ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Palais Royale. Toronto - August 16, 2002
Everybody seems to be ready! Are you ready?
For the first time in three years, ladies and gentlemen THE ROLLING STONES!!!
Photo by J.P. Moczulski
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:
Begin PicoSearch Code

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Remit above picture Return to archive
08-09-02 02:00 AM
Ken I don't know shit about playing the guitar.
But I notice Bob and Keiths hands are way
up on the neck. Then Ronnies are a few frets
down. Now look at Bob eye balling Ronnie. He
looks like he's looking at him as to say what
the heck are you playing?
08-09-02 11:39 AM
stonedinaustralia it looks like they're pretty much all playing G chords...keith and bob in the open spot and ronnie on the barred 3rd fret

however,if you've seen and/or heard the performance, you'd be excused for thinking that while they may have all been playing the same song they were all in different keys, different tempos and all playing to a different beat...

honestly, it was truly diabolical but at the same time, and perhaps for that very reason, almost heroic and it was certainly a bit tragic because it could have been so much better than it was

as i understand it, bob changed the set list at the last minute axing some numbers they had rehearsed and pulling "the ballad of hollis brown" out of no-where just as they were taking the stage... then when they get on stage there's no foldback as that is all behind the curtain where things are being set up for the big finish

but you're right, bob looks like he's got absolutely no idea what's going on

08-09-02 11:49 AM
Maxlugar I remember watching that whole live AID thing from beginning to end in my underwear from morning to night. Ever drink beers in your underwear? There is something so right about that.

How come that show never came out on video?

The one thing I remember was every band sounding so good.

Then the ending with Keith, Bob and Ronnie just horrible. You could not tell what songs they were playing and the guitars sounded like total crap. Midway through, my Guild ran into the bathroom and got sick.

Mick was great though, as usual.

Queen was a big standout to me. And the Cars were go too.

08-09-02 12:00 PM
Ken
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

however,if you've seen and/or heard the performance, you'd be excused for thinking that while they may have all been playing the same song they were all in different keys, different tempos and all playing to a different beat...

as i understand it, bob changed the set list at the last minute axing some numbers they had rehearsed and pulling "the ballad of hollis brown" out of no-where just as they were taking the stage... then when they get on stage there's no foldback as that is all behind the curtain where things are being set up for the big finish

but you're right, bob looks like he's got absolutely no idea what's going on

I was actually at Live Aide so I know what your talking about. Also they did rehearse Hollis Brown. I have the rehearsal tapes.

Send me your email and I'll burn you a copy.

Thanks for the reply,

Ken

08-09-02 12:10 PM
stonedinaustralia ken, thanks for setting me straight on that point - just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything (or should that be anything)you read

i saw it on tv - when keith & ronnie were announced i was stunned - but never did such high expectation descend into such a deep pit of disappointment so quickly

and thanks for the kind offer - i'll be in touch soon - i can't wait to hear what could/should have happened

cheers
08-09-02 01:19 PM
Ken
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
and thanks for the kind offer - i'll be in touch soon - i can't wait to hear what could/should have happened

cheers

New York in the basement of Ron Wood.
Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Bob Dylan
rehearsing Dylan songs for the upcoming Live Aid concert.

01 Blowin' In The Wind
02 Unknown
03 Ballad Of Hollis Brown
04 Careless Ethiopians
05 Conversation #1
06 Blowin' In The Wind
07 Conversation #2
08 Ballad Of Hollis Brown Jam #1
09 Ballad Of Hollis Brown Jam #2
10 Ballad Of Hollis Brown Jam #3
11 Conversation #3
12 When The Ship Comes In #1
13 When The Ship Comes In #2
14 Dark Eyes #1
15 Dark Eyes #2
16 Conversation #4
17 Ballad Of Hollis Brown Jam #4
18 Intro Philadelphia, PA
19 Ballad Of Hollis Brown Philadelphia, PA
20 When The Ship Comes In Philadelphia, PA
21 Blowin' In The Wind Philadelphia, PA

There is some talk about Mick Taylor on here too.
I think it's track 5. Kind of interesting.

Ken
08-09-02 01:36 PM
T&A The problem at live aid was that Quincy Jones had them turn off the stage monitors so that everyone backstage (behind the curtain) could tune up and get ready for the finale (We Are the Fucking World - that piece of shit song). Bob/Keith/Ron couldn't hear themselves on stage at all. It would have been a great trio of songs.
08-09-02 02:26 PM
jb Max-were you serious about your Queen comment? Please say it ain't so!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road