ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones in Utrechtse Vredenburg. 16 August, 2003 (ANP)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor in Kitchener Aug 8th 2003 Return to archive
08-09-03 11:12 AM
PaulinCanada Mick played at the Blues festival last night.

We met Mick backstage as he arrived last night, he was very obliging, signed a couple of LP covers I had, first solo album and a John Mayall one. He signed my Stratocaster and a friend's as well. I shook his hand and told him he was the guitar player (I don't think he was impressed by that!).

His playing was in a word awesome. I don't want to start a RW vs MT debate, but having seen Woody play several times throughtout the past year, he doesn't hold a candle to MT. MT still has his chops, no doubt.

Mick played a red sunburst Les Paul with a small Fender Blues Master amp and a Marshall amp. He also played a Strat in open E tuning for No Expectations.

The highlight for me was a blues tune that he played with just the keyboard player....fantastic. His tone, vibtrato is unbelievable....I am stunned by his abilities. He needs a band like the Stones to showcase his talent!

Plus, you can actually hear MT play, unlike Woody, whose guitar is buried so deep in the mix you need a shovel to dig it up.

Put MT back on guitar, put Woody on bass, and we'd have a real rock n roll, blues band again, and not the Chuck Leavall lounge band performing the Stones!
08-09-03 11:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanbks for the review, do you remember the setlist? Do you know if someone recorded it?
08-09-03 12:26 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy How can you tell that Ronnie doesn't hold a candle up to Taylor if you can't fucking hear him in the mix, he's buried so deep under layers of annoying lounge singers and Chuck Leavell's Wall Of Clunk? I think both of them are quite awesome guitarists. One of them gets heard and the other one doesn't, that's all. I must humbly point you to "All Down The Line" when making any claims of Ronnie sucking. That guy destroys that song with a kind of fury Taylor never really had, although he did do quite a few awesome live versions himself.

I wanted to see Taylor really bad, though. Glad you got a chance to. I was up in Canada this summer, there were posters all over but I was there at the wrong time! Does he seem in good spirits?

Do you think we can get him to run for governor of California?

-tSYX --- Time waits for no one, no favors has he...
08-09-03 01:30 PM
Martha Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood are totally different guitar players...there is no comparing the two men. They do what they do. never the twain shall meet. I, for one, would LOVE to see Mick rejoin the Stones for a show or two...just to hear that gorgeous sound he makes...like no one else can, IMHO.

I have nothing against Ronnie I LOVE him too...he's a blast and he suits the personality of the Stones to a tee. AND it would be nice to have him turned up in the mix..I agree wholeheartedly with that assessment. I wonder how the Ronnie Rod Stewart summer 2004 tour is shaping up? It will be interesting to see how Ronnie is featured in that mix. Does anyone have the scoop on this tour?

I have never seen Mick Taylor live before and must...so I thank you for the nice little personalized review and welcome you to the board! Nice post. :-)

martha

"you left me standing...in the doorway crying....in the dark land of the sun...."
08-09-03 01:30 PM
PaulinCanada HOw can I tell that RW can't hold a candle to MT? Watch RW on the stage or vdieo screen, when he isn't busy lighting a cigarette or paying with one he's playing superfluous little fills that have nothing to do with the songs. Trust me and watch him.....the only time you ever hear RW is during a solo like on Dont Stop....

Listen RW was a great guitarist at one time....but he is a shadow of his former self....MT still has it.
08-09-03 01:41 PM
PaulinCanada Secret Affair
Twisted Sister
Late At Night
Blind Willie McTell
Alabama
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

ENcore
No Expectations

There were more songs, just can't remember them....not sure if it was recorded, It would have been easy, little or no security. I was really pissed off as half way to the gig I realized I forgot my new very good digital camera! There were all sorts of people there with cameras, no hassles from the staff..

Saw Toronto TOm there as well....
08-09-03 05:49 PM
Staffan I saw him two years ago, sat at the table closest to the stage, only 4 metres from him and no one in front of me. I recorded the show with a MiniDisc and a good microphone, which I had on the table. The staff saw it, but didn't care. Maybe even Mick saw it! It's one of the best audience recordings I''ve ever heard. I don't want to be a boaster, but this is an EX recording!
08-10-03 03:30 AM
Bluzian Staffan,

Was that MT show you aforemention that was "four years ago"
was it in Syracuse at the blues Fest??? Because I was THERE
at that one!!

If you have got a recording of that show, brother, please!!
I would kill for a copy of it. I vividly remember him doing
this wah-wah/slide combo solo that nearly made me cream my
jeans it was so intense!!!

