ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rhythm Return to archive
August 12th, 2005 12:09 AM
Zulu Fun Mix See what a difference it makes to have Charlie playing the drums instead of computerizing them like on B2B? Computers can't understand jack shit about jazz and related music. Even from these 30-second clips you can hear that the Stones are saved.
August 12th, 2005 10:55 AM
egon charlie didn't play on BTB...?
August 12th, 2005 12:06 PM
Steel Wheels Charlie is music. Charlie is great music. Charlie makes me smile with everything he plays. It's so good to hear these new clips with him snapping away!
August 12th, 2005 12:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl "The Rolling Stones" is a short for the real name of the band and it was autorized by Charlie, the real complete name of the band is "Charlie Watts and his Rolling Stones"
August 12th, 2005 12:55 PM
glencar Of course he played the drums on BTB. This whole thread is ridiculous.
August 12th, 2005 04:01 PM
FPM C10 Wow...seems like old times around here!

Let's get syncopated!
August 12th, 2005 04:32 PM
glencar LOL Is it the return of Stormy?
August 12th, 2005 05:51 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL Is it the return of Stormy?

Storm ?!?!

Stormy ?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?!?!

Man , one thing about you Stormy ...................

******* END TRANSMISSION *******
August 12th, 2005 11:15 PM
Zulu Fun Mix Who?

All I know is Charlie usually accents slightly off the expected beat, which is what gives that driving forward feeling in the best Stones' songs. A lot of that was lost on B2B because although Charlie did *strike* the drums, on several cuts people like the "Dust Brothers" (whatever happened to those morons?) used computers to decide where the fills would be placed in the finished songs. Even where they seemed to end up plausibly in the right place, like on "Saint of Me," the drum sound got over-processed to the point that it sounded flat and manufactured.

In contrast, on these *Bigger Bang* songs, Charlie is clearly slinging the songs forward, relying on his own finely-honed intelligence and sensibility rather than the crude artificial "intelligence" of 1997-vintage computer software.

Several people note that these songs sound reggae-influenced. The essence of reggae is simply syncopation: accenting the normally unaccented beat. But these *Bigger Bang* songs are BEYOND reggae because he isn't just accenting the "opposite" or unexpected beat. He's ahead of and/or slightly behind the main flow of rhythm all over the place. Only someone steeped in jazz like Charlie would think to do this, not the usual bonehead/white pop-rock drummers and pop-rock producers out there.

On the other hand, think how much cooler "Back of My Hand" would sound with a searing electronic synthesizer solo placed strategically in it...

August 13th, 2005 12:31 PM
Too Tough Just to clarify, Charlie did play on Bridges To Babylon. But there was some "looping" done, as oppose to simply playing live, which is what the Stones are known for. But Charlie has never been replaced by a drum machine or something like that.
August 13th, 2005 04:04 PM
FPM C10 I really have nothing against looping, and have resolutely stood by B2B as a decent album. And I love "Might As Well Get Juiced" as a nod toward Fat Possum and "A Ass Pocket of Whiskey" and all that stuff. But it was time to go back to the well, and when I heard "Back of My Hand" I knew all was well in the world - god is in his heaven and Charlie Watts is on drums.

I understand Zulu Fun Mix (great name but isn't that looped???)'s viewpoint - Charlie is so fucking great and you really shouldn't screw around with perfection - but he seemed up for the experiment, and that's how you keep fresh.

But I'll take this new stuff ANYDAY. It's a great time to be a Stones fan!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)