ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Craig... you rock!!
A Bigger Bang Tour Warm-up gig
©`Craig Martin from Classic Albums Live Toronto
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What a huge mistake... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
August 9th, 2005 09:24 AM
the good Hi everyone. This is my first post, although I have been reading the board for years. I wish I could start my posting by being more optomistic, but I am afraid that Mick's decision to include a political track on this album was a REALLY big mistake. His shot at the Bush administration, sweet Neo con, is already being discussed all over talk radio in the States. Now some of you might think because of your politics that this is great, and that this can only get them some publicity, but I think it reflects very poor judgement. I hope they don't become the next dixie chicks. I am just really surprised that a band, who has NEVER really been political, and always seemed to understand that its rather uncool to mix politics and entertainment, would do this so late in thier career. My biggest fear is that they will become embroiled in controversy over this song, and people will ignore the quality of the new material (which in my view, is very highg). I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
August 9th, 2005 09:33 AM
Maxlugar You are right. I was in the cafeteria this morning and the cashier had a radio on and I caught a bit of some woman going off about this.

It's the lead story on Drudge right now.

There was a small blurb about it in the NY Post Page Six today.

I think it's a huge mistake, all politics aside. This will not help sales on the tour. This is not a case of any publicity is good publicity. These are troubled times and the last thing roughly 50% of this country wants to hear is a lecture by millionaire Englishmen.

It doesn't bother me at all personally. I'll always love them.

It matters not what the song is really about. The story is quickly taking on a life of it's own.

From a business point of view this is insane.

August 9th, 2005 09:43 AM
Nellcote Credit to the Stones.
Get their name in the public view, with a Wicked Pissa lp, some controversial lyrics.
Get everyone's undies in a bunch....AND..cha-ching to the bank...
Don't we wish we all could do this?

BTW, the Good, welcome aboard.
August 9th, 2005 09:46 AM
Nasty Habits What the fuck are you talking about?!?!?

This is a band that got in huge trouble with (liberal) feminists because of Black and Blue, huge (radio) trouble with a (liberal) hugely influential black leader because of their "propogation" of racial stereotypes on Some Girls, and who somehow managed to survive and in fact thrive because they were pissing people off left and right.

And now the desperate-for-something-to-talk-about media world is talking about a Rolling Stones song NO ONE has heard yet, making all sorts of people anxious to hear, outraged by its comments, a month before it's released, and this is a HUGE mistake?

I don't get it, Maxy - it sounds like the same old strategy to me, and one they haven't deployed in too long.

What, is their conservative constituency going to initiate a boycott now? I thought boycotts were a liberal thing. And I thought liberals were supposed to be the little whiny crybabies.

Somebody call the WAAAmbulance.
August 9th, 2005 09:58 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
And I thought liberals were supposed to be the little whiny crybabies.

hey! from where i sit, the conservatives around here do much more of the whining (with the exception of that one guy that whines about everything)...

quote:
Somebody call the WAAAmbulance.

quote of the day.
August 9th, 2005 09:59 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

This will not help sales on the tour. This is not a case of any publicity is good publicity.

Nothing can save the Detroit show --- it is THE ' textbook ' definition of an unmitigated disaster .

Jazzy !
August 9th, 2005 10:11 AM
The_Worst
quote:
the good wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first post, although I have been reading the board for years. I wish I could start my posting by being more optomistic, but I am afraid that Mick's decision to include a political track on this album was a REALLY big mistake. His shot at the Bush administration, sweet Neo con, is already being discussed all over talk radio in the States. Now some of you might think because of your politics that this is great, and that this can only get them some publicity, but I think it reflects very poor judgement. I hope they don't become the next dixie chicks. I am just really surprised that a band, who has NEVER really been political, and always seemed to understand that its rather uncool to mix politics and entertainment, would do this so late in thier career. My biggest fear is that they will become embroiled in controversy over this song, and people will ignore the quality of the new material (which in my view, is very highg). I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

You guys couldn't have said it better... Of course the Bush haters of the world are gonna say "It's great that someone calls out Bush" & all the other BS but they are going to piss off & alienate alot of people... Of course these same people will give the line of "Oh well, republicans can't be Stones fans" which is total BS too...

