ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

HSH Nordbank Arena, Hamburg 15th August 2007
© Axel Schumacher, Thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What rules did you learn after your first 400 post? Return to archive Page: 1 2
7th August 2007 11:36 PM
Kilroy #401
All you guys with 2000 post tell us what it was like when you hit 400.
Here is a FEW rules I'VE LEARNED
Rule #1 something about Colt 45
Rule #2 something about not talking about a fight club
Rule #3 someting about this being a forum not a blog
Rule #4 You can like the Stones and hate The Stones in the same post/day
Rule #5 Old Stones' fans, old as in age old Stones' fans were lucky very lucky
Rule #6 Don't say to many positve things about any other Early English
Beat Bands
Rule #7 There are really no rules, but be polite and read what someone is
writing.
Rule #8 It's not easy to post pictures but some of you are very very pdoggie
good at it
Rule#9 Rolling Stones Fans here at Rocks Off Are Really deep down inside
very nice people. Joey seems to be everyones favorite
brother. The girls/women are very nice
Rule#10 F$%K you Gazza is a cool thing to say, I'm going to wait and say it
at #500

Thanks yawl for putting up with my first 400. out

[Edited by Kilroy]
[Edited by Kilroy]
7th August 2007 11:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL you don't need to wait till your 500 post to say FYG, WY? to honor your post number 402 you can say it or include it in your signature
7th August 2007 11:45 PM
Kilroy I'm going to wait, I love this site and don't want to ruin it by doing to much to fast. You know let's not do it all tonight. Let leave some for Sunday afternoon when we are going to be wanting it. You guys have a great site here and I'm still new. 500 is the one for the f#$K you Gazza.
7th August 2007 11:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
8th August 2007 01:38 AM
pdog You learned more in those few hundred posts than I ever will...
8th August 2007 01:42 AM
speedfreakjive that music can be deferred as the main topic of conversation
8th August 2007 06:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Internet ugly when insults fly
By MARY REEVES
USA TODAY, August 5, 2007

Flaming pie fights and baiting trolls.

It sounds like the plot to a Three Stooges fantasy film, but these elements are part of a growing trend on the Internet — leaving ugly and increasingly vulgar insults and accusations on Web sites, blogspots and other user-accessible forums.

"Flaming" is when a person leaves highly inflammatory, deliberately ugly comments on message boards. "Pie fights" involve more than one person posting and can eventually damage an online community as more get drawn into — or turned off by — the wars of the words.

"Trolls" are those who will throw out the insults and innuendoes — not because the subject matter means anything to them, but because they want to bait the other readers and see the fight begin.

"It's whack, man," said Anthony Mitchell of Murfreesboro, 17.

Like many teenagers, Mitchell spends most of his time on MySpace, and usually when there are insulting messages left on his site, it's more teasing from known friends.

Other times, it gets ugly.

"It's like a power trip for them," he said of the "flamers."

"But it's no big deal. It's all cool — it's the Internet.

"Some people do get ticked about it."

Some people like Chisa Uka, a communications major from the state of Washington who stopped in Murfreesboro on her way back to college in Florida, said she rarely posts herself, but reads others' posts and most of the time, doesn't like what she reads — and that the messages are anonymous.

""I don't think it's very mature," she said. "I think most of people who do that are teenagers, and teenagers aren't that mature.

"It' sad — people have so much access to the Internet, and it ruins it for some of us."

The phenomenon goes beyond "Netiquette" — those Internet rules of when to use all capital letters and why LOL is extremely annoying. The flaming trend has take cyber-rudeness to new levels of incivility.

"The information superhighway has become the mean streets of cyburbia," says Silicon Valley technology forecaster Paul Saffo. "It's just gotten steadily worse.

Brooke Brodack of San Francisco remembers her first online "hater."

The person posted rude comments about her YouTube video nearly two years ago, says Brodack, 21, whose videos show her lip-syncing and creating characters. "It was shocking to me. Why would someone want to be so mean for no reason?"

Why, indeed? Nasty comments, sometimes even death threats, have become ubiquitous on virtually any Web site that seeks to engage readers in discussion.

