ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones in Utrechtse Vredenburg. 16 August, 2003 (ANP)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith In This Weeks NME! Return to archive
08-06-03 07:26 AM
Honky Tonk Man Keith Richards is on the FRONT COVER of the NME. Must be the first time since the 70's! The issue came out today and www.nme.com has put a couple of the questiona asked and his responses on the site

Didz Hammond of The Cooper Temple Clause: If you could go back and play just one gig all over again, which would it be?

"Oh, that is so difficult. There are some that I recall for the wrong reasons, like Altamont for instance (laughs). Those things stick out. But I dunno� Hyde Park in '69 maybe, because of its sheer size and because it was London, hometown and stuff.

"But then I could say the Station Hotel, Richmond, 1962. It comes back to me like a flashback, y'know? And sometimes I miss those gigs - all our friends hanging from the ceiling, sweating, and the beer and the cider spilling all over the joint.

"But I must say, on this tour, I think the band have amazed themselves. We're really enjoying playing, which, after a year on the road is... well... It's mainly because we've kept this band together, as a unit, for a long time. It just seems to keep coming back with more resilience. The horn players are just tremendous. Bobby Keyes, bless his heart, when he keeps his teeth in! He blew them out the other night. As he says, 'Chiclets all over the place!'."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NME reader Chris asks: What do you think about the push for declassification of marijuana in the UK?

"Well, there's a lot of people in jail for a fairly innocuous weed. I'd say that, if it works in Holland, why couldn't it work everywhere? Drugs is a weird thing. I mean, I just considered myself a laboratory and I never considered the legal aspects of it, much to my... well, yeah. 'Ooops! Oh really? Under arrest? Well I was just trying it out' (laughs).

"But quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about the weed. Legalise it? Yeah, why not. I mean, it's far less damaging than booze. And people go, 'Well, if you let them have that, they'll go on to something harder', like you've let the genie out of the bottle or something. But I think you'd be much better off to separate the weed from the rest of your problems, your cracks, and your heroins and your ecstasys and everything like that. I mean, marijuana is the most benign drug that I've ever embraced and, if you separated that from the harder shit, then you'd probably be doing a lot of people a favour."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader John Sheahan: Being a father and having a daughter, have you ever had to see off any of her boyfriends?

"Yeah! Nearly chopped his dick off! (laughs). 'You wanna keep this, right son?' Oh yeah, at the moment, I'm heavily in that. They're buzzing like flies, the dirty little� 'I know what you want pal' (laughs).

"But I've been a dad for a long time. I'm a grandfather too. People forget that I'm not just that thing on stage. I've brought up a lot of family. My daughter, Angela, is here with her old man. I've got two grandkids. I've been mum for years. You wouldn't believe the other side of my life, man. 'You're babysitting'. 'OK darling'. There's that bit - nobody's immune to that stuff. But I love being a dad and I've seen all of my kids come up � except, of course, the son that died, which is a sad thing...

"They all had beautiful mothers though! I don't fuck about!"

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
08-06-03 09:01 AM
Zeeta
Yeah thanks HTM - no-where in Leeds seems to have it yet??

Looks like a good un!
08-06-03 11:53 AM
RubyFriday
08-06-03 12:56 PM
jb NME despises the Stones...this is a farce!!!!!!!
08-06-03 12:59 PM
egon jb,
are you ok?
you seem to be going on a downwards spiral lately.
you're posts are becoming very negative (even for you!).
08-06-03 01:02 PM
mac_daddy I guess they didn't print my question(s):

*** my question for Keith Richards:

How do you feel about fan taping at your shows? I am referring to cassette or DAT recordings made by fans, and then distributed for free via internet trade groups (not for sale CDs made by bootleggers who have hijacked said recordings). If it were not for these fan tapes, we would never hear much of the live stuff from the Mick Taylor years, arguably some of the finest Stones live work ever. These recordings are not a threat to market share, because they are made by fans for fans; if you were to release the same shows commercially, the fans who have the amateur recordings would most likely be the first ones in line to buy the commercial releases, as well. You are aware of some of the fan communities on the internet that are the distribution hubs for these recordings - you are not going to turn around and sue (or condone the suing of) all of these folks (arguably your most hardcore fans), are you?

** Your favourite Stones song (and why)

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" because it is the greatest Rock 'n Roll song ever written.
08-06-03 01:15 PM
jb Yes Egon...you are correct.....I am spiraling out of control.
[Edited by jb]
08-06-03 02:42 PM
gypsy Thanks for the info about Keith in the new NME.
jb, I like the avatar...you were a cute kid. Try to find that kid again, and lose the bitterness.
08-06-03 02:45 PM
jb i AM STILL CUTE AND I feel the time is right for "us".
08-08-03 01:09 PM
Jen D There's a great photo of Keith at the interview at the start of the feature - he's wearing a t-shirt of himself with "too tough to die" on it.
08-08-03 01:10 PM
Jen D oh and the questions and answers going online are ones that diidn't make the mag.