyrics. Unless you think She Was Hot has intellectual satisfying lyrics of course.

BTW: the power of the Stones has never been their lyrics (with a few exceptions)
August 13th, 2005 04:13 AM
stonedinaustralia but never forget , one of the greatest lyrics in the history of rock and roll runs:

awopbopaloobob alopbamboom

considering lyrics outside their musical context is rarely a good idea

if the music suits, the track could still work mightily

the reference to "police in my bedroom" reminds me of keith's toronto bust
August 13th, 2005 06:30 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Stones are back with a big bang with this one

YES THEY'LL BE "BACK NEXT SEASON WITH A BANG"
TIE ME UP (THE PAIN OF LOVE)
August 13th, 2005 07:08 AM
Doxa Well, then came the day when a lyrics of a Rolling Stones song were taken out of the context ad scrutizined with the highest literature demands (and even before hearing the SONG). C'mon, people, if you do that to any Rolling Stones song, 99% of them will be naive, stupid, cheap rhyming (and sometimes not even that) bull; yeah, "Sympathy" might have been a expection, and maybe few others as well, but rest of that is pure crap in terms of poetry. If someone would come with a new never heard song called "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and write the lyrics over here, bold and naked, I suppose the critic's section wouldn't be very convinced here, right?

But then again, put those more or less banal lyrics into mouth of Jagger, let the band swing the background.. then we are wittnessing art!

- Doxa

[Edited by Doxa]
[Edited by Doxa]
August 13th, 2005 07:20 AM
Doxa "Making it rhyme? We don't need to worry about making it rhyme." - Mick Jagger, sometimes sucking in the 70's.

- Doxa
August 13th, 2005 07:34 AM
JaggerLips Couldn't care less this song is going to be hot!!!
August 13th, 2005 08:00 AM
throbby >but never forget , one of the greatest lyrics in the history of rock and roll runs:

SIA! Well said!
August 13th, 2005 08:36 AM
PartyDoll MEG Doxa--You speak Truth!!! Have you ever tried to read the lyrics to the Stones catalog without the great guitars, the pounding beat, and the "State of the Art" lead vocalist- I have and I suggest you skip it!!! To me it is very simple- its about the music and if you concentrate on a few "banal" lyrics you miss the whole experience. My two cents worth on this overblown hysteric subject. We are sounding just as idiotic as those two guys from FOX news on Thursday! (Heaven forbid!)
August 13th, 2005 08:40 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
but never forget , one of the greatest lyrics in the history of rock and roll runs:

if the music suits, the track could still work mightily

The bird is the WORD.
August 13th, 2005 08:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

"sheer profundity" (or is that shear profundity? )
August 13th, 2005 08:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The bird is the WORD.

SURFIN' BIRD
(Frazier - White - Harris - Wilson)
THE TRASHMEN (GARRETT 4002, 1963)

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a...

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody's talking about the bird!
A-well-a bird...

Surfin' bird
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb... [retching noises]... aaah!

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-
Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-oom-oom-oom
Oom-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-a-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Well don't you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!

[repeat to fade]

August 13th, 2005 09:29 AM
Moonisup it's a pitty, cos most stones lyrics after 1999 suck big time, keys in your ass, that shit

I think the music is OK, but lyrics are a bit childish

I'm all yellow, bla bla jellow while staring at your tit
[Edited by Moonisup]
August 13th, 2005 09:32 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
it's a pitty, cos most stones lyrics suck big time, keys in your ass, that shit

I think the music is OK, but lyrics are a bit childish

I'm all yellow, bla bla jellow while staring at your tit

Don't forget our younger fans! They want lyrics they understand!
August 13th, 2005 09:36 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
it's a pitty, cos most stones lyrics suck big time,

That's absurd.
August 13th, 2005 09:38 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

That's absurd.

oh I forgot to add: after 1999!
sorry
August 13th, 2005 09:53 AM
stonedinaustralia thank you nasty, thank you throbby,thank you ttm and thank you ladies and gentlemen

but most of all:

tutti frutti all rootie!!
August 13th, 2005 09:54 AM
blackandblue
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

tutti frutti all rootie!! awopbopaloobob alopbamboom

Maybe you should take these balls out of your mouth!
[Edited by blackandblue]
August 13th, 2005 10:24 AM
the good
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Doxa--You speak Truth!!! Have you ever tried to read the lyrics to the Stones catalog without the great guitars, the pounding beat, and the "State of the Art" lead vocalist- I have and I suggest you skip it!!! To me it is very simple- its about the music and if you concentrate on a few "banal" lyrics you miss the whole experience. My two cents worth on this overblown hysteric subject. We are sounding just as idiotic as those two guys from FOX news on Thursday! (Heaven forbid!)

I disagree. Mick can write great lyrics when he wants to. I always thought he was very, very, under rated as a lyricist, and that a lot of the Stones material from the 60's and 70's is very solid as far as lyrics go. Concerning the new material, I think back of my hand has the best lyrics of what I have heard so far. Creepy, haunting, and dark.
August 13th, 2005 10:51 AM
Gazza absolutely correct

To write the significance of the Stones' lyrics off as inconsequential throughout the years is doing them a dissservice and underestimating their cultural impact.

You dont have to write like Bob Dylan to still be a talented lyricist.

Ok, if you look at them on the printed page separated from the music, its not exactly Keats or Frost, but as far as rock n roll lyrics go, they dont have to be.

However, I'd still expect them to be streets ahead of what the average 14 year old armed with a rhyming dictionary would be capable of.
August 13th, 2005 10:58 AM
caro
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
but never forget , one of the greatest lyrics in the history of rock and roll runs:

I mostly agree, though "awopbopaloobob alopbamboom" is way cool, even in written form!
Still, with a subject like that, I wish they had come up with less insipid lyrics. It's kind of sad to make a political song that can be laughed off with a shrug, when you're a brilliant guy like Mick (and it's especially sad when he's defending an opinion I share, sigh!). I'm not talking about "highest literature demands" here, that's not the point. But I've always preferred the Stones songs where the lyrics were a little more intricate and twisted -- it reflects on the music (and vice versa).
August 13th, 2005 11:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You dont have to write like Bob Dylan to still be a talented lyricist.

Ok, if you look at them on the printed page separated from the music, its not exactly Keats or Frost, but as far as rock n roll lyrics go, they dont have to be.

Plus genius-talent sometimes goes unrecognized. I mean the guy who wrote the lyrics to that great limerick..."There once was a man from Nantucket..." probably never made a dime on it and is buried in some unmarked grave on Boot Hill. Sad.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
August 13th, 2005 11:14 AM
glencar To go from the lyrical brilliance displayed throughout their career to this political tripe is hard to watch. It's funny because I like the music & the vocals but OY! the lyrics kill, whether or not you agree with the content.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)