"Ur ugly u suk and u should die," says a typical comment beneath one of Brodack's many videos, among the most popular on YouTube. Such vulgar messages have inspired heated discussions on YouTube message boards.

Ben Hill of Murfreesboro, 14, pointed a finger at a friend of his, Kari McClatchey, and accused her of leaving an ugly message on his MySpace site. He then laughed, and said he knew she was teasing — and he knew it was her — but admitted that the message would have bothered him if it had been from an anonymous sender.

"I don't leave bad messages," he swore, while his friends laughed and shook their heads. All the teens in their group admitted to receiving flaming posts — but never leaving one.

But they all said they knew people who did.

"Some people like to talk big on the Internet," said McClatchey. "Just because they can."

Personal pages such as those found on MySpace or Yahoo's 360, are common targets for the flamers — but legitimate sites get their share of ugly hits as well. CraigsList, group forums, and especially newspapers have had to start monitoring the messages left on their sites.

Several newspapers, wary of outrageous posts by readers, have banned all comments during major news events. That's what happened in April at The Roanoke Times in Virginia, which shut down a message board it had set up to discuss the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech.

Initial comments were "very civil," says online editor John Jackson, but they quickly turned ugly. "All of a sudden, we started noticing the nastier comments."

He can't recall exactly what they said but remembers they were laced with profanity.

"It was really a no-brainer decision to take it down because it really crossed the line so terribly," Jackson says.

Some newspapers are now requiring those posting to leave their real names, not their Internet ID. The Sacramento (Calif.) Bee recently decided to do away with anonymous comments and requires readers to use their real names.

Michael Bugeja, author and director of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication at Iowa State University, says that practice is the least newspapers should do. "If you want enlightened conversations on your site, people have to use their real names," he says, adding that news sites also should clearly differentiate comments from stories.

James Osborne, 60, of Murfreesboro, a frequent contributor to the StoryChat at dnj.com, doesn't see that as necessary, although he always leaves his name on his post — and his age is included in his dnj.com ID.

"If somebody wants to challenge me, they know I'm not just some 13-year-old on the Internet who doesn't have a clue or any experience at all," he said. "I wouldn't feel right if they couldn't challenge what I said."

A retired radio journalist, he also supports the posters' rights to free speech — and anonymity.

"I think everybody has to follow their own conscience," Osborne said. "I think (anonymous) venting is helpful, and I appreciate the newspapers and Web sites that allow people to vent. I think it's a very helpful thing."

David Duez of Smyrna, agrees, but believes there may be drawbacks.

"I guess it's a good thing getting out your real feelings. It's good to speak your mind," he said.

"It could be dangerous," he added, "but it all comes back to the freedom of speech."

Even when people use their real names, they don't always feel the ramifications of their words: The online world puts blinders on us.

"Without seeing the immediate consequences of rudeness on the recipient's face or in their voice, it is easier to cross boundaries," says Jeffrey Cole, director of the Center for the Digital Future at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication.

But the online world is markedly different from the offline one, Martin says. In real life, people have learned that there are rules they dare not break. For instance, racism is now considered intolerable, she says, pointing out that radio shock jock Don Imus was fired in April for a racist comment about members of the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Online, people feel free to express all sorts of otherwise socially unacceptable thoughts — often without repercussions.

"Civilization is about thinking before you express everything," said Judith Martin, who writes the syndicated Miss Manners column.

She and others say online nastiness should be reined in. "When people find they are held accountable for what they say or write, then they tend to want to restrain themselves," she says.

Duez said the opinions he reads on line, he has heard and seen people express on television.

"But on TV, you can't hide," he said.

Uka thinks you shouldn't hide — on the Internet or anywhere else.

"If you want your opinion to be heard, you should claim it," she said.

8th August 2007 06:38 AM
corgi37 Rulle #11 - Allow your girlfriend, wife, and even in some cases, mother, to privately email corgi37 some "nice" photos.
8th August 2007 07:20 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
All you guys with 2000 post tell us what it was like when you hit 400.

I realised my extreme craziness isn't so extreme after all.

