ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new twist on playing jjf. What you think? Return to archive
August 12th, 2005 10:12 AM
rocker Been tinckering with different ways to play jjf. Heres what i came up with thats a little differnt from playing it in open G capoed on 4th fret.

The guitar set up is one acoustic and one electric. Take the acoustic and capo it at the 7th fret and leave it in standard tuning (This differs from open E tuning on original) Play the riff using the standard root 6 E chord shape, and on the chorus play a regular G chord, D chord, A chord, and E chord. This provides a strong, jangly, ringing tone that you only get with using open chord formations,but all in standard tuning.

On the electric guitar leave it also in standard tuning and play it the way keith does on Rock n Roll circus, using root 5- B power chord, root 6- F# power chord, root 6- E power chord, and root 5- A power chord. This is a strong way to play the riff, and wish that Keith would still play it that way from time to time.

Throw in some maracas in and it would be rocking!

Im wanting to start a band with two guitars one day, always using an acoustic for strong rhythmn, and then an electric. This comes from my love of the Stones, and from my love of early rockabilly from Elvis, Carl perkins, Buddy Holly, Billy Lee Riley, Eddie Cochran, and Johnny Burdette. I like the symplicity of this set up, and its potential for overwhelming power!

Perhaps others have tried it this way, so it might not be new, in fact its a hybrid of sorts, but in any case its a different twist on the way its being played now.
August 12th, 2005 03:31 PM
Fadeout_Freedom ...that's one of those songs that I can never seem to get the right sound on...

was noodling around a couple of weeks ago, acoustic tuned to open D, with a capo 7th or 8th fret... seemed close, but no cigar quite yet.

Of course, with the guitars layered the way they are, I'm never going to get JJF right with just one guitar.

Seems like whenever I get into open D mode, I end up playing the heck out of 'Prodigal Son', it's a lot of fun... plus the other day got to experimenting with 'You Got the Silver'.. also YCAGWYW, capoed way up on 10th fret...

sound like fun right now... in a couple of hours I'll get done here at work , go home, and retune the old axe...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)