ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio da Dragao, Oporto, Portugal - 12th August 2996
© Juanillo!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: just curious... Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th August 2006 11:47 AM
Saint Sway who here goes to see bands live at small venues - bars/clubs etc???

Do most folks here go to stadium/arena type shows/acts like Stones/Springsteen/Clapton/U2/Tom Petty etc... or are do you also go and check out current bands at small clubs?

if so... who/where/and when were some of the acts you saw?
11th August 2006 11:48 AM
Some Guy sup Sway?
11th August 2006 11:53 AM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
who here goes to see bands live at small venues - bars/clubs etc???

Do most folks here go to stadium/arena type shows/acts like Stones/Springsteen/Clapton/U2/Tom Petty etc... or are do you also go and check out current bands at small clubs?

Smaller venues mostly, or at least preffered. Current does not mean small club, I saw Ray Davies and Raconteurs in the same venue about a week apart. Springsteen plays small venues all the time...
The reason most people go to arena shows, is the same reason people buy a greatest hits package by a band that they also own every CD they put out. People want what's safe and familiar when it comes to music.
11th August 2006 01:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot I go, almost exclusively, to small shows. This year Dylan will be the exception...I see him at a minor league baseball stadium this time.

Here are some of the clubs I go to, and some of the bands that I've seen there:

9:30 Club, Wash DC:

Sex Pistols
Cracker
Drive By Truckers

Ottobar, Balto MD:

Dead Moon
Juliette & The Licks
The Supersuckers

Mojo Room, Balto MD(RIP, closed in June):

The Fleshtones
The Woggles
Ian McLagan & The Bump Band
Cobra Verde

Sonar, Balto MD

The Electric Six
The Blue Van

The North Star Bar, Philly:

The Chesterfeild Kings
The Romantics
The Dirtbombs
The Reigning Sound
Buzzcocks
The Greenhornes
Shelby Lynne
Alison Moorer
The Raveonettes
The Star Spangles
The Detroit Cobras

The Khyber, Philly

Brian Jonestown Massacre
Soledad Brothers
Hellacopters

First Unitarian Church, Philly

Easy Action
The Delgados
Radio Birdman

The Whitacker Center, Harrisburg PA

Cracker
Steve Earle
Joe Jackson
Todd Rundgren(free ticket...couldn't say no...)

The Crowbar, State College PA(RIP closed in May)

The Yardbirds
The English Beat
Rev. Horton Heat
(maybe The Drive By Truckers late Sept., it says confirmed on DBT site, but the place is closed down...so I don't know what is going on there.)

The Chameleon, Lancaster PA

The Pixies(circa 1988!)
Mr. Airplane Man
Paul Westerberg
The Detroit Cobras
Rev. Horton Heat
Frank Black
(maybe the Drive By Truckers late Sept.)

NYC:

Roseland: Stones, Nick Cave, Bowie, Sex Pistols
BB Kings: Dumpstafunk
Nokia: The Pogues

There's lots more, but that should give you a pretty good flavor. I'd go to more shows if my work schedule would allow it...
11th August 2006 01:09 PM
Some Guy I like those Ian Billen quotes, classic.
11th August 2006 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot I wish Ian would post more....
11th August 2006 01:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey Sir what about Brian Jonestown Massacre, are they good on stage? how is their show? Do they make any reference to Brian? I heard an MP3 file some years ago but just that... just curious
11th August 2006 01:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Before I we had the two kids, we would go to a handful of nearby clubs to catch local acts, probably 3-4 times per month if my old band was not playing. Now with my increased professional schedule and desire to spend most/all of my free time with my wife/kids, I rarely get out to see the local music scene aside from occassionally catching bands that my friends perform in.

Summer does give one nice exception in that many of the suburbs of Chicago have annual "festivals" which feature carnivals, games, food vendors, and open air all ages music. My wife and I attended several of these as we like the live music (and my oldest son loves it too, especially if we see Hot Rocks Chicago as the let him sit on the edge of the stage behind the amps...he feels like a little roadie I guess and he does his imitation of the jb inspired "Slide Dance" and he loves riding the big slide that many carnivals have.
11th August 2006 01:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot What are the BJM like on stage?

Rent the movie "Dig!". It's just like that. Brilliant music that degenerates into a trainwreck of chaos and fisticuffs. I always thought that stuff was a put on for the movie...until it happened right in front of me. I almost got hit by a flying guitar case. No shit.

