ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones in Utrechtse Vredenburg. 16 August, 2003 (ANP)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "NME originals" - Stones special Return to archive
08-04-03 07:59 PM
Gazza Just out in the UK today is the latest in the series of "NME Originals" (volume 1 Issue 9) and this one is a special devoted to the Stones up to 1969.

Its a 148 full colour special of reprints of old articles in the NME and now defunct Melody Maker from their first single release in June 1963 all the way through to a review of the Savile Theatre gigs in December 1969.

have to say on first look,its a great issue. Great articles and fantastic photos. Cover price is �4.99 ($9.95 in the US) and should still be on sale at most major magazine stockists by the time those of you coming here for the shows are in the UK. If you have any trouble getting hold of it, you can order online at www.mags-uk.com/ipc or contact the back issues department at 020 8532 3628 fax 020 8519 3695.

08-04-03 08:19 PM
gypsy Thanks, Gazza. I love buying all those magazines on the Stones. You just know they're going to be selling 'em for $25 a pop on ebay next month.
08-05-03 12:27 PM
Jen D It's a great magazine - well worth getting.

I'm glad somebody else has discovered it, I've been wanting to go round boards telling people how wonderful it is, but afraid I'd sound like I worked for them.

I've stuck a review up on my website - it's too long to repost here. http://www.brianjones.host.sk/NMEor...gstones60s.html

08-05-03 12:54 PM
Gerry S Thanks so much for posting this info! I used to have all the old NME's and Melody Makers from that time period but they were all destroyed in a basement flood some years ago, so i'm really excited about being able to "replace" all those issues!!!
08-06-03 05:54 AM
Zeeta I hope they will do a 70's issue of this magazine, I bet they won't do an 80's version though!
08-06-03 05:22 PM
Jen D You can also get it from http://www.nmeoriginals.com/

"The definitive guide to The Stones in the '60s

The greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world! The Rolling Stones have been answering to that accolade for so long now that you may have forgotten what it was that earned them the crown in the first place. That's where NME Originals: The Rolling Stones comes in. Gathering together articles from the hallowed pages of the UK's two most infamous music weeklies, NME and Melody Maker, Originals reprints for the first time since they were first published in the 60's, all the original news stories, live reports, record reviews and interviews just as they appeared on the newstands way back when.

Whether they were battling it out with The Beatles for the top of the charts, getting busted and banged-up in jail, or outraging parents the length and breadth of the land, NME and MM were there to cover all the glories and scandals that made the Stones immortal..

Lovingly reproduced in one glossy magazine, NME Originals: The Rolling Stones is the "must buy" magazine for all die-hard Stones fans and lovers of rock music alike.

- Exclusive intro by Keith Richard!
- Classic record releases re-lived!
- Teenage Hysteria!
- Sexual revolution!"
08-06-03 05:29 PM
Mr T that's pretty cool
08-08-03 05:33 AM
Zeeta This will be in next week's NME!!! Cool

GET STONED!

Next week, NME is giving away an amazing free, 16-page Rolling Stones supplement. A celebration of the all-time greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world, it features stunning pull-out portraits from the NME archive, a guide to the 10 best Stones albums ever and more Satanic decadence than you can shake a Mars Bar at. Whether you're a hardcore fan or a Stones virgin, it's guaranteed to give you Satisfaction.

On sale 13 August, FREE with NME.
08-09-03 04:32 PM
stewed & Keefed Thanks for that news Zeeta
08-09-03 05:05 PM
Gazza wow!! excellent

>NME is giving away an amazing free, 16-page Rolling Stones supplement. A celebration of the all-time greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world

it took them long enough to realise it! restores yer faith in the music press a bit!
08-10-03 06:15 AM
caro
quote:
From nme.com's 'week with Keith' :

Reader Raj: Did you ever meet Jim Morrison of The Doors?

"I'm not sure if I did or not. There might have been a vague foggy meeting in a club but nothing... I don't like poets."

A wise and graceful answer...
With such healthy principles, it's no wonder that man seems indestructible
08-10-03 08:42 AM
hotlicks Picked up a copy of the NME Originals "The Rolling Stones" magazine. God I feel old because I'm old enough to remember all the stuff in it, unlike that young pup Gazza....by the way the Sunday Times has done a good special on the Stones, and it contains excerpts from the new "According to the Rolling Stones". Dunno if I'll buy it, I think I'll wait for Gazza to fork out �30 of his hard-earned cash and then borrow it! Not to long to go till Wembley and the MIck Taylor gig now :-)
08-11-03 05:25 AM
Zeeta Today's questions from NME.co.uk - love his answer about going to movies!!

NME reader Terry Grant: Would you have made it without the cunning stunts of Andrew Loog Oldham?

