ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: my night at The Phoenix Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 11th, 2005 10:46 AM
Mr Jimmy Last night I saw the world's greatest bar band. There's nothing quite like spending a night in a club with the Rolling Stones. I have no idea what the boots will sound like and I don't really care... if you were there, you know that they sounded great. Let's hope they play the tour with the same kind of mix... I actually heard guitars and even though I could see Chuck just several feet in front of me, I smiled at the "distance" of his sound. Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie had a great time... lots of smiles. It looks & sounds like they're just about ready to hit the road and that they want to play... lucky us!

The stage was so small that I could read the setlist which was written on the board next to Charlie's drums. It took away some of the surprise, but my anticipation grew during the warm up band because I knew that I was in for a fun night. We all have our own tastes, but I'll tell ya that Rough Justice sounded fantastic and it's a perfect song to start with in such a small place... great energy. I think you guys will really love it when you hear it nice & loud on the tour.

By now, I'm sure that all of you have already seen reviews so I won't drone on with my personal take but I'll just say a few things:

I haven't heard them perform She's So Cold in over twenty years, and forget the studio version because that song is so good when you hear it live. It was real good last night.

Great to see Mick playing some slide guitar on Back Of My Hand and then smiling after receiving a congratulatory slap on the back from Ronnie.

19th Nervous Breakdown was performed much slower with a totally different feel, and I hope that they play it for all of you when you catch your shows during the tour. It's a bit of a surprise take on the original.

Infamy, or more accurately In For Me has a great groove. It seems like a winner but I'll admit that I'm very biased as I'm a sucker for any reggae inspired Keith creation... I'm going to Jamaica next week! No surprise then when I tell you that I also loved Get Up Stand Up.

Keith thanked us, and twice referred to us as his "guinea pigs" ...man oh man do I love being a lab rodent for the Rolling Stones.

People can complain all they want about war horses but I could listen to Tumblin' Dice everyday for the rest of my life... it's the essence of the Rolling Stones.

And yes, after Mick, Keith, and Ronnie received their thank yous it was Charlie's turn to re-emerge on the stage all by himself to receive a special thank you from all of us... a great moment indeed.

Forget hyprbole... it was a fantastic evening. I hope they don't screw around with the mix because you're gonna love this tour.

I am one happy & lucky fan.

p.s. Sorry I have no photos.

August 11th, 2005 10:51 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:
p.s. Sorry I have no photos.

LOL I'm in the process of changing header and not sure if post another of Carlo, and when I saw your post I said to my self... "I have a header for today... Thanks Mr. Jimmy"

Anyway, great you made it, it was a real great shows based on the setlist, the reviews, and the photos
August 11th, 2005 10:52 AM
nankerphelge Hey Mr. Jimmy -- congrats man!!

How did Tumblin Dice sound -- I was hoping they'd 86 the Vegas act (sounds like they have cut back on the sidemen and women) and back to the old grind!!
August 11th, 2005 10:53 AM
sirmoonie Nice review. You are one lucky man!
August 11th, 2005 10:56 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Hey Mr. Jimmy -- congrats man!!

How did Tumblin Dice sound -- I was hoping they'd 86 the Vegas act (sounds like they have cut back on the sidemen and women) and back to the old grind!!

No Vegas last night. Everything on the side (singers & horns & Chuck) we're definitely on the SIDE and that's just where they belong. You would have loved it.
August 11th, 2005 11:01 AM
Madafaka Congrats Jimmy! You deserved that club gig.
August 11th, 2005 11:02 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

No Vegas last night. Everything on the side (singers & horns & Chuck) we're definitely on the SIDE and that's just where they belong. You would have loved it.

that's a great news, thans for the review Mr Lucky Jimmy
August 11th, 2005 11:03 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the review, and once again, for all of those rehearsal pix!!!

August 11th, 2005 11:04 AM
nankerphelge Oh boy, this is great!
August 11th, 2005 11:27 AM
throbby Mr. Jimmy! Thanks for taking the time these past few weeks.

Can't wait till the 21st!
August 11th, 2005 11:44 AM
gimmekeef Thanks Mr Jimmy!!!!..its threads like this that make this board great!!!!
August 11th, 2005 11:47 AM
voodoopug how was the tempo to She's So COld, similar to live in 81 or more true to the studio version?
August 11th, 2005 11:47 AM
Gazza
>Infamy, or more accurately In For Me has a great groove. It seems like a winner but I'll admit that I'm very biased as I'm a sucker for any reggae inspired Keith creation

when I heard that title I guessed it was a pun on "in for me".