Here is something strange...I get messages from Anton Newcombe on MySpace almost daily. I don't know if it is because I replied to the first one he sent or what, but for whatever reason, he has decided to talk to me.

The guy is VERY strange, and at times VERY funny. And so far he hasn't ever mentioned Brian.

If you want to check out their music, I recommend "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland". It's a 2 disc "greatest hits even though they never had any hits" collection. You can usually get it pretty cheap at the Amazon marketplace.

Here's Dig! cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007IO740/sr=1-1/qid=1155317993/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6811852-7018427?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Here's Tepid peppermint Wonderland cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00065U036/sr=1-1/qid=1155318093/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6811852-7018427?ie=UTF8&s=music
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
11th August 2006 02:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Sir

Back to topic, I use to go to small venues here, most of the time local bands. Many bands who play small venus in the States come here and play arenas, or "not too small" theatres.

11th August 2006 02:25 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I'm always goin to Charlotte to see great rock bands, cause columbia's local music scene fuckin' sucks hariy donkey dick!
11th August 2006 02:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

I'm always goin to Charlotte to see great rock bands, cause columbia's local music scene fuckin' sucks hariy donkey dick!

ever head to Chapel Hill? My brothers bands from there. They're an old-school style rag-tag country band called Two Dollar Pistols. They play all over NC
11th August 2006 02:46 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

ever head to Chapel Hill? My brothers bands from there. They're an old-school style rag-tag country band called Two Dollar Pistols. They play all over NC

Chapel Hill is beautiful! Did you go to the Duke Stones concert? I was there next to the b-stage, great show that was! But a band I go see alot, in charlotte is BlancoDiablo....www.myspace.com/blancodiablo
11th August 2006 02:49 PM
pdog Sir Stonesalot has exceptional taste in music...
And he's a nice guy too, drove out og his way to get me in Philly and go see a show at The Northstar.
He didn't raise the bar, he took the bar and threw it into the heart of lame music!
11th August 2006 02:50 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
pdog wrote:
Sir Stonesalot has exceptional taste in music...
And he's a nice guy too, drove out og his way to get me in Philly and go see a show at The Northstar.
He didn't raise the bar, he took the bar and threw it into the heart of lame music!

The Groove Is In The Heart....
11th August 2006 02:50 PM
Saint Sway my friends band "New Heathens" gig in NC a lot. They'll be in Raleigh on Sept 1. Ck em out if you can. I'll make sure they throw a Stones cover in the set for ya.
11th August 2006 02:51 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
my friends band "New Heathens" gig in NC a lot. They'll be in Raleigh on Sept 1. Ck em out if you can. I'll make sure they throw a Stones cover in the set for ya.

You gonna be there....
11th August 2006 02:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
You gonna be there....

I'll let you know if I am.

back to the thread...

before I wrote this I had a pretty good sense that SS, Pdog and SheRat and a few others that ck out current bands. But I'm still curious about the majority here. Is it arena/stadium rock or bust? Or do folks here also ck out smaller rock bands at clubs?

when folks here go to see live music is it just the arena acts?

I ask because I'm confused by the state of rock music these days and what people are into.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
11th August 2006 02:58 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, small shows are so much more ...participatory. You are sooooo close to the band and the music. It's not like an arena show or a big stadium where you just sit back and watch the jumbotron from 1/4 mile away from the stage. The people in the band SEE you, they HEAR you, they actually talk to you...and they feed off the vibe. When was the last time that you left a big stadium show drenched in sweat...in the middle of winter?

And there are no $40.00 t shirts and $25.oo CDs at small shows...CDs and LPs are usually $10.00, Shirts between $10.00-$15.00, and you are buying FROM THE BAND. They usually man the merch table. If you buy a CD or a poster, they'll sign it for you. Merch money is gas and food money for them...so I always try to drop $25.00 at the merch table. That money is really helpful to them.

At the North Star and Khyber in Philly...if you get there early to catch soundcheck...you will usually end up drinking with the bands. The cool thing is that they genuinely appreciate you coming out and spending money on them.