"Well, we obviously weren't unaware of what was going down because suddenly there was The Beatles and the harmonica and 'Love Me Do' and we were like, 'Shit! There's another one like us!' But he saw potential too cos, of course, he'd been working with them and Epstein, then they got into some poofter fight or something, got piqued or something like that, and Andrew decided that they couldn't be the only lot in the world so he joined up with us.

"We knew nothing about music business at the time - all we could do is rent a room or a pub, that was about the extent of our knowledge of the music business - but the scales dropped from our eyes pretty quick once we saw the vista opening up. But it was basically his vision and determination to find something else to stick it in Epstein's face (laughs).

"Half the things you read about - the operas, the films - were never his intention. He just threw out things to create the aura. It was a funny team because he was basically one of the band for quite a while and he had this idea to be the English Phil Spector (laughs).

"But he helped bring about the transition. British pop music at that time had kind of gone off the boil a bit - and even American pop music had, which is maybe even more important - because by early '60, '61 the music business had regathered and got its claws back in whereas in '56, '57 they didn't know what shit was happening. Elviswas coming out, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry and Little Richard; just an explosion! And they didn't know what to do with it.

"But by '60, '61 they'd pretty much got it nailed back down again to A&R men and, ''You'll do this' and 'Like a rubber ball I'll come bouncing back to you�'.. It had gone very light. And then you got yer Adam Faith, bless his heart, and it had become controlled again by the music business.

"And then, what happened in England is, I guess, a reflection of what happened in America in the mid-50's. Y'know, it took that long for the jolt to come and suddenly there was the thing about albums starting to become important. You still had to have singles but there was that whole thing of, 'Well, actually WE have artistic control'. We don't need the little man in the white suit, the under-assistant West Coast promotion men - we don't need them. We make the records and we give 'em in. And that was such a big thing - for the first time ever the artists had control of what they were doing.

"Even though since then it's gone around again, a whole load of talent came out of it. Your Neil Youngs and Bob Dylans - without that thing going down, the industry would never have let them in. There's nothing the business likes more than a formula, and there's nothing Andrew liked more than to break the formula (laughs)."

NME reader Dobsy: Is there anything Keith Richards can't do?

"I can't go to movies anymore because I'm always looking for the 'Exit' sign and just waiting for that one person to go, 'It's him'. And then I ruin the movie for the whole audience because I've gotta make the move. It's a strange thing. It's the only thing I can't do. Otherwise I can handle it."
08-12-03 04:24 AM
Zeeta Tuesday offering from NME!!

Reader John Covey: I've always admired your hair. What's your personal favourite 'do?

"Well, thinking back, I grew up in the Brylcreem era and I was once again in rebellion because no matter how hard you tried to slick my hair back, it would always go forward. So, in a way, I just gave up the fight (laughs).

"But I was at art school with mods and rockers and beatniks and you were thrown into one pool or another depending how you did your hair and it was fiercely competitive in a way. But I had mates in all three camps. My mate Pete had a great Vinnie Thou motorbike and I'd get lifts on the pillion, and then I had a couple of really hip mates who were playing Thelonius Monk and Ray Charles, y'know, and I'd hang with them for a bit. So I had a foot in every camp in a way. I never made up my mind."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader Paul Cufflin: If you could relive any six months of your career over again, is there any particular period that you remember more fondly than most?

"The first six months of my life. I can't remember a thing. (laughs). I dunno, I've gotta say when the Stones first started, when we hit the road with The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Bo Diddley� that was actually six weeks but I've gotta say that was a very, very exciting time because all of England was kind of letting us know� I mean, we were opening the show to start with, then we moved our way up the bill because there were loads of other acts - Mickie Most and The Rattles from Hamburg...

"But I would say that that was the period when I learned the most, just watching The Everly Brothers, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, how they worked but, at the same time, from outside the theatre, this undeniable wave of English Stonesmania going on and, by the end, The Everly Brothers were going, 'Hey, you should finish the show'. We didn't but we started the tour nowhere and, in six weeks, you could feel it building everywhere you went - Bolton, Leeds, Sunderland, way up north, you could just feel the whole country networking."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reader Jeff Thompson: Where did you pick up your bad habits?

"Black guys. We did endless tours of the Midwest and South in America, picking up bands like The Beach Boys or The Vibrations and there was always black guys there - that's where we learned our bad habits (laughs). We were like 19 or 20 years old and we'd be working with these guys and we'd get to the gig and we're knackered and there's these black guys in bands, some of them are in their thirties, some even older, and they're all totally beaming and totally together. And we're, like, 'Man, how do you do this?' And they're like, 'Take one of these. Smoke one of them'. (laughs). That was my education. And the next day we're like, 'You're right!!!' (laughs)."