Its probably over the heads of anyone who doesnt live in the UK, but I reckoned it was a tip of the hat to the late Kenneth Williams' in the 60's British comedy film "Carry On Cleo" where he was playing Julius Caesar. He's about to get murdered and turns to the camera and moans the immortal line "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it Infamy!"

Everyone in the UK over the age of about 35-40 would be familiar with that famous line, and with his love for the old English comedy tradition, I've no doubt thats where Keith got the inspiration from.

well done on getting in and thanks for the great review. You deserved a great night like that one
August 11th, 2005 11:50 AM
Monkeytonk-man sounds totally righteous man, respect.

Getting so excited about the album and tour I'm sportin' a woody every time I think aboutit.
August 11th, 2005 11:51 AM
Maxlugar I'd like to know the same about She's So Cold. Were the guitars spunky enough?

I'm also very curious about the guitars on Get Up Stand Up, too.

Thanks Mr. Jimmy.

August 11th, 2005 12:08 PM
Monkey Woman That's beautiful! Congrats again, Mr Jimmy, thanks for the review!!!
August 11th, 2005 12:12 PM
Joey

A Beautiful Story .............................

What a NIGHT !!!!!

Thanks Mr. Jimmy
August 11th, 2005 12:42 PM
ListenToTheLion Thanks mr jimmy. I am just curious how Ronnie played...
August 11th, 2005 12:56 PM
Lazy Bones I knew we could count on you!
August 11th, 2005 12:57 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Thanks mr jimmy. I am just curious how Ronnie played...

Ronnie played very well. Dead flowers was good.
August 11th, 2005 12:57 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I'd like to know the same about She's So Cold. Were the guitars spunky enough?

I'm also very curious about the guitars on Get Up Stand Up, too.

Tempo was studio but it had a nice raw/rough sound. Guitars weren't super spunky but spunky enough for my first live listen in over twenty years. As for Get Up Stand Up... it had a great vibe but I really can't say anything specific about the guitars because I was so busy singing (yelling?) to Lisa. She was so sexy last night, and after Get Up ended, she was laughing and blowing kisses to me. What a fun time.
August 11th, 2005 12:58 PM
rogerriffin Thanks Mr.Jimmy! You`re a great fan, hope meet ya in Toronto!

August 11th, 2005 01:00 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Its probably over the heads of anyone who doesnt live in the UK, but I reckoned it was a tip of the hat to the late Kenneth Williams' in the 60's British comedy film "Carry On Cleo" where he was playing Julius Caesar. He's about to get murdered and turns to the camera and moans the immortal line "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it Infamy!"

Everyone in the UK over the age of about 35-40 would be familiar with that famous line, and with his love for the old English comedy tradition, I've no doubt thats where Keith got the inspiration from.

Thanks for the info! I've come across the line a few times but didn't know where it was from. You really hear Keith say it in the song: "You've got it in for me!"
August 11th, 2005 01:06 PM
Maxlugar [quote]Mr Jimmy wrote:

Tempo was studio but it had a nice raw/rough sound. Guitars weren't super spunky but spunky enough for my first live listen in over twenty years. As for Get Up Stand Up... it had a great vibe but I really can't say anything specific about the guitars because I was so busy singing (yelling?) to Lisa. She was so sexy last night, and after Get Up ended, she was laughing and blowing kisses to me. What a fun time.

Thanks Jimmy!
August 11th, 2005 01:18 PM
Maxlugar Oh Jimmy! I almost forget. Did you see a film crew filming this thing by any chance?

August 11th, 2005 01:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Oh Jimmy! I almost forget. Did you see a film crew filming this thing by any chance?

a news clip in Toronto stated that the band had hired a group to professionally film the show.
August 11th, 2005 01:23 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Did you see a film crew filming this thing by any chance?

Yes... they had their own crew consisting of several people with hand helds. As far as I know, local media wasn't allowed into the show.
August 11th, 2005 01:24 PM
Maxlugar [quote]voodoopug wrote:

a news clip in Toronto stated that the band had hired a group to professionally film the show.

Oh thank you Puggy!

Do you like psychotic patriotic dog-wear?
August 11th, 2005 01:25 PM
Phog Mr Jimmy, congrats on getting into what sounds like a great show. Very happy for you.
August 11th, 2005 03:36 PM
Poplar
couldn't have hapened to a better ROer
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)