I've pretty much sworn off big shows. There are exceptions, of course...I saw the Stones at MSG, and Dylan will be at a minor league ball park. But I can't imagine going to another huge show. Maybe Neil Young if he tours with Crazy Horse again...
11th August 2006 03:09 PM
Madafaka I go to small concerts very often. I like them!
I could do my list, but mostly you don't know them, because are Argentinian bands.
11th August 2006 03:30 PM
Dan I used to go to club shows almost exclusively. Now I don't really like a lot of the clubs around here and they are a hassle getting to and back. Also a lot of friend's bands have broken up. I think the only club show I have been to all year is Mad Juana at the Knitting Factory. I go to a lot of instores at Amoeba Music and I can always tank up early at happy hour at the Cat N Fiddle.

Nowadays I go to arena shows more due to cost and convenience as well as central locations. Often I can get tickets in the $0-20 range for large shows. Kinda hit gig burnout in 2004 (one week I went to a record 7 shows in 5 days) and when I got the DVD burner I started to prefer the concert experience in the comfort of my own home to actually having to go out.
11th August 2006 03:51 PM
GotToRollMe I've been to many, many club gigs over the years and have seen some of the best live shows this way (Johnny Thunders, The Ramones, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, etc.)If I had a choice, I'd rather see my favorite band in a club than anywhere else.

I've also seen some great theater shows (i.e., The Theater at MSG, Beacon, Capitol, Irving Plaza, Academy, etc.) I've seen Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, etc, in theaters and it was great. This would be my second choice.

If I have no other choice and I really want to see someone live, I'll go to MSG. It's not that bad as arenas go, but I'll only do it for the Stones these days.

If I have no other choice and I really want to see someone live and I think it might be the last time I ever see them (i.e., the Stones Fall Tour)and I think there might be a chance that they won't play MSG, I'll go to a stadium show, but I won't be happy about it. I hate stadium shows. In fact, that's one of the reasons I haven't seen the Stones more times over the years. There's nothing like sitting hundreds of yards away and watching your favorite band through binoculars. Feh.

11th August 2006 03:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I'll let you know if I am.

back to the thread...

before I wrote this I had a pretty good sense that SS, Pdog and SheRat and a few others that ck out current bands. But I'm still curious about the majority here. Is it arena/stadium rock or bust? Or do folks here also ck out smaller rock bands at clubs?

when folks here go to see live music is it just the arena acts?

I ask because I'm confused by the state of rock music these days and what people are into.

[Edited by Saint Sway]

The only bands I attend multiple shows of in major venues are the Stones and Pearl Jam.
11th August 2006 03:55 PM
jb
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I've been to many, many club gigs over the years and have seen some of the best live shows this way (Johnny Thunders, The Ramones, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, etc.)If I had a choice, I'd rather see my favorite band in a club than anywhere else.

I've also seen some great theater shows (i.e., The Theater at MSG, Beacon, Capitol, Irving Plaza, Academy, etc.) I've seen Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, etc, in theaters and it was great. This would be my second choice.

If I have no other choice and I really want to see someone live, I'll go to MSG. It's not that bad as arenas go, but I'll only do it for the Stones these days.

If I have no other choice and I really want to see someone live and I think it might be the last time I ever see them (i.e., the Stones Fall Tour)and I think there might be a chance that they won't play MSG, I'll go to a stadium show, but I won't be happy about it. I hate stadium shows. In fact, that's one of the reasons I haven't seen the Stones more times over the years. There's nothing like sitting hundreds of yards away and watching your favorite band through binoculars. Feh.

I am not permitted to go out to Bars or Clubs ever since the
Susan Lucci incident.
11th August 2006 04:00 PM
Joey

Sup My Nizzles .............................

I will be seeing " Acoustic Groove " tonight at The Brazen Head .........

......and you ?!

11th August 2006 04:01 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Joey wrote:

Sup My Nizzles .............................

I will be seeing " Acoustic Groove " tonight at The Brazen Head .........

......and you ?!

Hopefully, gettin laid....lol
jb ou are young, single and handsome-you should be out every night banging anything that walks!!! I did when I was your age..
Sir Stonesalot Acoustic Groove???

Oh good lord....

JB...I'm not allowed to go to bars or clubs either(although it has nothing to do with Susan Lucci). But I go anyhow.

You see, I actually have testicles.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
11th August 2006 04:03 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
jb wrote:
ou are young, single and handsome-you should be out every night banging anything that walks!!! I did when I was your age..

I am talkin' to this one chick who works at a bar, called new brookland tavern....I hope to get lucky, soon
11th August 2006 04:03 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Me either(although it has nothing to do with Susan Lucci), but I go anyhow.

Some lessons are learned the hard way....hope to see ya sometime on the road.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)