ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CYHMK? (live & studio versions)? Return to archive
August 3rd, 2004 07:47 AM
piratekeef Hi there,

I don't know - but are there any Stones studiotakes/rehearsel stuff/live versions available of that song (Can't You Hear Me Knocking?) prior to 2002 ? I know that Mick Taylor played this song live from 1986 onwards. Maybe you could shed some light on the Stones versions....

piratekeef
August 3rd, 2004 10:13 AM
Gazza nope..nothing

The Stones played it live probably a couple of times at the start of the 1971 UK tour but no recording of it has ever surfaced.

No tour rehearsal or outtake has ever circulated of it either.

The first live performance in circulation was from the Palais Royale show in Toronto on 16th August 2002.
August 3rd, 2004 10:18 AM
jb I recently received the "silver train" and "100 years" Vienna performances...these are special treats which were not repeated....
August 3rd, 2004 10:22 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The first live performance in circulation was from the Palais Royale show in Toronto on 16th August 2002.

Depends on which copy you have. One copy in circulation has the rehearsal rendition of the song inserted as the live recording had some 'technical' problems.
August 3rd, 2004 10:25 AM
Gazza thats a new one on me!

Are these audience recordings? The only version I have is the soundboard.

OK - if theres a rehearsal available from (presumably the afternoon of?) 16.8.02 then thats the first circulating version. Thanks!
August 3rd, 2004 10:33 AM
Lazy Bones I'm sure the copy I have has the rehearsal rendition. It's a soundboard recording with the rehearsal injected. You can tell by the few individuals that applaud after the song - only a handfull.

Gazza, let me double-check tonight. Keep an eye on your PM...
August 3rd, 2004 10:34 AM
jb Toronto version sucked big time...
August 3rd, 2004 11:26 AM
Zeeta Yeah the version on licks was fairly lame. But was saved by Ron's superb solo - usually! I was listening to the bootleg of the Manchester version and Keith is just merely suspending the D chord rather than what happens on the recorded version. i.e. it ROCKS!
August 3rd, 2004 11:32 AM
jb I think we can all agree that CYHMK was a nice attempt which failed miserably.....any song which requires any significant guitar work(HB, HOF, GS) all have suffered terribly b/c of the downward spiral of RW and KR...
August 3rd, 2004 12:01 PM
Mel Belli I've heard a bunch of CYHMKs -- mostly from Ulf -- and RW's playing got progressively more atrocious as the tour went on. As much as I'd like to think you wallow in cynicism, JB, I think you're right on this one.

Ronnie can't even do those simple lead lines on YCAGWYW anymore. How many times did he drop the ball on "Worried About You"?

Ulf had a "Wild Horses" from '76 recently, and Ronnie's solo on it was smokin'. I listen to him on "Miss You" from '89, and he's passable even that late in the game.

Gawd, he's really deteriorated.
August 3rd, 2004 12:34 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
I think we can all agree that CYHMK was a nice attempt which failed miserably.....any song which requires any significant guitar work(HB, HOF, GS) all have suffered terribly b/c of the downward spiral of RW and KR...

Jb,I don t agree. I ve heard good version of this one, on several Licks boots, but also miserable and so poor versions.....

But,yes,good point, it s typical to our Stones Sound of 21st century: good moments (Ronnie solo on FF,Keith completely out, and that s where i m not ok with you) and lame performances (Roseland Ballroom if I m correct, and well you can t be wrong with this one )

As it s finally always the same fu**ng question, the same answer goes:

"take it or leave it" (even if it's sad, isn t it just...Life??)

Cheers

JU
August 3rd, 2004 01:07 PM
Jumping Jack JB, you can add ADTL and Bitch to that list as well which is why they get drowned out by the horns and keyboard.
August 3rd, 2004 01:13 PM
jb Bitch didn't even sound good in 89!!! ADTL is atrocious....In fact, most of what they play today is horrible....and yet we still love 'em? Holding on to ancient memories I guess...
[Edited by jb]
August 3rd, 2004 02:17 PM
Soldatti It's true that the hability on the play is falling with the years, but see they playing live is an incredible experience, and no other act in the world can do that.
August 3rd, 2004 04:25 PM
Moonisup there is 1!
ON the Rattlesnake Cd *knock on wood* Cyhmk was added as a bonus track, and it\s from the Amsterdam Rehearsals with Bernard on vocals.
August 3rd, 2004 04:30 PM
Moonisup besides that, CYHMK got worse during the EURO tour, mainly due to Ronnie. IN ahoy, he just stopped and ran behind the amps without any reason, a complete disaster, and when Ronnie got it, keith fucked up the riff, it's too fast for him these days, that's no shame, but just play another song. But they tried, and that's cool