ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SHOCKED AT THE QUALITY OF THIS RECORD/ A BIGGER BANG KICKS U2's Atomic Bomb's ASS!!! Return to archive
August 12th, 2005 06:25 PM
Poison Dart After hearing several complete versions of the songs on A Bigger Bang and at least 30 second clips of all the songs. I am shocked at the quality of this record.

I have to be honest and say that I didn't think the Stones had it in them at this late date to put out a record of this quality.

Don't get me wrong I liked Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon. But A Bigger Bang is in a different league. I'm not going to go overboard and say that this is the best record since Exile on Mainstreet (I'll leave that to boring rock critics). But I do honestly think this record is in the same league as Some Girls and MAY (I have to hear the entire cd) be better than Tattoo You.

Who would have thought in 1964 that the Rolling Stones would be capable of putting out a vicious rocker like Oh No,Not you Again in the year 2005? I ask you, have you heard a better rock song this year from any band?

Quite frankly U2'S (lET me state clearly I'm not a U2 basher. I'm actually A FAN OF THAT GREAT BAND)"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" seems very boring and middle of the road compared to A Bigger Bang.

I am thrilled. The Stones are about to shock the world with this record.

-See you in Boston in a week or so.
-See you at the #1 spot in Billboard the week of September 6th.

2005 IS THE YEAR THAT WILL REMIND THE WORLD WHO THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND OFF ALL TIME IS!!!!!

[Edited by Poison Dart]
August 12th, 2005 06:31 PM
Poplar
i told a good friend - and big U2 fan - the same thing today.
he had checked out Rough Justice, and the :30 clips on Amazon.
He agreed, Stones win this round.

August 12th, 2005 06:41 PM
time is on my side Thanks for the report. It's quite interesting to learn of another person, Voodoo being the other I believe, placing this new album in the stratesphere and in the same league with SOME GIRLS AND TATTOO YOU. All the reports coming in, from people who have acutally heard the album, have generally been quite positive. These reports are getting me quite excited. Could it be that the STONES, against all odds, have produced what the naysayers said they could not produce, A GREAT ALBUM????

I'm going to wait until September, when I can listen to the entire album on my own, to pass judgement. Each person should be their own guide and, I'm sure we will be hearing soon from the usual suspects, calling this album "overrated" and nothing special. We shall see but I'm getting a real good feeling about A Bigger Bang.

[Edited by time is on my side]
August 12th, 2005 06:50 PM
Some Guy The new U2 doesn't move me.
August 12th, 2005 07:12 PM
Soldatti You can't compare a U2 album with a Stones album, because the worst Stones album is always more entertaining than any U2 record.
August 12th, 2005 07:44 PM
Angiegirl Comparing is pointless, it's different music, it's different bands. It's about taste and preference. Mick already knew this back in the 60's when being compared to the Beatles: "There's no point in comparing. You can prefer us to them or them to us".

I like U2 usually, though I didn't hear much of their latest record. I like the old U2 songs; The Joshua Tree is simply brilliant imo. Then again, I also mostly like the old (pre-1983) Stones songs...
August 12th, 2005 08:30 PM
ResidentMule great to see everybody digging this record. I haven't listened to the amazon clips, seeing if I can hold out til release day. the four songs we've heard (counting ONNYA live) are enough of a spoiler, and Rough Justice is the only one I've allowed myself to listen to more than 2 or 3 times. I'd be happy to swap Start Me Up for that one this time around

I'll bet they give up on Streets of Love real quick. RJ is the one I hear about in the most heavy rotation - and they didn't play it in Toronto when all the other new songs were predictable given the ones getting all the attention

hearing Infamy temps me the most, so I'll really have to resist sampling that one. after hearing how much the other Keith song reminds people of Losing My Touch, that doesn't sound like a compliment to me, so I don't want to spoil what could be the one great Keith song on the album
August 12th, 2005 08:32 PM
The Wick Haven't heard the total record so it's hard to say, but I agree that the worst Stones record is better than anything U2 have ever done.
August 12th, 2005 08:48 PM
BlindLemon Hey, REsident Mule,
I think u might be in for a pleasant surprise with TPIE. It is maybe a bit like How can I stop, but it does not drag on, actually has rhythm and much more of a melody, as far as I can say. Nice Keith melody, not Keith whining. Superb, I'd say. But u'll see when the time is here
August 12th, 2005 10:11 PM
ResidentMule didn't mean to say I've formed an opinion of the song just by hearing what people had to say about it. from what I've heard This Place is Empty has a little more countryish feel to it - which sounds like a big plus because what LMT was really lacking was some type of favor. but I'm anything but a Keith-ballad hater. I think all 3 tracks he did on Bridges were excellent, especially Thief in the Night - that one's grown on me the most since that album came out

