ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bang first Impressions: I hear some Emotional Rescue/Main Offender/ and mid 70's records among other Return to archive
August 11th, 2005 10:58 PM
Poison Dart Granted I've only heard 30 second clips (thanks Voodoo) of these songs (along w/SOL,RJ,ONNYA,BOMH) but I love what I have heard to this point.

The first impression I've got is that this is the album that Emotional Rescue could have been. The overall tone of these songs sounds to me like they are better versions of tunes from Emotional Rescue among other Stones/solo Stones records.

Here goes (again these are first impressions from less than perfect sound clips)

Rain Fall Down- Reminds me of Dance (Part 1) from Emotional Rescue.

She Saw Me Coming- Would fit nicely behind Let Me Go on Emotional Rescue. Same drum sound.

Sweet Neocon- Reminds me a little of Send it to Me from Emotional Rescue. Is it me? The 1st thing I thought was Send it to Me. Not what I expected at all.

It Won't Take Long- Vocals and subject matter could come from Dirty Work. Nice guitar work.

Laugh I Nearly Died - Sounds like it could come from Black and Blue. (Killer track)

Infamy- Sounds like an outake from Main Offender.

Streets of Love- Easily the worst song thus far (could fit on Steel Wheels or any Rob Thomas record)

Let me Down Slow- old,old,old school Stones. Reminds me of Out of Time.

Back of My Hand- Again old school Stones/Muddy Waters

Biggest Mistake- Goddess in the Doorway meets Voodoo Lounge? Tough to tell with this one.

This Place is Empty- Similar to Losing my Touch (40 licks) but a little quicker in tempo. Sounds like a great saloon type song. For some reason reminds me of (but doesn't really sound like) Sinatra's One for my Baby.

OH No,Not You Again- Opens up like When the Wip Comes Down. But would be more at home on It's Only Rock and Roll.

Rough Justice- Like ONNYA would be at home on any of the mid to late 70's records.

I really like what I've heard thus far.

I predict A Bigger Bang will debut in Billboard at #1.

[Edited by Poison Dart]
August 11th, 2005 11:24 PM
Riffhard I pick up alot of Black and Blue vibe from this disk so far. Though I think it sounds even better! That's because of the reggae vibe that is so dominate on many of the tracks. It sounds like a kinda Black and Blue feel that has been more fully matured. If that makes any sense. I dig it! Yes I do!

I do also hear bits of Exile in there as well as some Tattoo You side 2 stuff going on. It's nice to finally get an album that will apparently live up to the hype!

Riffhard
August 11th, 2005 11:56 PM
BlindLemon I'm with u on the reggae remark. Add to this their having played GUSU at the Phoenix, and I think that tells a story. Keith seems to have taken over - although Mick may not have resisted all that much given f.i. Hideaway from GITD. Reggae, and the other thing I noticed, which steals it for me is the fact that there is some serious weaving going on at times, sg I haven't heard since Mean Disposition.
OK its 6 am here and have to be at library at 9 - time to sleep - been listening to these soundbites for 3 hours now. This is beyond anything I dared to expect. I am one happy fruit.
August 12th, 2005 01:55 AM
maumau i think i agree with all you said

i think i need some good ole post from critcs to pinch me down because i think i'm dreaming

this sound solid

not exile or lib and blah blah blah, just a solid album from rs 2005
August 12th, 2005 02:59 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I pick up alot of Black and Blue vibe from this disk so far. Though I think it sounds even better! That's because of the reggae vibe that is so dominate on many of the tracks. It sounds like a kinda Black and Blue feel that has been more fully matured. If that makes any sense. I dig it! Yes I do!

I do also hear bits of Exile in there as well as some Tattoo You side 2 stuff going on. It's nice to finally get an album that will apparently live up to the hype!

Riffhard

Agreeing with everything here too! A lot of Black And Blue vibe (reggae, funk...) with, I might add, some punkish energy out of Some Girls... And the wide range brings in mind Tattoo indeed...
August 12th, 2005 03:39 AM
egon hangover or not, this post truly excites me.

And yes, i am writing this with my fully erect penis.
August 12th, 2005 09:37 AM
Lazy Bones I'm with Poison dart. If I was to make an comparable reference to any previous Stones' album, Emotional Rescue would get my nod.

Agreed, too, w/ Riffhard, the reggae tones on Bigger Band does have that enhanced/"matured" vibe of Black and Blue.

IMO, Rough Justice still takes albums' "best track" for me. Perhaps that because I've heard it the most. Although I like ONNYA - as do many others - the lyrics still have that run-on-sentence feel.
August 12th, 2005 01:18 PM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT "Biggest Mistake- Goddess in the Doorway meets Voodoo Lounge? Tough to tell with this one."

sounds like that will be the biggest mistake if it sounds like goddess...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)