Back when we had our election last year Mick was asked who he favored and he said he stays out of politics that aren't in his own country. I remember thinking how great it was that my favorite band just stays out of politics. I don't want a ringing endorsement of Bush but I don't want him bashed either...I don't want to hear it either way.

Next thing we know, the Stones are in France to record an album (in the most anti-American country this side of the Middle East by the way), and all of a sudden the Stones have changed into Green Day?

If you ask me, Mick sounds like a hyprocrite in this case.

Then on top of it, the people who are constantly bashing the Stones saying they are only doing the tour for money are saying how great it is that they are doing this for money...

Is that what the Stones are about? The Stones have always been above the fray. I have gained alot of respect for Keith & lost some for Mick. Keith said they should stay out & he was right. He also said the other side said people would say it is all about money and he is right again...

I guess this is just further proof why Keith has always been my favorite Stone...
August 9th, 2005 10:13 AM
jb The righties must not go to Stones shows, but sign up for Iraq duty!!!!
August 9th, 2005 10:15 AM
jb
quote:
jb wrote:
The righties must not go to Stones shows, but sign up for Iraq duty!!!!

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3rs.htm
August 9th, 2005 10:15 AM
exile
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
What the fuck are you talking about?!?!?

This is a band that got in huge trouble with (liberal) feminists because of Black and Blue, huge (radio) trouble with a (liberal) hugely influential black leader because of their "propogation" of racial stereotypes on Some Girls, and who somehow managed to survive and in fact thrive because they were pissing people off left and right.

And now the desperate-for-something-to-talk-about media world is talking about a Rolling Stones song NO ONE has heard yet, making all sorts of people anxious to hear, outraged by its comments, a month before it's released, and this is a HUGE mistake?

Quite right!
come on there is always some sort of huge publicity commotion that happens just before a stones album

...the above mentioned before Black and Blue and Some Girls...also does anyone remember the uproar of Mick's illegitimate child to a brazilian model before Bridges To Babylon. That all came out just before the release of that album.

basically any publicity is good publicity

Hell look at Paris Hilton for Gods sake.....

August 9th, 2005 10:17 AM
gimmekeef CAN WE JUST PLEASE WAIT TILL WE HEAR THE FUCKING SONG!!!!!
August 9th, 2005 10:21 AM
jb Thed Righties are enraged!!! Can't wait ti see FOX NEWS.....!!!!!
August 9th, 2005 10:22 AM
throbby Yes, off to Iraq, to protect our rights, some of which are noted in the first amendment of the constitution.

Remember, "they hate us for our freedom". Would that include freedom of speech?
[Edited by throbby]
August 9th, 2005 10:23 AM
blackandblue
quote:
jb wrote:
Thed Righties are enraged!!! Can't wait ti see FOX NEWS.....!!!!!

Your spelling need attention!
August 9th, 2005 10:24 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Yes, to protect our rights, some of which are noted in the first amendment of the constitution.

Remember, "they hate us for our freedom". Would that include freedom of speech?

This is great Throbby!!! I lalwasy found it odd how many right wing conservzatives here loved the Stones...they must not go to the concerts !!! Please burn your tickets or give them to us "Lefties"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 9th, 2005 10:25 AM
blackandblue Have you been drinking?
Monkey Woman
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I think it's a huge mistake, all politics aside. This will not help sales on the tour.

Great, maybe the scalpers will lower the price tag on tickets, now...

quote:
The story is quickly taking on a life of it's own.

Wow! You gotta love the Internets!

quote:

It's nice to see that the Stones can do a business mistake at this stage... So Mick wrote it and included in the purely from deep conviction, then? For a cold blooded financial cynic, that's nice to know. If Rupert Murdoch can have political convictions and act out on them, so may Mick, obviously.

But I'd have no fear about ticket sales, most of the venues are nearly sold out, or so they say. The Stones did take care not to let the cat out of the bag too early...

Who knows, maybe this will attract to the Stones some of the liberal student types who only listen Radiohead or alternative music!
jb
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Have you been drinking?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 9th, 2005 10:27 AM
Taptrick
I like Bush. I like Connie. I like it when the Stones just rock - but I think all this publicity will be great. Good to see them in the public eye again.

August 9th, 2005 10:28 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
exile wrote:
also does anyone remember the uproar of Mick's illegitimate child to a brazilian model before Bridges To Babylon. That all came out just before the release of that album.