Yes, MT is less about show and more about skill. He is class
all the way. Too bad he cant' sing better though. Hmph.

Cheers man.
Ian in Guelph
08-10-03 08:53 AM
Lazy Bones Friday night's show in Kitchener was excellent. "Awesome", as Paul put it, was quite accurate. Even greater than that, was believing that Mick was playing here! Last year, I had tickets to see him at London's Bluefest that he became a no-show for. Rumour had it was because of border problems. Regardless, it was finally nice to see him, better yet, locally.

Unfortunately, there was problems with the stage amps most of the night which clearly frustrated Mick song after song. I'm also quite positive that the mic stand he used wasn't his standard one as he bumped it and missed numerous vocal cues as a result of looking up to sing and not realizing where the mic was.

Secret Affair, Blind Willie McTell and No Expectations were my highlights.

After the show he stuck around for autographs and pictures despite a performance that he was clearly upset about. Not the playing, but the stage amps. Here in the Waterloo Region, we have a smoking by-law that prohibits smoking from all in-door facilities like restaurants, bars, bingo halls, bus shelters, etc. At one point early in the show, Mick wasn't receiving the volume he wanted so he made the over-apparent effort in lighting up a cigarette to metaphorically say fuck you! After a few drags, he made his way out of view at stage right as someone convinced him to put it out.

Toronto Tom sent me some pictures he took at the show. Gerardo, I'll send them to you and would appreciate it if you could post them in this thread?! Thx!
08-10-03 09:31 AM
Martha
quote:
Staffan wrote:
I saw him two years ago, sat at the table closest to the stage, only 4 metres from him and no one in front of me. I recorded the show with a MiniDisc and a good microphone, which I had on the table. The staff saw it, but didn't care. Maybe even Mick saw it! It's one of the best audience recordings I''ve ever heard. I don't want to be a boaster, but this is an EX recording!

Staffan I would love to get a copy of your boot please PM if you are willing to share. I have many things to trade and more shows coming to me all the time. At this time though, I have nothing of MT's and NEED to hear this man doin' what only he can do! Your kindness is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
08-10-03 09:45 AM
PaulinCanada Yes Mick was having problems that night, not with his playing but with amps, mikes etc.

When he walked onto the stage for the first time, with his Les Paul around his neck he tried to adjust the mike stand for height and the Les Paul just about dropped on the floor, luckily he caught it!

There were no problems with his playing!
08-10-03 12:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

08-10-03 12:50 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks, chief!
08-10-03 12:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl On the contrary, thanks to you and Tom.
08-10-03 02:19 PM
Lazy Bones He also played Blues In The Morning.
08-10-03 06:35 PM
Staffan
quote:
Bluzian wrote:
Staffan,

Was that MT show you aforemention that was "four years ago"
was it in Syracuse at the blues Fest??? Because I was THERE
at that one!!

Hi,
No, I'm afraid not. I live in Sweden, and have never been in Syracuse! There are people that have MANY Taylor bootlegs, try and see if the guy behind the Time waits for no one site has it...
http://micktaylor.free.fr/frame.htm

/Staffan

08-10-03 08:13 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy He does look much better. Someone should recognize what fucking enormous talent this guy has, get him a lead singer, and have him do a US Tour. A la The Jeff Beck Group, only without the part about getting in an accident and missing Woodstock, then letting Rod Stewart and some kid who played the bass like a guitar go.

-tSYX --- But you'll nevah break nevah break nevah break nevah braaaaaaaaayke...
08-10-03 10:07 PM
knocking Re the nauseatingly boring Woody/Taylor debate.
We all acknowledge Taylor as the more accomplished, melodic guitarist. But anyone who's heard Woody on CYHMK on current tour has to have been saying "Mick Taylor who?'' Who would have believed they'd attempt that tune, and do it so brilliantly. As for sound, it always depends where you are. In Toronto (in Oct. both shows, it was terrific)...yes, we'd all like them to get rid of the fucking backup singers, horn players (keep Bobby K. for Live With Me if played and BS) and yeah, Chuck L. too. Though if you saw No Security, with just the 6 guys including Chuck it was brilliant.
08-10-03 10:10 PM
knocking forgot something re Mick Taylor. He finally wised up and got a good singer and songwriter for his most recent album, Shadowman. Great stuff. But he ain't a songwriter and perhaps finally he realizes it. Getting sick of these ex-Stones, frankly, in a way. Bill Wyman with his incessant digs etc. etc. Hey, write some good tunes, boys.