I learned (finally) to ignore 'If you don't like-em, don't go" people.
8th August 2007 08:26 AM
the good
quote:
Kilroy wrote:

Rule#9 Rolling Stones Fans here at Rocks Off Are Really deep down inside very nice people.

Shut up dumbass. Nobody cares about your stupid list.
8th August 2007 08:27 AM
gimmekeef I hated all the accusations thrown at me about being on steroids when I made my 756th post....No one said that about pdog and he has like 70,000 posts!!
8th August 2007 08:35 AM
SweetVirginia Sorry, gimmekeef. Your 756th will forever be followed by an asterisk.

8th August 2007 08:39 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Sorry, gimmekeef. Your 756th will forever be followed by an asterisk.

See what I'm dealing with here?...lmaooooo
8th August 2007 08:44 AM
tumbled test what's my #??

anyone know if a '06 Fuji Roubaix RC for $1300 is a good deal?
8th August 2007 10:02 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
the good wrote:

Shut up dumbass. Nobody cares about your stupid list.

There's no such thing as a stupid list.
9th August 2007 02:23 PM
BONOISLOVE You little people and your crazy thoughts.

Rule #12: U can't have enough hugs.
9th August 2007 10:56 PM
Kilroy
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:
You little people and your crazy thoughts.

Rule #12: U can't have enough hugs.

Or fun...............But no one here is little......do you think?
9th August 2007 11:17 PM
pdog
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

There's no such thing as a stupid list.

just stupid people who make lists...
9th August 2007 11:38 PM
Zack Kilroy, explain your avatar.

(Mine's Mick and Keith smoking a spliff with Peter Tosh.)
10th August 2007 05:35 AM
albert rule 13: RO can become addictive/ a bad habbit......

FYG,WY!!!!

gr,
Albert
Holland
10th August 2007 01:08 PM
Starbuck shit....son, sito down, and i will tell you what i felt like when i made my 400th post.....

the girls are very nice....however, not everyone loves joey. some think he's mildly retarded...some seriously despise him!

let me add a few more rules to your list:

15. ROCC chicks dig guys in wigs.
16. speaking of yourself in the third person will result in extreme spankings.
17. leaving speed in the backseat of a car filled with kids will result in posting banishment and is generally uncool.
18. ginda did indeed kiss elvis (no tongue).
19. sleeping with pug will not do much to improve your social standing.
20. if you don't like it, post at the MB across the street!
10th August 2007 01:29 PM
iluvmickjagger07 joining rocks off is like joining a family
10th August 2007 01:38 PM
MrPleasant 21. You can't simply post ANYTHING at the JOEY threads.
10th August 2007 01:45 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
shit....son, sito down, and i will tell you what i felt like when i made my 400th post.....

the girls are very nice....however, not everyone loves joey. some think he's mildly retarded...some seriously despise him!

let me add a few more rules to your list:

15. ROCC chicks dig guys in wigs.
16. speaking of yourself in the third person will result in extreme spankings.
17. leaving speed in the backseat of a car filled with kids will result in posting banishment and is generally uncool.
18. ginda did indeed kiss elvis (no tongue).
19. sleeping with pug will not do much to improve your social standing.
20. if you don't like it, post at the MB across the street!

I must agree, sleeping with pug will only hurt your social standing as the performance is actually quite dreadful, possibly the worst 27 seconds of ones life. I apologize to my wife regarding this on a semi annual basis.
10th August 2007 01:46 PM
voodoopug
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
21. You can't simply post ANYTHING at the JOEY threads.

10th August 2007 03:39 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
joining rocks off is like joining a family

Yup...The Mansons...
10th August 2007 06:46 PM
Kilroy
quote:
Zack wrote:
Kilroy, explain your avatar.

(Mine's Mick and Keith smoking a spliff with Peter Tosh.)

It was the late afternoon Sun at the farm after our annual Turkey Skeet Shoot!
Thanks for asking. It my favorite place to be.
10th August 2007 06:56 PM
fireontheplatter not to drink and post
10th August 2007 07:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
not to drink and post

10th August 2007 08:41 PM
Kilroy
quote:
pdog wrote:

just stupid people who make lists...

That was to easy.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)