A little after that, actually, but in time to boost the No Security tour!
August 9th, 2005 10:29 AM
The Wick I find this argument about Jagger being a hypocrite ridiculous. What he said was that he comes from the school that doesn't believe in commenting on other countries' ELECTIONS, he didn't say that just because some conservatives don't like it, he has lost his right to comment on the world. What I find amazing is that people are criticizing him for his right to say whatever the hell he wants. I make no bones about my extremely liberal bias, but I sure as hell wouldn't question some conservative singing about what they want like Toby Keith. Even though I find him to be a total tool, I still think he has ever right to sing about sticking boots up asses (his own would be the best choice). I might criticize the lyrics for various reasons, but his right to say this is undeniable. I have been hugely critical of SOL and in listening to the album, I won't say it is good just because he has put in Neocon. Yet, at least it shows that Jagger hasn't totally sold out and can still ruffle a few feathers. I just wish we had more of this kind of Jagger. Not a political band: Street Fighting Man, Sympathy, Undercover, Highwire, Blinded by Rainbows. These songs all had in some cases, overtly political messages and in other ones, more subtle ones. They're not overtly political like other bands, but to say that they are not political is missing the mark. By the way, JB, you're spot on.
[Edited by The Wick]
August 9th, 2005 10:31 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

I like Bush. I like Connie. I like it when the Stones just rock - but I think all this publicity will be great. Good to see them in the public eye again.

Yes, because they make mincemeat of Bush it doesn't mean the song doesn't rocks!
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

This is great Throbby!!! I lalwasy found it odd how many right wing conservzatives here loved the Stones...they must not go to the concerts !!! Please burn your tickets or give them to us "Lefties"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people need to get off their horses and stop the bitching. Go grab any so called "hip hop" album out there and pick nearly any track....the message in those songs is a hell of a lot worse than someone disagreeing with our leadership, particularly in a time where the general population is split themselves......in case anyone didnt notice, there have been numerous political statements made by performers in the past. If you want Political correctness....I hear that Macca puts on a great show these days. and if you think that the stones are the only performers who have an opinion...go see a U2 or a Pearl Jam show.

Their are too many here who are weak and are becoming mindless sheep. The stones do not need you as fans, and i do not need to read the complaints about a song that no one here has likely even heard. I will be placing a bucket in front of Fenway Park, Gate 4. For those of you who are too influenced by your superiors and just cannot bring yourself to accept a song with a political focal point, please drop your tickets in the box, i will then scalp the tickets at face value and donate the proceeds to a childrens charity.
Monkey Woman
quote:
jb wrote:

No chance! It's one thing to bitch about a song, another to give away a hard won ticket!
August 9th, 2005 10:34 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Monkey Woman wrote:

Who knows, maybe this will attract to the Stones some of the liberal student types who only listen Radiohead or alternative music!

You might have a point. Michigan with it's huge Islamic populace just might mean sell out for Detriot now!

All together now!: Waaa la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la! Waaaaaaaaa la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!!!!!!

August 9th, 2005 10:36 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]Monkey Woman wrote:

You might have a point. Michigan with it's huge Islamic populace just might mean sell out for Detriot now!

All together now!: Waaa la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la! Waaaaaaaaa la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!!!!!!

Detroit is a bust and should be cancelled! should have put the show in the Palace of Auburn Hills....Comerica will feature far many more "bad seats" than good seats
August 9th, 2005 10:38 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

You singin that Streets Of Love chorus, now?

Oh, the drama!
August 9th, 2005 10:39 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Michigan with it's huge Islamic populace just might mean sell out for Detriot now!

You raise a very interesting point my .. ss .. Wall Street Working , 9th Street for lunching , .. ss .. , Bob Marley listening , funny upside down roof building ..... ss ........... Wait !!!! ...... ss ... WTF ?!?! ..... ss .. What in the Hell is going on around here ?!?! .. ss .. Oh, OH !!!!!! .... ss ... Oh , NO !!!!! .. ss .. look out everyone ...... ss ...... HERE IT COMES !!!!!!! :

.. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss .. ss

..............................ss ! "

Jackykins !

[Edited by Joey]
August 9th, 2005 10:39 AM
The Wick
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Latent (or maybe even overt) racism well noted.
August 9th, 2005 10:40 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]Monkey Woman wrote:

isnt it strange when we agree?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)