I'm just not as curious about that song as I am Infamy. I've heard an interesting variety of discriptions for that one. I just want to leave some big surprises for the album, afterall, with every album before this one since I've been a fan I've only heard the lead single before release day, so I wanna let this album as a whole soak in before I start tearing apart each song
August 12th, 2005 10:29 PM
Nellcote Where's Ian Billen in all of this cd madness...
He's not hardly checked in on these delicious cuts...
Ian, IAN?
August 12th, 2005 10:37 PM
gypsy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Where's Ian Billen in all of this cd madness...
Ian, IAN?

IanBillen=Chuck Leavell?
August 12th, 2005 10:38 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Ian, IAN?

OMG...Nelly...I've been thinking the SAME thing!!!!!!!

Where is Ian????? Could Ian have really been Kohl???

from
LJ.
August 12th, 2005 10:43 PM
Angiegirl From Ian...

certainly sounds better than

From Chuck...
August 13th, 2005 06:37 AM
JaggerLips JUST FROM THE 30 SECOND CLIPS I'M GETTING THIS STRONG VIBE THAT THE CRITICS ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS ONE!!!

LAUGH I NEARLY DIED IS FANTASTIC!

INFAMY!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ALL THE SONGS ARE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

August 13th, 2005 07:06 AM
IanBillen [quote]gypsy wrote:

IanBillen=Chuck Leavell?

Gypsy you need some good Rough Justice- Ian
August 13th, 2005 07:09 AM
IanBillen [quote]Nellcote wrote:
Ian, IAN?

Been Frustrated cause Mac wouldn't play the new cuts. Finally Real One Player for OSX web-page was available and....here I is.

Here is to "Sweet Neo-Con"! Love that one. And I am not concerned about the politics of it either.

Ian
August 13th, 2005 07:13 AM
IanBillen [quote]Angiegirl wrote:
From Ian...

certainly sounds better than

From Chuck...

LoL thanks....I think? anyway it is usually .....from Ian

Just gave Gypsy a -Ian recently to throw a curve ball.

And By the way Gazza disgusts me!

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
August 13th, 2005 07:16 AM
IanBillen [quote]LadyJane wrote:

OMG...Nelly...I've been thinking the SAME thing!!!!!!!

Where is Ian????? Could Ian have really been Kohl???

from
LJ.

And don't call it a come-back either, me that is...I been here for years.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
August 13th, 2005 09:29 AM
Dutch Michael D. U2 is boring as hell!! they suck...
stupid irish gays, do they realy think that someone can overshadow the greatest band in the world, nobody can!! and u2 can't too!!! i hate that name !!! i'm glad the stones didn't peformed on that stupid Live aid 2. and i'm glad the stones don't want to have anything to do with arnold swarchzsnicker. the stones are the coolest band in the world and they don't even try to be cool!!! they are the one and only Rock and Roll motherfuckers!!!

ciao
August 13th, 2005 09:32 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
the stones are the coolest band in the world and they don't even try to be cool!!!
ciao

oooh they REALLY try to be cool, at least MIck tries VERY hard. He made an album, and wanted to be cool, and it was called, goddes in the doorway
August 13th, 2005 09:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Dutch Michael D. wrote:
U2 is boring as hell!! they suck...
stupid irish gays, do they realy think that someone can overshadow the greatest band in the world, nobody can!! and u2 can't too!!! i hate that name !!! i'm glad the stones didn't peformed on that stupid Live aid 2. and i'm glad the stones don't want to have anything to do with arnold swarchzsnicker. the stones are the coolest band in the world and they don't even try to be cool!!! they are the one and only Rock and Roll motherfuckers!!!

ciao

IMO you're overstating your case. Noone takes U2 seriously anyway....well except U2. That the Stones are the essence of cool almost goes without saying. Them & Dylan and a few others.
August 13th, 2005 09:44 AM
Madafaka I agree with some people, you can't compare!
August 13th, 2005 10:24 AM
JaggerLips The Rolling Stones have got more talent in their fingernails than Bono et al have in their whole bodies!
August 13th, 2005 10:35 AM
Jumacfly Im not crazy about U2 but last month there gave 2 sold out show in Paris SDF and rocked the place with only the four of them on stage...count 13 people on stage on next Stones tour...
it wil be my only critic about the Stones in 2005, so stop being stupid and give U2 credit for this..

a nice week end to you all!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)